Release [Explorer's Application] Captain's Log

Quick question....
When setting a destination for the 'distance to' overlay, does the 'search edsm' look to the live edsm or the local json or whatever it is?

Quite often the search fails to find anything for me (out on the edge of the Galaxy), but the systems are in Edsm because they're waypoints in the expedition (plus selecting them in EDD is no problem)

Maybe my question is moot and I should be asking if anyone else has search edsm issues for destination setting and/or what I can do to fix it.?

Edit..... Latest non beta version btw

How can I change the resolution of the window? I have two monitors, one 4k and the other is 1080p and the fonts and buttons seem to all be scrunch and not properly sized. I am thinking that adjusting the resolution or size of the window will fix it, but it doesn't seem to have a way to do that.

Please disregard my last question. I have figured out how to resolve the issue!
Looks like my particular setup required me to go to Captain's Log 2 Properties, select eh compatibility tab, and then check the "Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by: System (Enhanced)"

This has corrected the font and sizing issue for the most part!

In general, CL2.1.8b2 seems to be pretty sensitive. It freezes easily on my PC, either if i execute it after E: D, or when i close E: D before closing it (sometimes) or if i simply click on it while in overlay mode. After E: D 3.0 and CL 2.1.7, most of the time i have to EndTask CL. Is there a beta 3 coming soon, hopefully solving these problems?

Been ill over the past month or so.

Hi guys.

I had some illness which affected my eyesight over the past month and a bit - hit around the time of the easter break - bummer. So I had to take a break from looking at a monitor screen - the double vision, light sensitivity, eye/head aches made sure of that ;)

Anyway - I'm hoping to get back to doing stuff Soon[tm]

Regards,

Genar.

Hi guys.

I had some illness which affected my eyesight over the past month and a bit - hit around the time of the easter break - bummer. So I had to take a break from looking at a monitor screen - the double vision, light sensitivity, eye/head aches made sure of that ;)

Anyway - I'm hoping to get back to doing stuff Soon[tm]

Regards,

Genar.
Oh noes..... I get that with migraines occasionally but it only lasts a day, at most 2. Can't imagine several weeks!

Wishing you a speedy recovery commander, take of yourself.

In general, CL2.1.8b2 seems to be pretty sensitive. It freezes easily on my PC, either if i execute it after E: D, or when i close E: D before closing it (sometimes) or if i simply click on it while in overlay mode. After E: D 3.0 and CL 2.1.7, most of the time i have to EndTask CL. Is there a beta 3 coming soon, hopefully solving these problems?
To be more specific on this, if i start CL and do not wait for it to finish loading all data from the database (2300 stars), but i start another application (so CL looses focus), it freezes and i have to EndTask. Also, almost 100% of the time, when i close E: D, CL's window is restored (from overlay). If i click inside it, it freezes. If i close it directly ("Close" button or X) it has a good chance of closing normally.

EDIT: Also, clicking the overlay window, many times it causes a freeze.

Last edited:
Hey. I apologize for the bad english. Problem. I use CL 2.1.7 When scanning a planet, if there is a mineral of yttrium, the CL does not display any data. Corrects only Switch to highlighted DB. CL 2.1.6 and Beta 1 and 2 have the same problem.

shameless bump. will we see an update after the new release Genar?
I'm thinking these updates require a lot of work from you.

shameless bump. will we see an update after the new release Genar?
I'm thinking these updates require a lot of work from you.
Totally depends on what's needed to be done - still waiting on any updated documentation from FDEV on e.g. journal changes and/or additions etc.

Captain's Log 2 2.1.8 Beta 3 Available For Download - Allows You To Play With ED Game Betas

As per title, this new version has a new configuration option to allow one to use CL2 with the ED Game Beta(s).

Click the Configure button, click on the Directory Locations Tab, and see the section Use Live Game or Beta Player Journals.

Once selected, if this was the first time, CL2 will copy your GALAXY and Trip DB's to a new folder which is named after your current DB folder but with _gamebeta appended. CL2 will then need show a Restart message and button, as a restart is mandatory for this operation. CL2 will not copy the EDSM database of star systems, if you have one, as those are getting pretty yuuuuge these days, so it'll skip over that one.

Once restarted into Game Beta mode, CL2 will only read the Beta Journal files, and will only write data residing in the <db folder>_gamebeta folder. This keeps your live game data safe, secure, and separate from 'pollution' from the game beta(s).

Reverting back to Live Game mode is as simple as clicking on the "Use the Live game Player Journals" checkbox - again, a restart will be required.

Once restarted back into Live game mode, CL2 will load the live game Trip DB you were last using.

See https://captainslog.scarygliders.net/news/captain-s-log-2-1-8-beta-3-released-for-testing-now-has-option-to-work-with-ed-game-betas for the download link and Changelogs.

Regards o7

Yey! A new beta. Great news.

I hoped for a fix for the freezing issue that has become extremely irritating but...

I started it two times. The first it stayed in a working mode for more than half an hour, the second, it froze and crashed just a couple of seconds after loading the whole DB. :(

Yey! A new beta. Great news.

I hoped for a fix for the freezing issue that has become extremely irritating but...

I started it two times. The first it stayed in a working mode for more than half an hour, the second, it froze and crashed just a couple of seconds after loading the whole DB. :(
I'm currently working on a beta 4, hopefully with some of these frezzing bugs stomped on.

Regards o7

Captain's Log 2 2.1.8 Beta 4 Available For Download - Saves Logs to Text Files, and a Bugfix

- CL2 now saves its log messages to files.
- Standard/Info/Debug messages are saved to CL2.log
- Error messages are saved to CL2_err.log
- These files are created in a user's %TEMP% folder in Windows.
- Standard/Info messages are still sent to the in-app Logger tab.
- BUGFIX : tracked down and fixed the Trip Jump Bookmarking system. Basically, it works again!

See https://captainslog.scarygliders.net/news/captain-s-log-2-2-1-8-beta-4-available-for-download-now-saves-logs-to-files-and-a-bugfix/ for download link and some more details.

Regards o7

Hi Genar.

How to contact you and send some log files if we encounter a bug? I'm facing the crashes-at-startup issue and i have some logs i've gathered.

Hi Genar.

How to contact you and send some log files if we encounter a bug? I'm facing the crashes-at-startup issue and i have some logs i've gathered.
Hi there.

My Discord server is your best bet. The link to it is in my signature and on the CL website. There is a bugreport channel there, and if I'm not around (which is quite often the case as I'm very busy with paying projects ;) ) then there are one or two other very good and useful folks there who do offer some help and advice.

Rgds o7

Top Bottom