Focused Feedback - PlayStation 4 Participants

Ok, I'm off to get a ship full of wine then :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 173611

Edit:
  • Ships in this game can be flows in superscruise - carriers cannot
  • Ships can be engineered - carriers cannot
  • Ships scoop their own fuel - carriers do not
  • Ships have cockpits where you fly them - carriers do not
The main complaints people have about carriers are when they think of them as ships. They are different.
I mean, its a megaship which is by definition a ship. It is a ship, you just dont operate it directly. You have 'executive control'. But its still a ship.

Last edited:
I dont know if this has been mentioned yet. Ive noticed a problem while flying my ships in the beta...

If you i initiate an fsd jump and then cancel it, you cant use your panels until you either drop out of supercruise or enter supercruise, depending on if you were in sc already or not.

Sorry if this has been mentioned already. If i read through everything first i would miss the beta entirely

I mean, its a megaship which is by definition a ship. It is a ship, you just dont operate it directly. You have 'executive control'. But its still a ship.
A word can describe multiple things, so the fact that two things can be described by the same word does not mean they are the same thing. A Spanish Galleon and an Aircraft Carrier are both ships, but I wouldn't expect them to have the same uses.

People arguing that carriers should be flyable / scoop fuel /etc are using similar fallacies and confusing the disparate meaning of a word. IMHO :)

A word can describe multiple things, so the fact that two things can be described by the same word does not mean they are the same thing. A Spanish Galleon and an Aircraft Carrier are both ships, but I wouldn't expect them to have the same uses.

People arguing that carriers should be flyable / scoop fuel /etc are using similar fallacies and confusing the disparate meaning of a word. IMHO :)
A megaship. A mega ship. Maybe its just a ship for those with eyes that are open, not open to interpretation 😉

People argue a lot of things. Most of them are foolish. You are not usually one of them but this argument seems like you intend to be

Congratulations on a very impressive addition to the game. The concept, visuals, interface, sound effects are all amazing.
I have just a few comments and suggestion, mostly on Fleet Carrier (FC) pricing and economics based on the playing styles of my friends and I.

The first thing I did when I purchased an FC was to fit my ship with all the services except for the Fence (Secure Warehouse.) The reported upkeep cost was about 22.7 million. I calculated that playing about 5 hours a week, of which I would probably have to spend 1.5 hours on setting up and tweaking commodities & researching trade routes etc. with the Galaxy Map and external websites, another 2 hours flying around and continuing with other quests, and half an hour for mining tritium, that would leave me an hour per week to earn the 22 million per hour for FC upkeep.

I purchased ships and modules to sell and then jumped to a system in my bookmarks that was in a 'boom' state. Now I was a bit disappointed to learn that the NPC's do not participate in the ship facilities even though they were landing and taking off from the FC. I hope the intent is to have that in the release, because the bubble (and galaxy) is so large that it is typical to play the game and not see another live player for days. Unless only squads of dedicated players are the only target group, FC's won't be an option for the casual player crowd like myself, who play occasionally (~5hrs/wk) with one or maybe two friends online because we have other things going on like jobs and families. I think overall the game would be even more attractive if the grinding aspect could be tuned down to about 25% or less of its current level, and if the different playing styles could be balanced so that you can earn roughly the same amount per hour on average with each style having equally, highly profitable 'special' methods (of say $100 million per hour i.e. void opal mining a while ago.)

If the intent is to have FC's function like player-owned stations that do have NPC participation, then it'd be like buying and setting up a business in a town.
You deal with things like permits to do business, customer loyalty, competition, economic health, changing markets, supply chains, etc. The advantage I see for a fleet carrier is it can be function like a vending machine business earning credits on it's own and that can be moved to a different location and fully reconfigured.

How about adding a queued trading permit requirement in systems and NPC loyalty to prevent the game economy from collapsing or becoming too unbalanced due to the addition of FC's? Perhaps introduce trading permits to up to 3 FC's in a system, but allow plenty of parking spots for non-permit holders and who can't trade there? My thinking is you could fly to a system in your favorite Sidewinder and apply for a permit, knowing how many are already in the queue. You'd then receive an inbox once the permit becomes available with a limited time, say a week, to move your FC from its present location and park it in that system. This means a permit has a fixed period of validity with an expiration. It also means that parking will be available, because who's going to keep their FC parked there if it's not earning anything? It would also prevent one or two FC's from dominating a system forever. By NPC loyalty I mean the following: NPC players would not only consider bid/ask prices, but also loyalty on a distribution curve before switching to trading with a new FC. for example, even even if a new carrier drops their prices below an existing FC market, the NPC's would prefer the existing market by loyalty, and the new carrier would incur losses to overcome loyalty if they wanted to hijack a competitor's market by adjusting bid/ask pricing.

