Release [Explorer's Application] Captain's Log

Thanks, that helped, for some reason my Journal log files are on an external drive instead of my C drive. The external drive USB connection had stopped working which obviously confused Captin's Log.
So I'm all fixed - thanks!

I guess we really won't know if there are any Sneak Changes that will cause issues until 3.0 drops, but I assume that the problem in the Journals that you had to code around has been acknowledged by FD? Really find CL a Huge Help even when I am in the Bubble.

I guess we really won't know if there are any Sneak Changes that will cause issues until 3.0 drops, but I assume that the problem in the Journals that you had to code around has been acknowledged by FD? Really find CL a Huge Help even when I am in the Bubble.
The HasLatLon thingy in the Status.json has been fixed, but I've just decided to stick with my own internally built version of that, coz it works so why not ;)

CL2 2.1.7 release is imminent.

I just spent the whole of Saturday updating the User Manual. Once I'm ready to release 2.1.7 I'll tell my web server to publish the new version of the manual, the News item, etc etc.

o7

CL2 2.1.7 Released - with full navigation system and lat/lon bookmarking

Full details here : https://captainslog.scarygliders.net/news/captain-s-log-2-1-7-released-for-ed-3-0/

Also updated the User Manual here : https://captainslog.scarygliders.net/user-manuals/captains-log-2x/

Send bug reports to the Discord channel, invite link in my sig. Use the #full_release_bug_reports channel there please.

Note that the full navigation features won't be usable until ED 3.0 goes live, also note the recipe for FSD Boost synthesis has changed in ED 3.0, and CL 2.1.7 already has this built in.

2.1.7 will work with ED 2.4 in the meantime, otherwise.

Back up your CL2 config folder and database files before running - this release involves a DB migration to create new DB tables for the NAV/Lat&Lon/Bookmarking stuff.

Headline Features

- Latitude & Longitude Bookmarking System!

- Bookmark as many lat/lon coords as you want per landable planet

- recall lat/lon bookmarks for a planet

- set a bookmarked lat/lon location as a target location

- edit a saved lat/lon bookmark

- delete a lat/lon bookmark

- instantly add your current lat/lon location as a bookmark, either by clicking an icon on the NAV section of the overlay, or from the Bearing & Distance panel on the main CL2 window. You can then edit this instant bookmark and edit the note.

- instant-added lat/lon bookmarks have the date and time the bookmark was created, added into the note field

- manually add a lat/lon bookmark

- CL2's Planet Table has a new Lat/Lon bookmark icon on the same row as a planet, indicating there is or are lat/lon bookmarks for that body

- updated NAV section on the overlay

- overlay NAV will get you to your target lat/lon location

- overlay NAV works in real time

- overlay NAV realtime target bearing, target distance, and direction arrow indicators

- overlay NAV distance to target accounts for whether you are in flight (distance to target is flight distance taking altitude as a factor), or driving on a planet surface in an SRV (ground distance to target).

- overlay layout reorganised

- overlay automatic hiding when docked

Last edited:
Hi,
Is there an way to fill in missed jumps?
After 3.0 downloaded this morning (my time) and I eventually got in passed the nginx errors, I noticed CL was not updating.
I quit and restarted...still nope.
Quit and started as admin....nope....scanned a body and it appeared and next jump was noted.

Clearly I have some odd issue to fix (I'll try take ownership of all the relevant folders), but is there a way to get the missing half dozen or so jumps into the trip log?

Hi,
Is there an way to fill in missed jumps?
After 3.0 downloaded this morning (my time) and I eventually got in passed the nginx errors, I noticed CL was not updating.
I quit and restarted...still nope.
Quit and started as admin....nope....scanned a body and it appeared and next jump was noted.

Clearly I have some odd issue to fix (I'll try take ownership of all the relevant folders), but is there a way to get the missing half dozen or so jumps into the trip log?
nginx errors?

If jumps have been missed, the only way to get 'em back in would be to start a new blank trip DB and import the logs into that.

Regards

nginx errors?

If jumps have been missed, the only way to get 'em back in would be to start a new blank trip DB and import the logs into that.

Regards
Darn. OK. I'll live with the gap.. I'm 130kly into the trip..

Yes, Nginx errors were on the game launcher.....sorry, realise now it could be construed as CL which it wasn't.

I have downloaded updated to CL 2.1.7 as per the instructions and was anxious to try out the Navigation function. I may be doing it wrong and not understand the new function, but it does not appear to be working for me.

I approached a planet (didn't have to scan it, it was already known to me but not in the CL database) and once in Orbital Cruise I opened the main CL window by hotkey and I set the planets Radius and the destination coordinates. No bearing indicator showed on the overlay.

Does it not work on planets that are not scanned by me (therefore not in the CL Database) but already known? Must I have the Detailed Scanner even on known worlds? (I was in a new ship for testing)

Am I doing it wrong? (probably the right answer) :p

I have downloaded updated to CL 2.1.7 as per the instructions and was anxious to try out the Navigation function. I may be doing it wrong and not understand the new function, but it does not appear to be working for me.

I approached a planet (didn't have to scan it, it was already known to me but not in the CL database) and once in Orbital Cruise I opened the main CL window by hotkey and I set the planets Radius and the destination coordinates. No bearing indicator showed on the overlay.

