fronteir develop of elite dangerous before odyssey launches u must address this issues for everyone first

I'd wait until they can design a UI that's flows logically - actually I'm not sure I can wait that long given their track record for UI design!

I wonder if anyone bothered logging the bug on the UI for the last CG - the hand in panel listed the same data item twice - probably wasn't worth logging - commanders probably completely the CG in less time then it would take someone at FDev to spot the error, then get the person that did it, to fix it.

EVA should not take 24 months. I'm really surprised it's not in Odyssey at launch.
It's not so much about taking that long, as much as it is about having a release schedule that is evenly distributed, instead of having 6 releases in as many months then nothing for 6 years.......

It's not so much about taking that long, as much as it is about having a release schedule that is evenly distributed, instead of having 6 releases in as many months then nothing for 6 years.......
I mean, you're asking for this, just so that the devs have something to realise even if they have to cut if from what they've made.

DV8Ud9LWsAAO1iK.jpg

I'm 100% ok with this, and more. I'd be fine if they delayed Odyssey for another 6 months if it meant EVA in space came too.
EVA just means activity outside of your vehicle. That's what Odyssey is all about. If you mean Zero-G gameplay, I don't know what they could make with that. I suppose at the minimum, they could create an advanced jetpack for a zero-G environment, but what would you do with that? It wouldn't help you take care of your ship without some added mechanics to the ships, and probably a restructure of ship exteriors. It wouldn't make you money. There'd be nothing to explore. It wouldn't help you fight other ships in open space. You wouldn't be able to board disabled ships like in Star Citizen unless they developed ship interiors, which comes with a huge amount of technical challenges, as SC has faced.

Any of those things would tack on another few years of development. Without them, you might get that new Zero-G jetpack in a couple months of development, just get to float in zero-G next to your ship for no added benefit in gameplay. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a feature like that just for the sake of immersion, but for how little it would bring to the table without extra development, it doesn't seem worth Frontier's time right now. They need to get their current work released before they hit the drawing board again for new features. I'd rather them do that, so if/when we do get zero-G EVAs, they're a meaningful addition to the game with a purpose

I mean, you're asking for this, just so that the devs have something to realise even if they have to cut if from what they've made.

View attachment 225087
Yeah, I don't really care. I'll give Frontier more money if they give me more content, so worries!
Your analogy doesn't really fit either (maybe it does for CoD or EA games, I wouldn't know), DLC gives you more content, not makes you pay more for things you've already got.... If it wasn't for DLC, Horizons and Fleet Carriers would have been seperate releases and you'd have paid for the base game each time + the extra content. Stop getting hung up because things you want aren't in game right now - look at what is in game and maybe the things you want will come in the future.

Oh, and EVA was never 'cut from the game', because it was never in the game to staret with!

EVA just means activity outside of your vehicle. That's what Odyssey is all about. If you mean Zero-G gameplay, I don't know what they could make with that. I suppose at the minimum, they could create an advanced jetpack for a zero-G environment, but what would you do with that? It wouldn't help you take care of your ship without some added mechanics to the ships, and probably a restructure of ship exteriors. It wouldn't make you money. There'd be nothing to explore. It wouldn't help you fight other ships in open space. You wouldn't be able to board disabled ships like in Star Citizen unless they developed ship interiors, which comes with a huge amount of technical challenges, as SC has faced.

Any of those things would tack on another few years of development. Without them, you might get that new Zero-G jetpack in a couple months of development, just get to float in zero-G next to your ship for no added benefit in gameplay. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a feature like that just for the sake of immersion, but for how little it would bring to the table without extra development, it doesn't seem worth Frontier's time right now. They need to get their current work released before they hit the drawing board again for new features. I'd rather them do that, so if/when we do get zero-G EVAs, they're a meaningful addition to the game with a purpose
You'll notice that I said space EVA, so if kind of inferred EVA in space, rather than on a planet. Sorry if you got confused by that.

Secondly, the flight model for space EVA already exists, take it from the SLF, and turn the acceleration curves down to 5%. Planet EVA is just 2 legged SRV play. Just make the space EVA 2 legged SLF. The only thing it needs is a slight posture changed from the "falling" pose to a "floating" pose.
So there, it's totally possible.

