Focused Feedback - PlayStation 4 Participants

1) that staus of "no slots available" when attempting to go to an Admin system to add services is annoying

2) I actually found more Low Temp Diamonds (5) then tons of tritum after 45 ,minutes of mining. Either expand resource or lower price.

3) Add Profits gained to budget screen

4) NPCs need to at least buy gas and repairs.

Just confirming something I wasn't expecting to work - I can use my alternate PS4 commander in the Beta as well.
I had to restart my PS4 then went into my other PSN enabled account and viola!
Happy Face

1: No more than 50 Fleet Carriers in one system. Can not over population a system. It's just too overbearing.

2: No more than 10 Fleet Carriers orbiting a single body.

3: A way to toggle on/off Fleet Carriers from system map and "especially remove" the Fleet Carriers from the Full Spectrum System Scanner.

4: In the system map need to change the colour of the Fleet Carrier symbol so it will be easier to distinguish starport stations from Fleet Carriers.

5: A way for the owner to advertise what commodities a Fleet Carrier has before landing on that Fleet Carrier.

6: Go back to the old colours of the bookmarks and other tags in the galaxy map. Like keep the bookmarks Blue and stored ships Red and so on.

7: The audio of the voice when landing and taking off from a Fleet Carrier needs to be changed to be able to understand.

8: Avoid having a Fleet Carrier getting stuck in the cone of a neutron star when entering a system with a neutron star.

Extra not part of the Fleet Carrier Beta but like to see implemented in the game as quality of life.

1: Need a better way to organize bookmarks under the bookmark tab in the galaxy map.

2: A way to target the latitude and longitude on the planet surface map to make it easier to get to a point on the planet that you may want to get to.

Thank you for the new upkeep prices. Upkeep is now reasonable. And a another thank you for making Elite Dangerous for what it is. This is a great game. I love astronomy and this game brings my dreams of traveling through space down to earth.

Last edited:
Guys, I'm trying to report an issue on the issues track via my phone and I cannot type in the "steps to reproduce field". The box brings up the keyboard but will not accept text.

Help!

Discovery scanner in beta is showing N bodies discovered but not populating NAV panel or system map.

PS4 Pro

Canada

Did some mining out in the black - I'm maybe 1,700 ly out, maybe 2,000. Finding a tritium hotspot proved more difficult than anticipated. I would explore around the system the carrier had jumped to. Finally found an icy ring with a tritium hotspot. Mined for maybe an hour or so and brought back 70 tritium. From an exploration point of view, I'd rather be jumping system to system than dedicating time to find fuel for the carrier. My recommendation is to bump up the discovery of tritium and the fragments to refinement ratio. The mining to fuel experience was not enjoyable for me.

I'm an explorer and I have taken my FC just outside the Bubble nebula about 8000ly from Sol. It hasn't been an enjoyable experience so far. When I first got the carrier I bought an extra 3000t of Tritium because I feared that mining for it would be very frustrating. And it was. It takes anywhere between 10 minutes (if you're extremely lucky) to an hour to find a system which has a Tritium hotspot. Mining Tritium is incredibly time consuming. My best results so far has been 155t in a little more than two hours but most of the time it's maybe 30t/hour which is unacceptable when you consider that the average jump uses around 215t. That means at some point I'm going to have spend SEVERAL gaming sessions just mining. The constant hunt for Tritium hotspots really take away the exploring aspect of it too because of the pressure to find said rings.

The other part that irks me is the upkeep which sits around 14m/week for me right now. How am I supposed to break even on that as an explorer who has a real life job with real life commitments? Or what if I burn myself out and want to take a break for a month or two (which is extremely likely due to all the time I have to put into mining)? I don't care about making money but I care about LOSING it.

I love the concept of having a FC as an explorer companion since it allows for me to stay out in the black indefinitely but as it is right now I will never buy one in the live game. In fact, I don't think I will continue with the beta because I already feel burned out on the constant grinding and the pressure of turning in cartographic data in order for my FC to not just be a credit sinkhole.

