Ok, I'm a bit late to this discussion and there are 30+ pages of backlog, so I haven't read existing suggestions.
One major use case for me is creating something to play with the X52 Pro's MFD. There's lots of data that would be great to have on the MFD, including:
* Information about the current *navigation* target, regardless of what the current ship target is (so players can cycle through possible Interdiction threats while flying to a station, for instance)
* Comms information, *especially* the ability to select a CMDR and initiate voice or text comms. In fact, extend this to general targeting as well... being able to scroll through a list of targets to find potential bounties would be nice.
* Useful tactical information about allies (once Wings is out), particularly shield and hull health, and distance to ally.
* Number of jumps left and number of light years remaining in currently plotted route! Hell, having this on the HUD would be nice, too.
* Subsystem/power control, cargo management, etc. Basically anything that requires a round-trip to the UI panel could be offloaded to either the MFD or an external app. This would make my second monitor pretty useful.
<system id='sol' name='Sol' x='0.0' y='0.0' z='0.0'> <object type='planet' name='Earth' x='' y='' z=''/> <object type='station' name='Abraham Lincoln' x='' y='' z=''> <wares> <offer id='1' ware_id='hydrogen-fuel' demand_price='0' supply_price='113' demand_level='0' supply_level='2'> </wares> <outfitting> <offer id='1' eq_id='burst-laser' price='4400' class='1' rating='f' type='fixed'> </outfitting> <shipyard> <offer id='1' ship_id='cobra-mk3' price='379718' allegiance='none' allegiance_rank='0'> </shipyard> </object> </system>
Thanks to everyone for their input on this topic. I was supposed to close this thread on Monday, but as I was out of the office that has been delayed. I shall close the thread tomorrow and begin the process of putting it together for internal review.