As for why have it? What's the point? What can you do? Loads of things, the same things you can do on a planet but in space. Rather than walk over to a wrecked SRV and cut 2 panels off the back, float over to a wrecked SLF and cut 2 panels off the back. You could also allow the cutter perhaps to heal the ship with that engineer healing effect, giving explorers a way to repair their canopies or anything while out in the black.

The game already tracks weapon effect (normally damage, but health repair in the case) on specific modules based on where the weapon hits.
The game already has a healing ray.
The game already has hand tools with Alternate fire modes with alternate effects.
The game already has a model for the space EVA to use.
The game already allows for the player to leave his ship (space legs).
The game already has Signal sources that spawn wreckages.

The only thing that needs adding is the "loot bay" on SLF that seem to be on SRV's. Everything else exists. If you think that would take several years to coble this together, you should go work for CIG. The whole game of Elite was made in that time frame.

Would this make space EVA amazing? No, it'd be the same level of "amazing" as the rest of Odyssey. But it's not jarring in it's omission.

Yeah, I don't really care. I'll give Frontier more money if they give me more content, so worries!
Your analogy doesn't really fit either (maybe it does for CoD or EA games, I wouldn't know), DLC gives you more content, not makes you pay more for things you've already got.... If it wasn't for DLC, Horizons and Fleet Carriers would have been seperate releases and you'd have paid for the base game each time + the extra content. Stop getting hung up because things you want aren't in game right now - look at what is in game and maybe the things you want will come in the future.

Oh, and EVA was never 'cut from the game', because it was never in the game to staret with!
Ok, I see you only joined in 2021, so I guess you're not familiar with the Kickstarter, the games ambition, and the DDF.

I guess my point is that I don't consider Odyssey to actually be all that impressive.
-The Planetary visual upgrade is nice, but should have be happening with Horizons. In fact, I remember asking about atmospheric worlds when that went on, and we got the "Not at launch" response.
-The walking on planets surfaces is, to me, nothing but 2 legged SRV play. It's a different vehicle to do the same thing.
  • The new settlements and space station are nice, but they're pretty much the only new assets in the game. 2 years to do a few buildings and a concourse? Really? How do other game devs make several multi-KM/2 maps a year and populate them with new assets? FD is not an indie company.
  • The FPS ... average. I get there was engine work to make it happen but the gunplay in it is underwhelming.
  • The Ship updated textures are nice, but 7 years later were highly needed.

SO when EVA play is allowed in stations and on planets, and it seems Space EVA is so simple to add, it seems cut.

Cut to sell a bare bones product later to us.

Ok, I see you only joined in 2021, so I guess you're not familiar with the Kickstarter, the games ambition, and the DDF.

I guess my point is that I don't consider Odyssey to actually be all that impressive.
-The Planetary visual upgrade is nice, but should have be happening with Horizons. In fact, I remember asking about atmospheric worlds when that went on, and we got the "Not at launch" response.
-The walking on planets surfaces is, to me, nothing but 2 legged SRV play. It's a different vehicle to do the same thing.
  • The new settlements and space station are nice, but they're pretty much the only new assets in the game. 2 years to do a few buildings and a concourse? Really? How do other game devs make several multi-KM/2 maps a year and populate them with new assets? FD is not an indie company.
  • The FPS ... average. I get there was engine work to make it happen but the gunplay in it is underwhelming.
  • The Ship updated textures are nice, but 7 years later were highly needed.

SO when EVA play is allowed in stations and on planets, and it seems Space EVA is so simple to add, it seems cut.

Cut to sell a bare bones product later to us.
I'm sure they could add space EVA pretty easily. But its also all the 3D assets and gameplay that goes with it that would need adding which will take a while. I wouldn't be surprised of that is maybe the next update we will see.

I'm sure they could add space EVA pretty easily. But its also all the 3D assets and gameplay that goes with it that would need adding which will take a while. I wouldn't be surprised of that is maybe the next update we will see.
To be honest, I'm very hopeful its one of the things in at launch that we've just not been shown yet.

Hopeful, but not expectant.

To be honest, I'm very hopeful its one of the things in at launch that we've just not been shown yet.

Hopeful, but not expectant.
I very much doubt it. What I would love to see is the space installations being updated and used like settlements are used on planets. At the moment, they are just nice eye candy. Would be great if we could dock at them, get missions, or even have on foot combat zones in them.

Top Bottom