Last edited:
I'm an explorer and I have taken my FC just outside the Bubble nebula about 8000ly from Sol. It hasn't been an enjoyable experience so far. When I first got the carrier I bought an extra 3000t of Tritium because I feared that mining for it would be very frustrating. And it was. It takes anywhere between 10 minutes (if you're extremely lucky) to an hour to find a system which has a Tritium hotspot. Mining Tritium is incredibly time consuming. My best results so far has been 155t in a little more than two hours but most of the time it's maybe 30t/hour which is unacceptable when you consider that the average jump uses around 215t. That means at some point I'm going to have spend SEVERAL gaming sessions just mining. The constant hunt for Tritium hotspots really take away the exploring aspect of it too because of the pressure to find said rings.

The other part that irks me is the upkeep which sits around 14m/week for me right now. How am I supposed to break even on that as an explorer who has a real life job with real life commitments? Or what if I burn myself out and want to take a break for a month or two (which is extremely likely due to all the time I have to put into mining)? I don't care about making money but I care about LOSING it.

I love the concept of having a FC as an explorer companion since it allows for me to stay out in the black indefinitely but as it is right now I will never buy one in the live game. In fact, I don't think I will continue with the beta because I already feel burned out on the constant grinding and the pressure of turning in cartographic data in order for my FC to not just be a credit sinkhole.
THIS. All of this ^^
Just because everyone can get Elite because of Mining doesn't mean everyone, especially explorers, want to be miners. Sure - I get it, Carriers need fuel that's magically not scoopable 👀. Okay, fine - but make it doable without forcing an Explorer to put in the same effort as an LTD miner.
💯

My feedback is:
1. I still think purchase price should be halved which would still be 10x most expensive ship.
2. Running costs still too high, 5M per week for base, I mean, how much are these NPCs paid?
3. The 15 minute wait for a jump is far too long, should be 5 minutes max.
4. Is there nowhere in the interface where you can see who is docked on your FC?
5. Jumping whilst docked could have been so much better, staring at a wall, really?
6. Should be able to add services during initial purchase.
7. Definitely need a new FC filter on the navigation panel.
Despite above, I think FCs are a great addition to the game. Whilst there really isn't any gameplay around interacting with the FCs themselves (they are just like small stations really), their potential to affect how cmdrs play the game is massive, I just wish that was open to more cmdrs with a lower credit wall, but I am looking forward to them being added to the live game.
o7

Last edited:
CMDR RockinVs here. Playing on my PS4 Pro. Have around 1000 hours in game. Had about 3 billion credits before the announcement for fleet carriers. Mined my way to around 7.8 billion credits when the snapshot was taken.

Been playing the beta off and on since it launched here on PS4. Was taking notes and decided to create an account here to hopefully help with the polishing of this new update.

The good / what I like:

1) New interface at stations and on the carriers allowing quick refuel and repair is nice.

2) Bookmarks in system have a separate icon from the system bookmarks. Makes it easier to know when it is a specific body or just the system is bookmarked.

3) The look and sound of the carriers are very good. (do wish we had a bridge to watch jumps)

4) The ability to store cargo! Finally!

5) Hull maintenance fixed to be down to 100,000 credits per jump. I can manage that. 750k was a bit much.

6) Missions to get tritium are pretty good!

7) We can store rare goods. (just wish we could sell them too)

8) Didn't like the new chat system at first. Then I found you can switch it back in the settings tab of the coms. Nice. I think it is faster having local and system in the main chat able to be switched with L2 than it is being in separate tabs. I appreciate the ability to customize it to my liking.

9) The carriers are cross console! I like being able to land and help refuel content creators carriers that I watch on youtube even though I play on the PS4 and they play on a PC. Would be nice if we could have crossplay as well... but that is more of a playstation gripe.

10) Fleet carriers now can store your fleet as a core service. Much appreciated.

11) Universal cartographics can be added as a service. Makes exploring with it more viable.

The bad / what I would like changed:

1) On the left panel, under navigation, fleet carriers are considered a station when filtered. If a system has a lot of carriers in it (like any of the systems where you can purchase one), this can make it really hard to actually find the station you are looking for. Creating another filter just for carriers would be nice.

2) Applied tariffs should not apply to the owner. I know it just goes into the the carrier funds and I can get it back, but why should my maintenance and outfitting have the tariff added.

