Fleet Carrier IDs

Just in case anyone is interested, them seem to be based upon some global number incrementing number - they don't seem to be based on either CMDR name or Account info.

A) Here's my initial ID - from a CMDR that's been around for a year:

1590326036010.png

B) After a Character Reset (to a different CMDR name):

1590326064887.png

C) And after switching back to my original CMDR name:
1590326094137.png

B and C are sooo close - must be some kind of global id.

If the ID was based upon CMDR name I would expect A and C to be the same, if it was based upon account id then I would expect A,B, and C to be the same.

* Note that I might have got the case wrong on C, though I don't think I did, which would explain a difference between A and C, but not why B & C are so similar.

o7

I think it's an internal "commander ID", probably the primary key in the table that stores commander details. When you do a reset, I think your old commander is only "soft deleted" and you get a new record in the database. Presumably this is so that any other data tied to it (such as discovery tags) still relate to an existing row in the database, even if it isn't in use by a player anymore. I had already suspected this from some other details. The carrier callsign is consistent for the same commander across both betas, so it seems fully deterministic with regard to that specific commander instance. And if you look in your local appdata folders in Windows, parallel to the options folder that contains the keybinds, there are numerically named folders that hold each commander's VisitedStarsCache. My main account (dating back to the kickstarter days) has a number in the thousands, whereas my alt's number is in the 4.4 million ballpark.

Looking at the carrier callsigns, with 6 alphanumeric digits, there are over 2 billion possible combinations. In fact, it's slightly higher than what's needed to represent the positive half of a signed 32-bit integer.

I 'm tempted to try to figure out if there's a direct binary mapping. If I had designed it, I'd probably have made an XOR mask to apply to the ID, perhaps after shuffling the bits around a bit, so as to get a ship ID that looks random, but is still 100% deterministic and guaranteed to be unique to that commander.

IMO it's based on when you last changed your cmdr names aka reseted / created your cmdr . that explain the last 2 being so close :).
Well sorry, posted without reading , Orvidius you explained it way better than me :p.

I think it's an internal "commander ID", probably the primary key in the table that stores commander details. When you do a reset, I think your old commander is only "soft deleted" and you get a new record in the database. Presumably this is so that any other data tied to it (such as discovery tags) still relate to an existing row in the database, even if it isn't in use by a player anymore. I had already suspected this from some other details. The carrier callsign is consistent for the same commander across both betas, so it seems fully deterministic with regard to that specific commander instance. And if you look in your local appdata folders in Windows, parallel to the options folder that contains the keybinds, there are numerically named folders that hold each commander's VisitedStarsCache. My main account (dating back to the kickstarter days) has a number in the thousands, whereas my alt's number is in the 4.4 million ballpark.

Looking at the carrier callsigns, with 6 alphanumeric digits, there are over 2 billion possible combinations. In fact, it's slightly higher than what's needed to represent the positive half of a signed 32-bit integer.

I 'm tempted to try to figure out if there's a direct binary mapping. If I had designed it, I'd probably have made an XOR mask to apply to the ID, perhaps after shuffling the bits around a bit, so as to get a ship ID that looks random, but is still 100% deterministic and guaranteed to be unique to that commander.
Im not sure about literal database keys, but to add to your point, once you delete your save or get the name changed, the name still is permanently reserved and locked to your account.

My guess was they're just some uuid like thing for carries specifically. They don't need to be associated with an account.

Anyone tested what happens if you don't go through with buying the carrier (you still get to see the Id), and buy one after a few days (so some carriers get sold in the meantime)? Is the ID still the same or does it change?

Trying to figure out if there's a way to kinda choose an Id.

I only see {letter}{digit}{digit}-{letter}{digit}{letter} which means 26*10*10*26*10*26 = 17,576,000 possible combinations.

I only see {letter}{digit}{digit}-{letter}{digit}{letter} which means 26*10*10*26*10*26 = 17,576,000 possible combinations.
Ah, that's a good point. I wouldn't be surprised if they have rules for additional formats should they need to go past the 17.5 million then, which probably isn't likely any time soon.

Now that I think about it, this makes perfect sense to avoid random words being generated.

The only thing that I would really care about would be if I could affect it.
In the same way that UK car registrations are random only within tight geographical stipulations, I wonder if it is possible to influence the Carrier ID assigned?

Oddly, I got exactly the same in Beta2 as I got in Beta1, which was unexpected. Both were purchased in Alcor System but were given different Names.

Two different dates of purchase but identical IDs.
I assume it might be some Algo mangling together a few things that can remain constant (?)

1590443389887.png

Am I the only one completely devastated by the recent callsign changes? Our carrier used to have a really nice one, that we - our squadron - were extremely happy with, and now it’s just pathetic, for lack of a better word. Such a permanent, forced change kinda hurts, especially after being so damn content with the previous callsign, and oh, not to mention SPENDING 5 BILLION + CREDITS on the carrier in the first place.

I really don’t want to sound like I’m whinning, here, even though I am, but there’s got to be SOME WAY around what they had to do to the callsigns that allows ppl to revert back, if the callsign is still available, or something... or even make your own, again, IF it’s available.

I know it’s such a small thing, and I shouldn’t care that much about it, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t extremely proud of having our carrier, finally, having the services, crew members, and livery all set up, and the callsign just added to that so much - it sounded great to say out loud, we were oh-so proud, and now... it just sounds like poop.

I also understand some people are probably happy about the change, because theirs sounds/looks better now than it did before, or are impartial because they don’t care as much, which is what it is - maybe I just shouldn’t care so much about a game I’ve poured thousands of hours into...

...but when I get on Elite now, I look at that new callsign, and I just cringe and turn off the game.

Such high highs to such extremely low lows in a matter of weeks.

What’s wrong with me? Why do I care and love this game so much?

What callsign changes? Asking for an uncarriered friend (me).
FDev ran into some issues with carrier names being duplicated either in system map, in game, in the nav panel, or a combination of the three - I’m honestly not sure which - but as such, it sounds like they were forced to reroll everyone’s carrier ID, or callsign.

Long story short; beautiful, beloved callsign = gone.
Or if really lucky; lousy, forgettable callsign = really cool callsign.

Or... the worst....

lousy, forgettable callsign
=
still lousy and forgettable callsign.

FDev ran into some issues with carrier names being duplicated either in system map, in game, in the nav panel, or a combination of the three - I’m honestly not sure which - but as such, it sounds like they were forced to reroll everyone’s carrier ID, or callsign.

Or... the worst....

=
I’m kidding! Having your beloved callsign turn to poo is definitely the worser outcome... I can certainly attest to that. 😂😂😂😅😢😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

Or... the worst....

=
I mean .. what's an example of the old call sign, and what's an example of the new call sign?

Top Bottom