Release [Explorer's Application] Captain's Log

Great app. Thank you

One thing ....... If I click on the icon for what materials are available for FSD boost etc, in the right side panel that appears it is telling me I have non of the materials needed available on board........ But I have
Am I doing something wrong ?
Not really - it might be that I've coded this so far to only update when loading the game (the game has a journal entry which tells you how much mats you have when you start a game)

I'll check on that. Honestly can't remember offhand if I coded it to update when you pick up materials -- I'm sure I did! -- but there may have been changes in the Player Journal which I need to take into account which affected CL2. At the moment I've been fixing various bugs with 2.1.7 and have just released 2.1.8 beta 1 for testing which fixes a few bugs, for which I'll be making a post about in this thread.

Captain's Log 2.1.8 beta 1 Released For Testing, Contains Bugfixes & Enhancements

Download the beta from : https://www.dropbox.com/s/giudk6jwd1ed40o/Captain's Log 2_2.1.8 beta 1_setup.exe?dl=1

Report bugs to the CL2 Discord, invite link in my signature. Use #beta_bug_reports channel.

Changelogs

- BUGFIX : don't update overlay Lat/Lon entryboxes whilst checking for their validity, as this overwrites values being manually input, and is annoying.
- BUGFIX : changed BookmarkCurrentCoordsBtn from a QToolbutton to a QPushbutton, so that the following bugifx can be made...
- BUGFIX : set overlay BookmarkCurrentCoordsBtn setDefault() as False. This overrides the default Qt behaviour of triggering a pushbutton when RETURN is pressed in a Line Edit widget. This will prevent spurious additions of a lat/lon bookmark being added when trying to manually enter target lat/lon coords from the overlay.
- BUGFIX : added functions specifically to handle when Bearing & Distance Lat/Lon coords are manually entered, such that this is what updates their overlay counterparts rather than constantly updating them during validation. Derp.
- ENHANCEMENT : add an Overlays tab to the Configuration Manager
- ENHANCEMENT : make Autohiding the overlay when docked, optional.
- ENHANCEMENT : save/load the Autohiding Overlay when docked option to/from the INI configuration file.
- redesigned the way Galaxy db sessions get created. They now get created from a single Engine rather from new Engines-per-session-request.
- removed some old unused variables
- BUGFIX : use own DBINTERFACE when populating the trip db table, and make sure all sessions are closed and engines are switched off.
- moved the TripTotal class to its own module
- removed the TripTotal class from the V2DBInterface module
- BUGFIX : instead of having TripTotal check for the existence of a Trip database or checking to see if it can get DBsessions, why not do those checks BEFORE even starting a TripTotal thread.
- BUGFIX : now able to delete a trip db which was previously loaded, after switching to a new db
- BUGFIX : DockStateChanged (renamed from Docked) signal no longer expects a Boolean value to be transmitted within the signal.
- This release configured as a beta release, meaning it will not check for new versions.
- Version bumped to 2.1.8 beta 1

Not really - it might be that I've coded this so far to only update when loading the game (the game has a journal entry which tells you how much mats you have when you start a game)

I'll check on that. Honestly can't remember offhand if I coded it to update when you pick up materials -- I'm sure I did! -- but there may have been changes in the Player Journal which I need to take into account which affected CL2. At the moment I've been fixing various bugs with 2.1.7 and have just released 2.1.8 beta 1 for testing which fixes a few bugs, for which I'll be making a post about in this thread.

Thank you. It's not a huge problem at all.
It really is a brilliant prog.
Setting off in my first exploration , this will help massively

Hi.

I'd like to report that after upgrading to E: D 3.0 and CL 2.1.7, CL is not behaving well.

1. Having already installed CL 2.1.7, i executed it while i was upgrading E: D to 3.0. I tried it 2 times, both times it froze after loading the whole database. I assume it froze while trying to determine whether E: D was running or not, but i can't be sure. I don't really expect anything to be done about it since it occurred during E: D's upgrade process (which is rather strange time to execute CL), but i report it just in case...