3) Transferring cargo to the carrier was hard to find. It took me about 5 minutes to figure it out. I kept looking for it under the carrier services menu. I finally found out how to do it in the right panel under inventory. It was out of the way really. It would be nice to have an inventory button in the carrier services menu as well in case I want to transfer cargo to my ship.

4) Module storage is still capped at 120. Would be nice if each station / carrier could have a certain amount (like ships) instead of a total capped amount for these. Or, at least double the amount allowed to 240.

5) Galaxy map bookmarks are now orange. Lots of things are orange or very close like navigation markers, starter zone markers, and fleet carrier markers. Makes it hard to find some things. Please change them back to blue and the ships stored back to red.

6) Voice coms, greeting from the carrier, is too quiet and jumbled. Hard to understand. We have a bridge crew. Why can't it be a real person voice. It at least needs to be a bit louder.

7) Would like the ability to trade in rare goods. At least we can store them.

8) When in the system map, it would be nice to know the ls distance that a fleet carrier is from the star. Stations give an arrival point in ls, just like a planet, but fleet carriers do not. Would help a lot since sometimes carriers end up kinda far from the main star, and sometimes they are very close.

9) NPC ships come and go but offer no passive income. Seems like a missed opportunity to me. Passive income then could be tied to the system population or if it is in a boom.

10) Your bridge crew does next to nothing for you. They should be able to also help bring in a passive income, or be sent out on missions to either gain commodities or income for you. I already pay them, make them work!

11) There needs to be some way to communicate what a carrier is selling. Even better if that info can be found in the galaxy or system map. People are not going to visit any carriers if there is no good info. Maybe even an ability to write a short description that would show up under the carrier name. Just 140 characters or something.

12) Cannot donate funds to a carrier. You can donate tritium, to a point, but not credits. Only the owner would be able to take funds out, but for squadrons it would be nice to be able to donate credits to help fund it. Just like a real bank account, everyone could be able to make a deposit, but only the owner can make a withdrawal. I am intrigued why this isn't a function since they were originally designed for squadrons, at least that is what I have heard.

Bugs? / Potential problems noticed:

1) When transferring ships to the carrier you receive a message immediately saying that it has arrived but it is still in transit. (I think others have reported this)

2) Transferred occupied escape pod to carrier (via transfer all) and now cannot transfer back to ship cargo. Tried to set them up for sale, but won't show up to purchase. Same happened with wreckage components and I am assuming all things that would go under search and rescue in stations. There is no way to sell or transfer them back to the ship from the right panel. The only place they show that they exist is if you try to adjust the carrier market. In fact, in the commodity trading tab of the fleet carrier management, it shows it as an active export. You just don't see it to purchase from the commodities market. I have tried to log out and log back in. Still not able to purchase.

3) When I go to my market to buy something (like any person would on my carrier) the galactic averages are all wrong. It just shows negative the buying price. EX: beer: buy for 30 credits would show -30 from galactic average... which is wrong.

4) First weekly update completed. Message sent to me says total deducted from carrier balance was 0. I do not have a negative balance. Not sure what happened there. I also have plenty of credits in my carrier funds.

5) Ships available to sell when I have not purchased any stock. Dispite not adding any stock to my shipyard, I just found 4 ships available for purchase in it. Cobra 3, Diamondback Scout, Asp Explorer, and Python. And to top it off they are selling at the 15% Li Yong-Rui discount! I am in the system IX, which is controlled by Li Yong-Rui. The other carrier in the system with a shipyard also has these 4 ships available. I moved the carrier to a non Li Yong-Rui controlled system, and the ships were gone. Moved back to IX and they are available again, same ships.

6) When setting a carrier jump, the timer starts at 16 minutes, not 15. Not really a big deal, but something I noticed.

7) Trying to find carrier vendors and administrations is hard via the galaxy map. Filtering for them does not highlight them even when I have traveled to them before. (Checked Alcor, where I bought my carrier, and Skeggiko O, since it is near Shinrarta and I traveled there in the beta as well). Only seems to work if you actually fly close to them. (not sure the distance away, but right next to them they would show up properly when filtered for in the galaxy map) This is actually an issue I have noticed in the main game as well. Looking for services only seems to work if you can fly there from where you are currently.

