"Flashlight uses a lot of power" - really?

They keep saying in the streams that the flashlight uses a lot of power - how is this even remotely possible? Even today in 2021 you can get really bright LED flashlights that can be powered for 30m to multiple hours on a small little battery.

Compared to keeping a commander warm at 50 kelvin temperatures, or powering a shield, no flashlight should even register for power usage.

I really hope we won't have to turn off the flashlight to save power - it just doesn't make sense.

Edit: Did anyone actually measure if it does use a noticeable amount of powerr?

Agreed.

It's probably that way for gameplay reasons (to make you prioritise and manage your power usage). But realistically it doesn't make any sense, no.

That's because it's a Space Light, not a flashlight. It's creating a wormhole connected to a lighted portion of the galaxy so the photons come out where you point the Space Light. As a result you get only the best photons but it is a little inefficient.

Edit: Read the manual and it's creating a wormhole anchored near a satellite orbiting the sun in the Space Light HQ system, so you really are guaranteed only the best photons. Not just some random place in the galaxy. Would be gross if they came from some crappy B-type star.

Last edited:
It's quite simple, get into a pressurised building, shields offline. You removed the other factors from the equation, now if the flashlight is on, all drain can be attributed to it.

I spent around 5 minutes looting with the light on, with little to no difference on the battery.

They keep saying in the streams that the flashlight uses a lot of power - how is this even remotely possible? Even today in 2021 you can get really bright LED flashlights that can be powered for 30m to multiple hours on a small little battery.
It's almost like it's a game and the developers have made gameplay decisions, rendering real-life comparisons non-sensical! Why do people keep falling into the "but in real-life ..." trap?

Also, do people not remember the flashlight from Half-Life? The flashlight battery in the Killing Floor games is also pretty rubbish. But at least those flashlights magically recharge while not in use.

It's quite simple, get into a pressurised building, shields offline. You removed the other factors from the equation, now if the flashlight is on, all drain can be attributed to it.

I spent around 5 minutes looting with the light on, with little to no difference on the battery.
Yeah, I think this ^ is correct. I initially thought it did too, until I was wandering around inside a powered settlement and didn't notice any significant battery drain.

This isn't a horror game. Using a flashlight or not in the game should be a decision solely based on if you want to see, or want to be stealthy. The strength of the flashlight is nothing special - a good LED light can also light up the whole side of buildings. I know there are decisions for "game reasons" - for example do I have the shields on ore not. That makes a lot of sense.

I guess some testing has to be done and if it really doesn't use a significant amount of power, perhaps they could stop repeating that it does on every single stream?

Compared to keeping a commander warm at 50 kelvin temperatures, or powering a shield, no flashlight should even register for power usage.

I really hope we won't have to turn off the flashlight to save power - it just doesn't make sense.

The game isn't a sim so they're going to do a lot of things for whatever their idea of balance is

This isn't a horror game. Using a flashlight or not in the game should be a decision solely based on if you want to see, or want to be stealthy. The strength of the flashlight is nothing special - a good LED light can also light up the whole side of buildings. I know there are decisions for "game reasons" - for example do I have the shields on ore not. That makes a lot of sense.

I guess some testing has to be done and if it really doesn't use a significant amount of power, perhaps they could stop repeating that it does on every single stream?
Streamers are all drama queens who trade in hyperbole for a living.

I also looted "explored" an empty settlement with the flashlight on an did not notice any power drain from it

Be thankful they didn't use the Day-Z batteries model then - you need to walk about and find a seperate battery for every single electrical item! If the battery runs out, you're in the dark until you find another one!

Top Bottom