2. A few minutes ago, after closing E: D, CL was still open. Instead of closing the overlay window and open the normal one, it just froze (again) and i had to kill it. That was the 2nd time it happened (it happened yesterday too).

I don't remember having freezes with 2.1.6, so perhaps some checks need to be done here. In general, while playing E: D i faced no issue with CL. When opening or closing E: D, the freezing issues occur.

P.S.: I tried ALT+C (which IIRC should switch between the overlay and normal windows) but it didn't seem to work...

Last edited:
Hi.

I'd like to report that after upgrading to E: D 3.0 and CL 2.1.7, CL is not behaving well.

1. Having already installed CL 2.1.7, i executed it while i was upgrading E: D to 3.0. I tried it 2 times, both times it froze after loading the whole database. I assume it froze while trying to determine whether E: D was running or not, but i can't be sure. I don't really expect anything to be done about it since it occurred during E: D's upgrade process (which is rather strange time to execute CL), but i report it just in case...

2. A few minutes ago, after closing E: D, CL was still open. Instead of closing the overlay window and open the normal one, it just froze (again) and i had to kill it. That was the 2nd time it happened (it happened yesterday too).

I don't remember having freezes with 2.1.6, so perhaps some checks need to be done here. In general, while playing E: D i faced no issue with CL. When opening or closing E: D, the freezing issues occur.

P.S.: I tried ALT+C (which IIRC should switch between the overlay and normal windows) but it didn't seem to work...
This also happened to me today. First time for me.

Cheers,
Mark

Hi.

This also happened to me today. First time for me.

Cheers,
Mark
I'm in the process of making a 2.1.8 release which fixes quite a few bugs (and probably introduces more bugs) - see the beta 1 announcement a few posts above.

I'll be producing beta releases of 2.1.8 until all nasties have been wiped out - beta 1 already contains a lot of fixes for stuff. You might try using that.

Note that you should always be keeping a backup of your CL2 databases before running a new version as well :) - I try to broadcast that bit of advice in as many ways as possible :)

Regards o7

Hi
Do I need to create a new DB each time I start ED or should the prog just update the existing DB as I start each session in the game

Hi
Do I need to create a new DB each time I start ED or should the prog just update the existing DB as I start each session in the game
The concept is that each DB represents a Trip - a Trip is an exploration trip you've embraked upon.

So, if you've decided to go off into the Void, exploring, then you'd usually create a Trip DB to record the star systems you have visited from start to finish.

If you then decide to go out off on another trip, you'd then create a new trip db.

Hope that helps!

The concept is that each DB represents a Trip - a Trip is an exploration trip you've embraked upon.

So, if you've decided to go off into the Void, exploring, then you'd usually create a Trip DB to record the star systems you have visited from start to finish.

If you then decide to go out off on another trip, you'd then create a new trip db.

Hope that helps!

Thank you for the reply.
I understand that but I'm making a trip to the core via a few Nebula , I can't do this in one sitting as I need to sleep at some point :).

Hi
The answer is no you don't need to create a new DB. 'Captains Log' will continue to update adding too your current DB until such time as you decide to create a new one and set is as active.

Captain's Log 2.1.8 beta 2 Released For Testing, Contains Bug Fixes & Enhancements

Download the beta from : https://www.dropbox.com/s/vv2shgrb5y11w45/Captain's Log 2_2.1.8 beta 2_setup.exe?dl=1

Report bugs to the CL2 Discord, invite link in my signature. Use #beta_bug_reports channel.

NOTE: The new standalone NAV overlay is still a Work In Progress. Be gentle with it ;) More work to it will be done for beta 3.