8) Using the redemption office on my carrier to redeem an Alliance intel package caused the game to crash. (I think I saw this reported, but not 100% sure) Tried twice. Both crashed. Reported with video clip via PS4 crash report.

My conclusions:

I really like the idea of fleet carriers. In my time with them, my 2 favorite things are the ability to bring all my ships places and the ability to store cargo. Is that worth 5 billion credits? I'm not sure yet. The upkeep at first seemed ok, but it was pro-rated for the short week. Total upkeep with all services is over 25 million a week. I for sure won't be adding all services. I will thank you for giving owners the ability to store ships and modules as part of the core services. They weren't much of a fleet carrier without being able to carry your fleet.

I do like that decommissioning isn't as big of a loss, but I still don't see selling it off as the proper way to do it. Just kick it from the servers, make it dormant, or not allow it to be seen if the player goes into too much debt.

Right now, there is really no reason to visit anyone else's fleet carriers. Unless they want to sell things at a loss, prices there aren't going to be worth it. You cannot buy ships or modules for stock at reduced prices either, so it is pointless to sell ships or modules. After a couple days, once I had finished transferring my ships and stocking my ship with tritium, I really didn't know what else to do. So I decided to become a tritium fairy and go around giving away tritium to other carriers that I found. It is just a beta, so who cares about money right now. Once this goes live though, I really don't see them adding a lot of value for a commander.

Haven't tried mining for tritium. Heard it is a grind. Price is kind of high, but I'm ok with that because you could make some money off of it them. Maybe make more hotspots for it.

Will I buy one. Probably... eventually. Not right away. Need to make sure the bugs are worked out. I won't buy all services. I will need to mine even more just to have money in the bank.

Hope this info helps in some way. I do enjoy this game, and am hoping for the best in the new era.

o7 - RockinVs

5 bil for what u get its not worth it
I think the 5billion is too much given the spread of ships and prices all ready. If you think of what you can buy in stations and how you can kit the top range out, 500 million gives you a lot. So a carrier for me, could have been in itself 3 stages. Small say 6 docks at 500 million, medium 2 billion and large at 4 billion. This would enable more to reach a target. Thats how I would implement this, thinking of old role player games I did years ago.

Source: https://youtu.be/yP9fIl78SiQ

My wingmate and I tested the time a carrier needs to jump, cooldown, and refueled vs how far a simple Sidewinder would come on a distance of a 500 LY jump. The result was that the carrier would gain 40% (that's the optimal case) of its fuel after the jump back before the Sidewinder arrives at the carrier. From this point on the Sidewinder could easily get up to 700 LY in the same amount of time as the carrier needs to jump and refuel (500 LY jump). If you drain now the whole tritium in the carrier the Sidewinder passes by waves at you mining and continues for the next 800 LY without the carrier to move at all. So do that over a course of 2 or 3 runs and the carrier can't catch up anymore. A Sidewinder is faster and more efficient than the most expensive ship in the game.

Now you got the case here's my suggestion:
1. Fuel needs to be more efficient
2. The jumprange needs to be increased
3. Mining must be less time consuming, more efficient.

Variant 1: 1000 tons of tritium should get the carrier up to 8000-10.000 LY when the mining stays the same.

Variant 2: Mining tritium in a hotspot needs to get efficient that 1000 tons of tritium can easily be mined in less than 1 hour

Variant 3: The carrier needs to perform a 2000-8000 LY jump if the mining and fuel consumption stays the same.

Variant 4: A balanced mix of all the 3 variants above.

The carrier needs to be improved for the existence in the explorer community. At this point the carrier has not much of a purpose than to drain credits.

o7

PS: the first part of the experiment is on my YT channel too, if you want to check if it's legit

is called carrier which is a ship
Ok, I'm off to get a ship full of wine then :ROFLMAO:

1589799126003.png

Edit:
  • Ships in this game can be flows in superscruise - carriers cannot
  • Ships can be engineered - carriers cannot
  • Ships scoop their own fuel - carriers do not
  • Ships have cockpits where you fly them - carriers do not
The main complaints people have about carriers are when they think of them as ships. They are different.

Last edited:
Aside from the occasional game crash in beta, which i am sure will be fixed in the final version ;) i have a few points.

