Exporting failures with using 6.1 ASCII - No textures connecting to the model in Thememaker's Toolkit

[SOLVED] Scroll down to read my reply containing the solve!

Hi,

Lately I've been trying to export models using the 6.1 ASCII FBX-export. The main difference between the 7.4 binary option and the 6.1 ASCII option is that when exporting the fbx through 6.1 ASCII my textures fail to connect to my model and its UV-map. It works perfectly fine exporting with 7.4 binary, it shows the textures in-game.

Is anyone else experiencing the same issue? I mean, what minor difference is there to make 7.4 binary work without fault and to have 6.1 ASCII fail simply by choosing one or the other?

/Delgus
 
Last edited:
Hi Delgus,

I'm facing exactly the same issue at the moment. Unfortunately I want to upload an animated object. But animations seems to work only with the ASCII exporter, but with that one I'm not able to get a image texture in game. Using the binary exporter, the texture works perfectly fine but the animation is messed up...
I've also checked the exported FBX file using the FBX review tool from Autodesk. The animation looks good in both FBX files (ASCII and binary). So it seems like that the resource compiler on the TMTK server messes up the animation of a binary FBX file in some way.
I'm pretty sure that there is a combination of object ratation and axis selection in the binary FBX exporter that works but I was not able to sort it out yet...
I wonder if somebody is out there with a solution because right now I'm in some kind of an dead end...
 
Hi Delgus,

I'm facing exactly the same issue at the moment. Unfortunately I want to upload an animated object. But animations seems to work only with the ASCII exporter, but with that one I'm not able to get a image texture in game. Using the binary exporter, the texture works perfectly fine but the animation is messed up...
I've also checked the exported FBX file using the FBX review tool from Autodesk. The animation looks good in both FBX files (ASCII and binary). So it seems like that the resource compiler on the TMTK server messes up the animation of a binary FBX file in some way.
I'm pretty sure that there is a combination of object ratation and axis selection in the binary FBX exporter that works but I was not able to sort it out yet...
I wonder if somebody is out there with a solution because right now I'm in some kind of an dead end...
Hey, I forgot about this thread and have not shared that I did find a solution to it. The problem was (I believe) that the ASCII exporting process got a little confused when I had too many old and unused materials set up.

141524


I solved it in the Outliner by entering All Scenes > Blender File and then checking to see if I had any materials there that I was not using (or materials that shared similiar names). For this example above I used only 4 different textures, and so only 4 materials should be present. If you have too many and it might be confusing I'd recommend just deleting your textures and reapply them to your mesh again (because your UV-mapping should still be present).

...and please, save your project before you start deleting textures off your meshes! My Blender usually crashes when I try doing that.

See if that helps at least! :)

Delgus
 
Last edited:
Hey, I forgot about this thread and have not shared that I did find a solution to it. The problem was (I believe) that the ASCII exporting process got a little confused when I had too many old and unused materials set up.

View attachment 141524

I solved it in the Outliner by entering All Scenes > Blender File and then checking to see if I had any materials there that I was not using (or materials that shared similiar names). For this example above I used only 4 different textures, and so only 4 materials should be present. If you have too many and it might be confusing I'd recommend just deleting your textures and reapply them to your mesh again (because your UV-mapping should still be present).

...and please, save your project before you start deleting textures off your meshes! My Blender usually crashes when I try doing that.

See if that helps at least! :)

Delgus
Hi Delgus,

thank you very much for your tip! That helped indeed :D
I always add a UV-Testgrid to my meshes during the UV-unwrap process, this texture was still in the blender file which causes the issues with the ASCII exporter.
Actually I only had this single texture inside the blend file because I tested it with a simple test-cylinder and added the texture only to the .zip file after the export.
So it seems that it is not the texure count which causes the issue but maybe textures that are part of the blender file which are not applied to any material...
Anyways, the conclusion is, if you keep your blend file clean, the ASCII exporter should work...

In the meantime I've also found a workaround for the binary exporter.
You have to rotate your armature +90deg around the X axis and don't apply the rotation.
And in the exporter you have to choose -Z Forward and Y Up.
142044


In PC you have rotate the object -90deg back tho... But at least the animation is not messed up.
The good thing is, this also works for the Blender 2.8 FBX exporter and I had no shader issues so far...

Thanks again for your help!
Have a good one!

Marketer
 
Top Bottom