I'm not a fan of losing a fleet carrier through decommissioning. Players like me are often unable to play for several weeks at a time. Friends who are at about the same stage of life, have been turned off Elite Dangerous by the combo of two downsides: the steep learning curve together with too much grinding. They bought the game and played for about a week, loved it at first but never picked it up again only because they weren't willing to invest time into learning the game after getting turned off by the grind. I myself got sick of the grinding too and put the game down for 5 months with the intent of returning once fleet carriers are released. Out of the 3.5 million ED copies sold, it would be interesting to know how many such casual players there are. instead of losing a carrier, how about rather discarding its profit for players who haven't played for a while? The FC could then remain operational and trading in the system as long as its permit allows, but the player will only receive profit if he's been active in the previous cycle, much like salaries from Galactic Powers. Eliminating decommissioning would also be beneficial to those who like exploration and who might then only have to mine for fuel when far away from the bubble.

I calculated the price is a bit too steep for players like myself. Playing on average 5 hours per week, of which about 1/5th can be counted towards earning credits at 20 million credits/hr, it would take just under 5 years to earn enough credits to pay for a fleet carrier.

So, the first thing I would suggest is figuring out, using developer game analytics and market research, who out of the user population (and 3.5 million copies sold) to target for fleet carrier operations. I gather the marketing experts chose to target players who are more active than people like me and my friends, in which case that question has already been answered.

If the fleet carrier is supposed to be a full time business to keep going by gamers only and without any NPC economics to augment earned profit, then that's fine too and FC's will probably only make sense for very active players, especially those with active squadrons, but I won't expect services to be used much then.

Regardless of how it will be done in the final game, and speaking as a game developer myself, I think ED is a fantastic simulation and that Fleet Carriers are super exciting. The way they've been incorporated into the game so far is superb, with minor tweaking and improvements to be expected. Galaxy Map can always be improved, of course, but the FC management interface is great.

WELL DONE!!!

Last edited:
I feel like buy and sell price caps need to based on the highest price a server controlled station is selling them for, not 10x of the average. Most obvious case in point: Low Temperature Diamonds, have an average galactic value of 56k, so a max buy value of 560k, which is half of what the max value some stations offer. Most players wont sell LTDs for such a loss of profit.
Buying and selling commodities at the same time would be nice, and a faster way to adjust the buy/sell price other than hold the X button for 5 minutes while the price gradually scales up.

Oh yeah, remote control of the carrier would be nice, having to physically dock to move it around is tedious.

First off I want to say thanks to Frontier for doing such a thorough job with the beta, I really appreciate the thought you're putting into this.

I have thoughts on a few topics so I will make a few posts to keep things somewhat focused.

FSD Spool-up time
Overall I think the 20 minutes per jump is "fine" for a max rate of travel.

However, my experience of the spool-up time is that I typically tell the carrier to jump, then either put down the controller or turn off the game entirely and go find something else to do. There isn't much I can do in the game while waiting for it to jump, because I don't want to be left behind by accident when it jumps.

My understanding is that the goal of the spool-up time is to give players an opportunity to either finish their business and get off the carrier if they don't want to be taken along, or to land if they do want to. However, I don't think the current time helps with this.

I believe you can divide players roughly into two groups, "actively playing" and "offline". If offline, the spool-up time doesn't matter because 5 minutes, 15 minutes, an hour, from now, they will likely still be offline and miss the jump no matter what. If actively playing, 15 minutes is excessive; 5 minutes warning is plenty of time to get off the carrier if they want to do so.

What about if the goal is to allow other players to come along? I think this is better served by adding the ability to schedule a jump than by a fixed 15 minute spool-up. That would allow the owner to advertise the jump much farther in advance and make it dramatically more likely other players could take advantage of it. Sitting around for 15 minutes hoping someone will 1. be nearby enough to see the carrier is going to jump, 2. want to go to the same destination as the carrier, and 3. not have already communicated about this with the carrier owner, seems a bit of a stretch to me.