1. The economy aspect will not work if NPCs are not really interacting with the carrier. Especially on PS4, there is no way that this will work if only players can contribute to the economy off the carrier, it also destroys immersion if NPCs are swarming it, but will not use the market. i'd like to see NPCs also using the market, in a way that smart decisions will allow NPCs to at least trade to a level that makes the carrier financially self suppporting (i.e. to the level of the upkeep. It would also make sense to allow buying and selling both at the same time, i.e. parking tthe carrier near an outpost where traders (players and NPCs) can sell commodities from the outpost and large ship can then buy the stuff and ship to another system. Personally, i play on PS4 in a small squad, so if we go for a longer exploration trip in one of the carriers as a group, it would be cool for the left behind carriers to be able to make some money instead of just being a money sinkhole. Also, with the coming DLC and its base building in mind, i'd like a kind of micromamagement aspect that allows players to benefit from NPCs in a micromanagement-ish playstyle, i.e. attracting NPCs to contribute to the carrier and later base economy. Not sure how this is going to be, but i imagine it would be super fun to create a mini bubble with different economies (i.e. agriculture, refinery, industrial ..) that allow supply chains which also would need NPCs for support. I can also imagine to be able to hire NPCs similiar to NPC crew members, so they will fulfill designated roles, like orc peons ;)

2. Tritium management: i think it's ok if players have to manually fill up the carrier's fuel reserve in cargo (though the approach of buying higher than the selling price in a near station to attract NPC traders would also make sense here), but what i think is really annoying is that there seems to be no way to directly transfer Tritium from the cargo to the fuel tank other than buying it from the carrier market and then donating it, which is very inconvenient on longer exploration trips as you have to dock on the carrier after 4 jumps if you scout ahead in a regular ship, which i think is the only way to seriously move the carrier (cause who would want to just do a jump every 20 minutes and do nothing in the meantime between the jumps. It also means that you need a ship with large cargo capacity on board just to move the Tritium from cargo to fuel tank.

3. I agree that the galaxy map new color scheme is no improvement, seems like there is too much orange now. I'd also like to see the carrier and current ship map not separated, cause it just means you have to switch from carrier to ship map and the other way from time to time.

4. Systems that currently have at least one carrier should have an indicator for that - it says so in the map info, but haven't seen this actually work yet.

Just in-case it gets lost in the mess of off topic posts above.. heres a clean stand alone post

GUI upgrade..
Console users and PC users should on every number field, be able to enter the exact values exactly like the game allows the text entry for galaxy map and chat...

PC user can use there Physical keyboard.. and console user can use the virtual keyboard or USB/BT keyboard...
ZERO scrolling required at any section that needs a number added at any section of the game, scrolling only there as optional secondary system. virtual keyboard can be displayed... consoles do not have VR so no issue with the HMD PC VR users can use the scrolling...
User created market on fleet carrier only amplifies how bad scrolling is for setting units and prices... when you setting up the markets...

You want exact duplicate values for what a T9 can carry not random values that over flow...
which means you waste storage space with scrolling... an exact value to add or remove a value...
Demo image...
EYfA_ltX0AEedvU.jpeg

Last edited:
My thoughts in no particular order. Apologies if I am reiterating previous comments.