Regards o7

Changelogs

- BUGFIX : some logging messages were incorrectly formatted, causing the logger to produce an error message, which prevented some functions from carrying out their programming. This has now been fixed.
- added some more logging messages (making sure they're properly formatted)
- ENHANCEMENT : Added a copy of the Overlay NAV section as a separate standalone overlay widget.
- ENHANCEMENT : standalone NAV overlay is draggable - the position is saved to the configuration file.
- ENHANCEMENT : Added an option to enable or disable the standalone NAV overlay.
- ENHANCEMENT : standalone NAV overlay can be used even if not in overlay mode - this is handy for those users who have more than one monitor and want to have the CL2 main window displaying as normal on their other monitor.
- ENHANCEMENT : Added an option which makes auto-hiding the Main Big Overlay when docked, user-configurable.
- BUGFIX : legacy code from Captain's Log 1.x was continuously getting a whole DBInterface class whilst populating the Trip Databases table in Configuration - for each Trip database. This is insane behaviour and this has now been fixed. New behaviour is to obtain a DBInterface once, THEN loop through each Trip database in order to interrogate them for information to populate the Trip Databases table.
- ENHANCEMENT : altered the HotKeyWindows() class to enable adding more than one global hotkey. This will allow the addition of lots of new global hotkeys (these are application hotkeys which register even if the application does not have focus - like the original ALT-C global hotkey, for example)
- moved all the non-global, only-works-when-app-is-focused shortcut keys creation code together in the source, to make them easier to find later.
- added an ALT-N global hotkey for use in toggling the display of the standalone NAV overlay
- added the necessary code in order to have the standlone NAV overlay widgets display the same data as the Bearing/Big Main Overlay widgets
- added code to enable the display/hiding of the standalone NAV overlay. NOTE: this still needs more work before being feature-complete and this work will be done for the next beta release.
- Version bumped to 2.1.8 beta 2

The answer is no you don't need to create a new DB. 'Captains Log' will continue to update adding too your current DB until such time as you decide to create a new one and set is as active.

Thank you
I must be doing something wrong then because it doesn't
It will only record into a newly created database

Hi,

I get an Error message since lot of time with the old(at least half year old) Version2. looks like a pyton message. Version 1 runs pretty good.

Version 2 is running too on my system but than... ...

I have got the newest version of Captain's Log now... ... same problem. I show with a pic, what I get.

Please help, I have no idea...

[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Hi,

I get an Error message since lot of time with the old(at least half year old) Version2. looks like a pyton message. Version 1 runs pretty good.

Version 2 is running too on my system but than... ...

I have got the newest version of Captain's Log now... ... same problem. I show with a pic, what I get.

Please help, I have no idea...

[URL=http://www.imagenetz.de/f4521f1f7/CaptainsLog_Error.JPG.html][url]http://www.imagenetz.de/th4521f1f7/CaptainsLog_Error.JPG[/URL][/url]
"Unable to open database" == unable to open database.

So it looks like CL2 is unable to open (or create) a database.

Check permissions of your configured CL2 DB folder.

Alternatively, browse to %localappdata% , remove or rename the Captainslog2 folder, and run CL2 again, choosing the defaults for the First Time Run configuration - that should get CL2 up and running.

You're running a 4K or otherwise Hi-DPI screen, right?

Try bringing up the Windows Preferences menu for the CL2 exe file and going to the Compatibility tab - Override Hi-DPI Scaling Behaviour like so...

https://i.imgur.com/Yv6lEpf.png

It'll be one of those options of Application, System, or System (Enhanced) which might work to bring those pesky fonts back under control.

Think of CL2 as using 'legacy' toolkits for its production. One of these days I'll be able to switch over to something more modern.
Having the same issue font are too big.

On windows 7 and I usually just run the compatibility troubleshooter by right clicking the shortcut icon on the desktop to disable hi dpi setting and that usually does the trick or I just go disable via properties but it not working for me for this application for some reason font are still too big and cut off.

I am also having an issue where it crashes when I hit "QUIT" to close the program.

Last edited:
Hi.

I've faced this issue several times, with 2.1.8b2 and 2.1.7 (much worse there, in 2.1.8b2 things have improved). If i start E: D and while it's loading i start CL (or in general if i start CL after E: D), there's a good chance CL will freeze at some point, especially if i click in its window (overlay mode). This issue is new. It never occurred with E: D v2.x and CL 2.1.6.

Top Bottom