Frontier to drop VR support in 2020?

I'm hearing disturbing rumours that the big update for the game coming later this year is to drop VR support as the new features will not be feasible in Virtual Reality.

Now I don't believe rumour, however, this one has a grain of possibility due to the possible inclusion of space legs, and that might be more difficult to add.

Has anyone else heard of this?

• Like (+1)
Reactions: mol
this fear has been rumbling on for some time, partly around DB's comments on VR and partly due to the poor implementation of recent updates that clearly didn't have VR in mind when they were conceived and through to their implementation.

It's a solid concern, not least as FD have made no attempts to allay these fears. Shocking, I know!

In my opinion, if they drop VR from ED then that would be the end of the game for me. I've been in the game since it's first days of Alpha, backed silly money on the KS, it would be a massive shame, but going back to ED pancake just isn't something i want to do, even if they do give me legs (which I don't feel I need in a space sim anyway)

:(

this fear has been rumbling on for some time, partly around DB's comments on VR and partly due to the poor implementation of recent updates that clearly didn't have VR in mind when they were conceived and through to their implementation.

It's a solid concern, not least as FD have made no attempts to allay these fears. Shocking, I know!

In my opinion, if they drop VR from ED then that would be the end of the game for me. I've been in the game since it's first days of Alpha, backed silly money on the KS, it would be a massive shame, but going back to ED pancake just isn't something i want to do, even if they do give me legs (which I don't feel I need in a space sim anyway)

:(
Is it that time of year again already or are we doing these bi-annually now - I lose track :geek:

Hmmm let’s see, Mac support dropped because it wasn’t a big money spinner, so much so that they offered refunds to anyone who brought ED wanting to play on Mac.
Seriously, how do you think VR is going to play out here?

I don't need VR nor do I need legs. Going from the forum ramblings the game will left for me and a handful others. Interesting times ahead... 🥳
But worry you not, I'll take all your then utter useless VR devices for a fair disposal fee. 😁
Seriously though (darn, that was serious!) I strongly doubt this will happen. They still have to drive a business and should know their customers.

Last edited:
I think VR-loss worries are on a par with those “having to walk to do things we currently do from a menu” type worries concerning the possible legs expansion.

It will be an optional DLC - the base game + Horizons will continue to be the same game as it is now, you just won’t get to play with the new toys if you don’t buy the expansion pack.

Although VR support has been less than stellar, it still occasionally gets updates sneaked into releases (a curved screen for one of the menus) and fixes (asteroid shadows only rendering in one eye during a Beta), so I expect fears about support being dropped will prove unfounded. I don’t expect VR in the new DLC will be on a par with dedicated VR games - I think it’ll more likely be akin to Subnautica VR or the Alien: Isolation mod - but I am willing to be surprised by full motion controls, FDev ;)

Hmmm let’s see, Mac support dropped because it wasn’t a big money spinner, so much so that they offered refunds to anyone who brought ED wanting to play on Mac.
Seriously, how do you think VR is going to play out here?
Macs with their over priced second rate hardware that was designed to run Windows :sneaky: Personally, when they went ED VR on the Mac, from the start I thought FDev had lost the plot. Nice to see that rationale has prevailed.

Last edited:
Macs with their over priced second rate hardware that was designed to run Windows :sneaky: Personally, I when they went ED VR on the Mac from the start, I thought FDev had lost the plot. Nice to see that rationale has prevailed.
I think you are missing my point (with your inaccurate comment, but that’s for another thread ;))
VR is a niche market that requires a lot of dev time, even on windows. History tells us that FD won’t put in the effort if it doesn’t make them cash, why should they it’s not a charity. Ergo where do you think that leaves VR

I think you are missing my point (with your inaccurate comment, but that’s for another thread ;))
Nope :)

VR is a niche market that requires a lot of dev time, even on windows. History tells us that FD won’t put in the effort if it doesn’t make them cash, why should they it’s not a charity. Ergo where do you think that leaves VR
Oh no - the old niche argument again despite headset sales now into the millions year on year. What was fun the last time this went around was that people here were actually citing market reporting which they hadn't read themselves and the author admitted he hadn't done his research. I vaguely recall one going up recently with the entirety of one segment missing.

Oh no - the old niche argument again despite headset sales now into the millions year on year. What was fun the last time this went around was that people here were actually citing market reporting which they hadn't read themselves and the author admitted he hadn't done his research. I vaguely recall one going up recently with the entirety of one segment missing.
I agree with you on this point, I game with VR wherever possible and hope the ED maintains support. However, I don’t have high hopes

Steam hardware survey says 1.29% of Users own a VR headset. Not a large target audience.

Which isn't accurate at all. That survey only includes people that happen to have their headset plugged in when it pops up. Most people unplug and store their vr when not in use.

VR is taking off and constantly sold out at the moment mostly because of half-life alyx. If they were to stop now and not allow the new vr users to experience Ed that would be stupid. I just got back into ED since I got a Reverb this last week. It's awesome to say the least. Without vr it would just sit in my library like it has the last year.

Which isn't accurate at all. That survey only includes people that happen to have their headset plugged in when it pops up. Most people unplug and store their vr when not in use.
Wow - if that's just active users then the user base is many times larger which is also more consistent with the sales figures and forecasts I'm seeing from different Market Intelligence reporting.

VR is taking off and constantly sold out at the moment mostly because of half-life alyx. If they were to stop now and not allow the new vr users to experience Ed that would be stupid. I just got back into ED since I got a Reverb this last week. It's awesome to say the least. Without vr it would just sit in my library like it has the last year.
there is a reason why oculus has to sponsor games. If it was a great lucrative market they would not have to.

there is a reason why oculus has to sponsor games. If it was a great lucrative market they would not have to.
Ok that just makes no sense. When you buy your mobile phone on a contract, the handset is subsidised by the network against the manufacturer. By your rationale mobile phones contracts are not a lucrative market.

Although VR support has been less than stellar, it still occasionally gets updates sneaked into releases (a curved screen for one of the menus) and fixes (asteroid shadows only rendering in one eye during a Beta), so I expect fears about support being dropped will prove unfounded. I don’t expect VR in the new DLC will be on a par with dedicated VR games - I think it’ll more likely be akin to Subnautica VR or the Alien: Isolation mod - but I am willing to be surprised by full motion controls, FDev ;)
Frontier's macOS client received updates right up to the point it was dropped.

Top Bottom