So, my conclusion is that reducing the spool-up time would improve the experience of the carrier owner without costing other players anything. If you want to keep the overall rate of travel at 500 ly / 20 minutes (which seems fine to me), then I would increase the cool down time instead, since it is way easier to go find something in-game to do while the ship is cooling down rather than while it is spooling up.

Commodity Market

The commodity market in its current form doesn't seem particularly useful. Being unable to set simultaneous buy and sell prices makes the process of actually using it for trade very cumbersome, and since players can't see the prices or what you're buying and selling before docking, which there's no real incentive to do, it doesn't seem like a real "market".

The only real use of it seems to be as a way to let friends transfer cargo to or from (but not both at once) your carrier, which is potentially useful for a few very specific things like repairing a extremely remote station, but probably not many others.

So, I would prefer if the commodity market were optional rather than a core service. I would be happy to do without it (it is completely unnecessary for exploration for example).

Bulk Trading

I tried this out. It seems potentially slightly worthwhile, but pretty borderline (it didn't actually work out for me).

Loading the carrier with cargo involves twice as many dockings (1. buy at station A, 2. store on carrier, repeat, then 3. retrieve from carrier, 4. sell at station B) with the tradeoff of potentially fewer jumps.

However, for this to actually be an advantage, the buy and sell stations have to be far enough apart that the time spent jumping between them in your regular cargo ship is greater than the time spent doing the extra supercruising to/from and docking with your carrier. Since a single jump is only ~1 minute, and supercruising to the carrier and docking is typically several minutes, this means the stations have to be pretty far apart.

Polymers are one of the most lucrative trade items, but the difference between the max profit (buy at cheapest station in the galaxy, sell at most expensive) and a nearby profit (buy at any cheap station, sell at most expensive station within a jump or two) is actually not very large. So you're doing a fair amount of extra work for not a whole lot of additional profit.

One technical obstacle that should be easy to fix: When transferring to the carrier, you can easily use the "transfer all to carrier" button. However, when transferring back to your ship, the "transfer all to ship" button doesn't seem to work (or even make sense, if the carrier has multiple types of cargo in larger quantities than your ship can carry), and instead you have to hold down the button to transfer 1 ton at a time for quite a while. Please either make that button accelerate faster or add a second "<<" kind of button that transfers as much as possible in a single click.

Tritium

Buying tritium is expensive, but maybe not crazy expensive. It's certainly the best option at the moment. However if I'm going on a long adventure, I'm spending an additional billion credits at the beginning to fill the hold with fuel which seems like a lot.

Mining it on the other hand... I gave this a shot and here's what I found:

It is not worth mining in a non-hotspot unless you are truly out of fuel and stuck; I tried two different icy rings and found only ~20% of asteroids have any tritium and typically the amount was 2-6%.

In the tritium hotspot that I found, there was enough to be worth mining, but I'll compare with the current LTD3 hotspot in Borann, where I have been mining (with the same ship) in order to get the money for my potential carrier purchase.

LTD3 return on limpets: 1.3:1 (average about 1.3 tons of diamonds for each 1 limpet).
Tritium return on limpets: 1:1

So tritium gets you less cargo (almost 25% less) for the time and limpets than we are used to getting LTDs in Borann.

In order to get my current 8b or so credits, I've spent around 45 or 50 hours mining around 6000 tons of diamonds.

In order to get my carrier to Colonia I need about (~20000 ly / (~2 ly / ton) = 10000 tons) of tritium. Given the reduced return on effort, that means in excess of 100 hours mining, vs 13 hours of travel. That is a pretty skewed way to spend my time. Or instead I could buy it for 400-500m credits which, in the current game, is around 3 hours of LTD mining. 3 hours mining for credits or 100 hours of mining for tritium. Suddenly buying it (even at half a billion credits) seems like a no-brainer.

The problem is when you're out in the black and need more fuel, now your only option is to mine for days or weeks in order to make a handful more jumps.

I think the most reasonable fix here is to increase the tritium return from mining dramatically, like by 10x, such that the time spent mining it is at least comparable to, or preferably less than, the time spent using it.

The fuel usage of carriers seems fine now.