Galaxy map needs a filter option to show location of vendors of carriers, and of carriers themselves.
Bug? When setting a jump point for a FC remotely from my ship, the set point was cancelled after jumping said ship into super-cruise.
Purchase of ships and modules for resale should come at a discounted price - at least equal to best price available (i.e. 20% discout). I'm buying in bulk - it is inconsistent with how trade works. Makes selling ships and modules nonviable.
Selection of ships and modules for sale must be fully controlled by player. I have spent years playing this game - I know exactly what I want for sale, and don't need my hand held to make the choice. Forcing me to stock useless ships and modules is inconsistent with how trade works. Makes selling ships and modules nonviable.
I want to be able to customise the FC registry number/code. For 5 billiion - I get to paint whatever the hell I want on the side of it.
I want to be able to see who is onboard or has visited my FC. Particularly if I'm about to jump.
Let docked commanders vote/nominate destinations of FC jumps, with the FC owner having the final say.
I want a command-centre seat. You can fade to black as currently exists for entering/exiting the SRV. No reason you can't do same with a FC. Would easily allow a different interface view of the FC services, and is a MUST HAVE for jumping.
Can't jump FC to a station - indicate this! Didn't realise this first time - put me in orbit of star by default.
NPC ships need to actually trade with the FC facilities - otherwise what is the point? Said trade has to be able to actually support the maintenance costs.
Currently, to jump FC, you have to do so by entering the Galaxy/System Map via the FC management screen. Need to be able to plot jumps from entering Galaxy/System maps in the first instance, and then choosing to plot either/both ship/FC to a location.
Multi-route jump plotting needs to be a thing.
Bug? Ship transfer from a location to FC. A message appears instantly saying ship is available, and the shipyard interface says the ship is instantly stored, but the ship is not actually arrived yet, and the timer for the transfer is normal when queried.
Bug? Commodity market - inventory in stock and set for sale not showing as available for purchase - tested by me and a friend, both FCs.
FC name not appearing on wall in docking bay.
Need global commodity trading controls. Let me determine a default buy/sell price for everything I want to trade in all at once, with micro-management as an option, rather than having to set every. single. item. one. by. one.
Items for sale not displaying in sale side of market.
Can't set a sell price for a commodity until you have at least one unit in stock? Makes it hard to set up conditions for a market for trading. This is inconsistent with how trade works. Makes buying/selling commodities nonviable.
Commodities Market needs to be an optional service. As it stands at the moment - it is useless and I don't want it.
Bug? When you've set a buy price for an item, and then go to set a sell price, it defaults to a sell value of 5% of galactic average, regardless of how much it was bought for.
Can't see items or prices for sale or purchase of commodities without landing on FC.
Can't see items or prices for sale or purchase of ships without landing on FC.
Can't see items or prices for sale or purchase of modules without landing on FC.
When scrolling through a list of available modules for purchase on a FC, the listed items class are in a reverse order to that of stations, lowest to highest.
Mining for Tritium was unfulfilling and tedious, 3 units for 1 hours work. NOT a workable rate for me.
Universal Cartographics is not value for money. I would never earn income enough from it to justify the weekly upkeep cost.

Final thoughts. I assume Livery options will be available in the released version. The default model and paint scheme don't do it for me.
As it stands, I will install a shipyard so my friends can dock, but I won't be purchasing ships for sale. I will set up for restock, repair and rearm, and cashing in bounties, but not for secure depot, Universal Cartographic, nor outfitting. The commodity market is useless without meaningful NPC participation, and is practically unworkable. The extra costs of 'wear and tear' after a jump are an unnecessary penalty. If I'm already paying tens of milliions of units a week, what exactly are my NPC crew doing all day?

Decomissioning a FC through a mechanism that takes my units (aka Time Invested in Game) is UNACCEPTABLE. Your stated excuse that it is to stop unused FCs from clogging up systems or servers is rubbish. This is a poorly disguised effort to exploit players through a sunk-cost strategy. If you want to keep the servers clean from unused FCs, you can mothball them after a predetermined time of inactivity, and 'disappear' them from the game until such time as player returns to the game.

I think the upkeep needs kicking out and my FC eats tritrium like cake. I summed it up in a few words. Other than that I'm very stoked about them and can't wait to get one for real!
..However the price needs reduction along with the services!!

I acquired a fleet carrier and installed all the services. Here is my feedback:

1) External view during jump. Having an external view of my fleet carrier jumping would be preferred or an option to view from the Bridge. It's rather dull to be stuck in the hanger during a jump sequence.

2) Explaining how commodity market works. I'm not sure how the buying and selling of commodities work as it is not clear on the Help page on the carrier menu.

3) Plot multiple jumps. For exploration, I would like to be able to plot a complete multi-jump route. It could have a similar max distance as plotting in your ship.

4) Collapsible system body list. When jumping into a system with a lot of fleet carriers, the system body list become quite extensive. A sub-menu for fleet carriers would be helpful; plus putting them in alphabetical name order in the system map would be great.

5) The NPC ships don't really seem to fo anything. NPC's should be more interactive. Maybe offer missions to source Tritium and other minerals that the fleet carrier owner pays for that NPC's and players can accept and partake.

Top Bottom