There should be a way to transfer tritium between the fuel tank and the cargo hold from the carrier management screen. It kind of makes sense that they're different (so if I'm trading I don't accidentally sell my fuel or leave no room for it), but having my far away carrier stuck because its fuel tank is empty even though it has 10000 tons of tritium in cargo seems silly and unrealistic (the carrier has crew, and even has my other ships stored on it, can't one of the crew transfer it?).

If someone else donates tritium to your carrier, you should get notified of this in case you want to thank them somehow.

Misc other thoughts

The new carrier menus are great, go ahead and change the station menus too!

The carrier's "station voice" is awful, I have trouble understanding half of what it says.

"Welcome to this carrier commander" seems pretty impersonal given that I own the thing.

Several things are worded as though the carrier is a station, such as in the shipyard "Transfer this ship to the current station" or when docking being told to "observe starport protocol".

The module packs for outfitting are awful, I looked into them but there's no way to stock the combo of modules I'm interested in selling, plus with no discount there's no reason for anyone to buy them from my carrier anyway.

Not being able to watch the carrier jump when onboard is a bummer, why not allow me to still look at the carrier management screen at least?

Allowing carriers to orbit near a station would be really helpful for buying fuel or other cargo, right now the best you can do is orbit the same body as the station and sometimes your carrier is on the opposite side so navigating back and forth is slow and manual.

Thanks for the opportunity to participate in the beta and provide feedback. While I agree with much of what's been said, I did have a few items to add to the discussion that are hopefully productive as this release is finalized and additional functionality is added in the future.

Context:
My comments are based on the fact that I have a few hours a week to play and while I don't mind some grind, I want to have a good balance of working toward goals (grinding), fun, and having a sense of accomplishment when I complete challenging goals. While ED has always been at the upper end of the amount of grind for games I play, the immersion, the variety, fun, and sense of accomplishment tend to balance things out and keep me engaged. I also tend to play as a lone wolf as coordinating with wings and community groups can be a challenge with my schedule. I therefore have limitations with tasks that require multiple CMDRs, which in general are tougher for me such as having others mine/donate tritium.

Comments:
  • I appreciate the improvement from Beta 1 to Beta 2 that were based on feedback from the community
  • I similar to many, want to use the FC as a mobile base to support mining and exploration.
  • I would like to find some effective ways to make a little money with the economics of the FC without losing the balance and equity of the game. I well managed FC should be able to cover it's weekly/annual maintenance costs by positioning itself properly in the right systems, having needed services, and having well thought out commodity pricing.
  • As someone who can't commit long ours to grinding out credits, I appreciate a more affordable FC pricing solution. It took me an extremely long time to get to 2 Billion credits. Getting to 5 Billion is literally years unless I grind for months at a time and do nothing else in the game. I would therefore either like (a) a lower price for a 'standard' build FC, or (b) options at different price points. I do believe if someone grinds and can make 7 Billion credits to buy and maintain a FC they should get more for their money than I, but to only have them accessible to someone who lives in the game runs the risk of losing casual players that enjoy the experience. There is always a challenge to balance attainable goals and grinding, especially when players have differing levels of time and energy to commit to a game. For example (since you all like snakes and now dragons/drakes) a possible solution could be:
- Drake Class: Carries 3-5 landing pads, storage for 10 ships, 2-3 upgrade modules 1 billion credits
- Hydra Class: Carries 5-10 landing pads, storage for 15 ships,3-5 upgrade modules: 2.5 billion credits
- Wyvern Class: Carries 10-15 landing pads, storage for 20 ships, 5-8 upgrade modules: 5 billion credits
- Amphitere Class: Carries 15-20 landing pads, storage for up to 30 ships, max upgrade modules, 7 billion credits
- The tritium situation as many have mentioned is/was a challenge. I would like to be able to either:
a. buy and take enough with me for extended missions
b. be able to reasonably find (through ED or supporting tools), mine, and use it in a way that doesn't take too long (it was too hard from me to find it under current circumstances and when I did find it it too a long time to mine small amounts even though I'm a reasonable, not great, LTD miner)
c. Be able to refine it from more common minerals or commodities (hydrogen, lithium, etc)
d. Some ideas to address this include:
- Fuel scooping from specific types of stars (this could require an additional fuel scoop type, ie a type Type-T Fuel Scoop that is needed to scoop tritium and a FC module to refine, and store it
- Being able to surface mine it (HORIZONS should become standard at some point with future releases). This could be done with a specialized SCV that is on FC's that can surface mine Tritium directly or refine it from lithium and or hydrogen, etc
- Having it for sale at deep space ports
- Having more Tritium hotspots especially near/around specific star types and near deep space ports/bases
- Allowing personalized FC storage (ie I would prefer to pass on buying all of the FC functionality en lieu of having additional storage space for fuel and ship modules). In general I am happy to grind in/around the bubble and save up enough fuel to go to SAG A, but running out of fuel in the black and having to spend hours finding and mining only to get 1 or 2 jumps worth of fuel is not fun and turns the game into a job.
- Add two new modules per the above:
- Personal storage module: can hold FC owner's additional ship modules, commodities, and minerals, and basically anything that fits in a cargo hold (ie make it an extra large cargo hold that stays resident on the FC that can be used to transfer goods, tritium, supplies, parts, etc back and forth between the active ship and the carrier
- FC Refinery: Used to refine Hydrogen and Lithium (or other minerals/compounds) into Tritium. Similar to ship modules this can have different levels and costs that impact the amount and efficiency of the refining process
  • As others have mentioned the FC begs the question on 'legs' and the ability to get out of the FC hangar during jumps and other activities. I'm assuming this is already under consideration
  • Other considerations:
- FC Message Board or Ability to post an itinerary or general message so other CMDRs know the plan/purpose of the Fleet Carrier
- Extending overall 500 LY jump is OK, but having the ability to get further on a tank of gas would be great (or have a larger fuel tank... which messes with mass)
- Ability to plot navigational waypoints similar to ships
- More fuel capacity
- Easier to use and understand commodities services
- Have the fleet carrier recognize its owner when the owner is approaching or leaving the carrer

Thanks again for the work on this and for considering my ideas. Best of luck finalizing the release. I know you have a lot of great ideas to consider.

Cmdr Blue_Onyxx

Bought a fleet carrier, when they went to blow out status.
Pretty cool, I feel like there should be way more fanfare after spending 5 Billion cr, but ok.
I bought in Agartha.
Located my Fleet Carrier, one system over and landed on it, all good, no issues.
Then I wanted to buy all the services....
But I can't, because Agartha is full of Fleet Carriers, and the only place you can buy upgrades is the same place you bought the Fleet Carrier.
Now I know I could have gone to any other place that also sells the FC's, but were talking what 12 systems tops?
And I am using my own fuel at exorbitant cost (in my opinion) to fly around to attempt to locate one place to upgrade my fleet carrier.

This is going to be an issue at release, so you might want to fix it before then.
Allow purchase of the modifications (for the fleet carrier) at any station with a large space station would be my suggestion.

Then I wanted to try flying the fleet carrier around.
So I have a 100 cr fine on my imperial cutter in LHS 6031 station is around 118,000LS from the Sun, but alas I can't fly there since its also full, the third destination I picked that was already full.
So I picked the next closest system and jumped.
Still like the sound effects, I don't have trouble understanding MR. Roboto (TM) voice, and then I sat there for 15 minutes waiting the jump. I think that's manageable.
Didn't take too much fuel, I mined about 80 tons that I kept and loaded onto the ship, so that was OK I think that jump cost like 35 tons of fuel, to pay off my 100cr fine on my Cutter.
so 1.5 million in Tritium (44000cr/T) to pay off a 100 cr fine.

Ships name should be visible inside the hanger.
Flare should also be available to decorate the hanger, style or something.
I would prefer my hangers look like the inside of my Imperial Cutter, from a style perspective, maybe make a few styles for ARX?
Its a brand New Fleet Carrier and It felt a little industrial/dirty inside.
After all since I am staring at hanger bulkhead for 5-10 minutes I want it to at least be pretty.
And while I appreciate the line that shows my jump progress, all I can think when I see the line and bubbles is..."They took over a year for this interface?"
Can you at least rename the 7 stages to something that sound vaguely sciency??? Instead of 1-7?

Stage 1: Initiating fissioning process
Stage 2: Maximum electrical production initiated
Stage 3: Charging Jump Capacitors, etc...
Stage 4: Initiating destruction of local space time
Stage 5: tunneling through time/space vortex\
Stage 6: Passing everyone NOT using a Fleet Carrier
Stage 7: Venting all waste products into local Star, Welcome to fill in system name.
I hereby give Frontier et al permission to use my seven stages if they wish in Elite Dangerous.

Alternatively you could use the below, which might also show up under a google search for the 7 stages of grief....
  • Shock and denial. This is a state of disbelief and numbed feelings.
  • Pain and guilt. You may feel that the loss is unbearable and that you’re making other people’s lives harder because of your feelings and needs.
  • Anger and bargaining. You may lash out, telling God or a higher power that you’ll do anything they ask if they’ll only grant you relief from these feelings.
  • Depression. This may be a period of isolation and loneliness during which you process and reflect on the loss.
  • The upward turn. At this point, the stages of grief like anger and pain have died down, and you’re left in a more calm and relaxed state.
  • Reconstruction and working through. You can begin to put pieces of your life back together and carry forward.
  • Acceptance and hope. This is a very gradual acceptance of the new way of life and a feeling of possibility in the future.
I especially like Stage 7, until you realize that you spent 1 hour mining for about 1.5 million in Tritium to pay off a 100cr fine, then you go back to stage 1 and start over.

All in all I think the FC would be an amazing addition for someone like my brother who is a casual player, adult, kids, and job.
It would allow him to easily transport all his ships to a particular place in 15 minutes and allow him to switch his playing up at a moments notice.
But here is the rub, he a casual player and will NEVER be able to afford the FC at 5 Billion, plus the upkeep.
So the players that (I think) would get the most benefit out of a fleet carrier, will never be able to afford one.
Hows that for Irony?
Now myself on the other hand am a geographic bachelor so I could literally play for 4-5 hours/day throughout the week, could grind through the 5 Billion to get the fleet carrier, and the RENT doesn't strike me as too unmanageable, but after playing with the FC, I think I am going to say no thanks.
I would rather get a second third and fourth version of every ship in the game rather than buying a ship that can't be flown by the commander.

My requirements then for the 5 BILLION cr pricetag would include:
1. no RENT!
2. The ability to maneuver in system and local space; even if really slowly.
3. The ability to change external and internal FC look/feel; even you charge me ARX.
4. normalize the services your paying the crew to 1-5% of what the FC makes in profit.
5. A bridge/cockpit that shows me in a seat and shows a jump graphic. Optionally you could supplement my 7 stages above, or the stages of grief to go along with the line bubble method in the cockpit/bridge that is also showing a jump graphic.

Thanks for letting me test drive your newly developed Fleet Carrier.

It sounds like all these carriers choking up systems might be a good reason why they would want to decommission carriers that aren't being used. Just imagine if they never decommissioned any fleet carriers and no matter what because there was no upkeep....

• As others have mentioned the FC begs the question on 'legs' and the ability to get out of the FC hangar during jumps and other activities. I'm assuming this is already under consideration
Cmdr Blue_Onyxx
SPACE LEGS
It's easy to demand space legs for anyone who has no clue about what game development involves. You're asking for another game within a game. And Space legs in ED would ruin the game, plain and simple.

From the player perspective, ED is already a beast to grind. Adding legs produces more grind, as well as glitches, and it would take longer to get back to flying. Running around in corridors opening doors and looking for my ship - not appealing at all. No thanks.
The closer a game gets to real life, the more boring and tedious it becomes. Why? Because games offer the opportunity to have experiences without all the monotony of life. If you get space legs, then let's add getting up in the morning and getting dressed, brushing your teeth, taking a shower, putting on your uniform, picking up your stuff, calling a cab, waiting for the cab, reading the newspaper, answering the phone,... and 2 hours later you are about to get into your ship. You get my drift. Space legs in ED is a stupid idea.

I'm very happy with ED as a simulator to fly spaceships. I would rather have the developer focus on improving and fine tuning the core game than adding content for players who have no idea what they're talking about.

It sounds like all these carriers choking up systems might be a good reason why they would want to decommission carriers that aren't being used. Just imagine if they never decommissioned any fleet carriers and no matter what because there was no upkeep....
My hope is that once they go live, people will be a tad hesitant to spend 5 out of their 5.1 billion to get one.

Fleet Carriers are really boring.

Space legs would be great here, walk around the carrier and interact with your crew. If nothing else, one should have an “Owners” Chair on the bridge to watch to the launch into hyperspace. The Bridge should be the place to “manage” your carrier, not on some button on a display you already have on your little spaceship.

Besides, why would this massive carrier allow itself to be controlled by another ship? Of course, this could be a new feature, hack your way in and steal one!

Speaking of interacting with the crew: Why do I need a crew??? It’s 3306! A complete AI NPC crew equipped with robots to maintain the ship. With AI my operating costs would drop significantly since I don’t need to house, feed, and entertain a crew. Especially a crew I can’t interact with!

As an Explorer, I’d love one of these to explore those really far off star systems. A Fleet Carrier, with all my different ships stored to explore and play. But deep space is boring and the crew always ignores me, in this context I also don’t need all of the capabilities of a complete shipyard or other facilities (storage for all that ship equipment I’ve purchased). I need just enough to maintain my fleet, not buy and outfit a fleet of ships.

Carrier Maintenance is, of course, another problem. Reduce maintenance costs with AI. To be able to jump why doesn’t my Tritium Depot come with the ability to have multiple small miners (or at least let them use small landing pads). Perhaps a carrier could be equipped with up to 6 of these small miners, sent out upon arrival to a new system to mine for the next jump. These miners are small, perhaps only store 4T - 8T, but mine under the guidance of the Tritium Depot AI (Again, why do I need a crew in 3306?). It may take days at this trickle rate to have enough for a jump, but the player can always join the mining and speed up the process.

Summary:
Scaled back version of facilities to support a single player and their ships.
Eliminate the Crew. Use AI and Robots. It is 3306 after all.
Space Legs, or at a minimum allow interaction with crew/AI. Otherwise why have them?
Reduce acquisition and operating costs. Scaled back facilities for ‘small carriers’ and AI Crew will significantly reduce this. This would also allow players who want to be involved in wing activities or with the BGS to purchase larger/better equipped (and more expensive) carriers.

SPACE LEGS
It's easy to demand space legs for anyone who has no clue about what game development involves. You're asking for another game within a game. And Space legs in ED would ruin the game, plain and simple.

From the player perspective, ED is already a beast to grind. Adding legs produces more grind, as well as glitches, and it would take longer to get back to flying. Running around in corridors opening doors and looking for my ship - not appealing at all. No thanks.
The closer a game gets to real life, the more boring and tedious it becomes. Why? Because games offer the opportunity to have experiences without all the monotony of life. If you get space legs, then let's add getting up in the morning and getting dressed, brushing your teeth, taking a shower, putting on your uniform, picking up your stuff, calling a cab, waiting for the cab, reading the newspaper, answering the phone,... and 2 hours later you are about to get into your ship. You get my drift. Space legs in ED is a stupid idea.

I'm very happy with ED as a simulator to fly spaceships. I would rather have the developer focus on improving and fine tuning the core game than adding content for players who have no idea what they're talking about.
I understand where you are coming from - if you watch a SC video, half the time you seem to be running from A to B so for a gamer only interested in flying ships that would be a turn off. That said some people love the immersive feel and are not concerned at the rate at which they earn credits.
For me its about choice, if I'm forced to get out of the ship each time I need to do something I would not be too happy.
However if EVA is optional then I'm totally up for it, I play a lot of FP & TP games anyway, I'd love if I could do that in Elite as well (so long as the game play is there of course).

e.g. you dock at a station and you can do all the stuff you do now through the station services.
OPTIONALLY you could take an EVA mission on the station or boarding a ship or on a planet surface, that would make a great change of pace for me.
Also I'd like to see what ship and star-port interiors are like and see people (NPC's and players) walking around interiors.
So long as its optional, I'm fine with it.

Sorry - getting a bit off topic here , as related to fleet carriers I would like to have a bridge/common area you can meet up with other commanders and watch the jump from (with or without space legs). Any one who has participated in a mass jump knows how great it is to share experiences with other players.

Last edited:
Put more carrier administration systems. I was unable to do anything with my carrier outside the base options because all systems where I could buy modules were full. Because of this I do not plan to get carriers due to not really being able to do more then jump it and look at it in beta as a result of do many doing it. Very likely this will be an issue on launch unless you add more. Waste of time to do the beta when I could have been grinding, but at least I know people will go crazy buying them lol.

Top Bottom