Does it not work on planets that are not scanned by me (therefore not in the CL Database) but already known? Must I have the Detailed Scanner even on known worlds? (I was in a new ship for testing)

Am I doing it wrong? (probably the right answer) :p
I think CL2 needs to know about the planet - I may have coded everything with the assumption that the planet you want to land on or fly around has had a scan performed and hence the data loaded into CL2.

It is an app with Exploration in mind after all :)

If this is a planet in one of the 'known' systems - i.e. the ship already had all the scan data (as with a lot of bubble systems), and if that system has a Nav Beacon, you can go to the Nav Beacon and scan it. Note that having a DSS fitted whilst doing so is recommended. Captain's Log will then receive all the data about all the bodies within that system, exactly as if you have DSS scanned them yourself.

I think CL2 needs to know about the planet - I may have coded everything with the assumption that the planet you want to land on or fly around has had a scan performed and hence the data loaded into CL2.

It is an app with Exploration in mind after all :)

If this is a planet in one of the 'known' systems - i.e. the ship already had all the scan data (as with a lot of bubble systems), and if that system has a Nav Beacon, you can go to the Nav Beacon and scan it. Note that having a DSS fitted whilst doing so is recommended. Captain's Log will then receive all the data about all the bodies within that system, exactly as if you have DSS scanned them yourself.
Definitely in the bubble known system, Shinrarta, so I had all the data. I assumed that CL would pick it up from the journals and know I would be on approach when in orbital and would take my coordinates.

I know its more for exploration, which I am using it for, but the other uses for it on known planets because of the navigation ability would a boon. I am using it on my other account, but was dying to try out the Chieftain and of course, that meant landing on a new looking planet to compare how it looked before.

So scanning the Beacon would be the only option for places that are already know?

Definitely in the bubble known system, Shinrarta, so I had all the data. I assumed that CL would pick it up from the journals and know I would be on approach when in orbital and would take my coordinates.

I know its more for exploration, which I am using it for, but the other uses for it on known planets because of the navigation ability would a boon. I am using it on my other account, but was dying to try out the Chieftain and of course, that meant landing on a new looking planet to compare how it looked before.

So scanning the Beacon would be the only option for places that are already know?
That's the only way Frontier has provided - very kindly too I might add! We didn't have the nav beacon scan like that before! That was introduced in the previous last Horizons update. :)

I'm still campaigning to get some way of being able to force a re-scan of a body, if you have scanned it before. That's the next step in helping 3rd party apps become even more useful!

Regards

Last edited:
I like what Captain's log is trying to do but I find it difficult to read. Is there anyway to change the font? This is what I see and can't find a way to change it.

Am I the only one that's got this problem?

Cheers,
Mark

I like what Captain's log is trying to do but I find it difficult to read. Is there anyway to change the font? This is what I see and can't find a way to change it.
https://i.imgur.com/RyXJGR1.png

Am I the only one that's got this problem?

Cheers,
Mark
You're running a 4K or otherwise Hi-DPI screen, right?

Try bringing up the Windows Preferences menu for the CL2 exe file and going to the Compatibility tab - Override Hi-DPI Scaling Behaviour like so...

It'll be one of those options of Application, System, or System (Enhanced) which might work to bring those pesky fonts back under control.

Think of CL2 as using 'legacy' toolkits for its production. One of these days I'll be able to switch over to something more modern.

Last edited:
You're running a 4K or otherwise Hi-DPI screen, right?

Try bringing up the Windows Preferences menu for the CL2 exe file and going to the Compatibility tab - Override Hi-DPI Scaling Behaviour like so...

https://i.imgur.com/Yv6lEpf.png

It'll be one of those options of Application, System, or System (Enhanced) which might work to bring those pesky fonts back under control.

Think of CL2 as using 'legacy' toolkits for its production. One of these days I'll be able to switch over to something more modern.
You are correct, I am running 4K and your suggestion fixed the problem, thank you very much.

Cheers,
Mark

So quick question about the planet bookmarks. Didn't get chance to try yet (have landed and noted the coordinates updating :)) but are these addable only for planets you're currently or specifically known to you (well...CL)?

Maybe I'm better pitching an idea...
Being on an expedition at the moment (DECE) the base camp coordinates get published a few days or weeks ahead of time by the scouts. It would be awesome to be able to add these coordinates into CL so when we arrive and scan the planet, the base camp is known so we be directed towards it.

I don't know how bookmarks are handled (yet) but if there were multiple on a body, perhaps a mini list could pop up and something magical like 'Alt & arrow up/down' could be used to choose the one you want without necessarily losing control of the ship.

The prepopulating bookmarks idea also gives rise to extension.....export/import options for easy sharing between Cmdr's, and maybe having them stored and read from EDSM (restricted to expedition organisers perhaps for the storing and obviously EDSM needs to be extended for this).

Loving the new versions of Captains Log, (just returned to the game after a year away, and the improvements to this application are astonishing).

Quite interested in the planet bookmarks, though I have yet to find anything worthy of them to test them on. What I'm more curious about though is if its possible to extend that coordinate system to cover planetary rings?
Reading some of the other threads about mining, it seems that the contents of planetary rings are persistent, so being able to book mark lucrative coordinates would be very very useful. :)

So quick question about the planet bookmarks. Didn't get chance to try yet (have landed and noted the coordinates updating :)) but are these addable only for planets you're currently or specifically known to you (well...CL)?

Maybe I'm better pitching an idea...
Being on an expedition at the moment (DECE) the base camp coordinates get published a few days or weeks ahead of time by the scouts. It would be awesome to be able to add these coordinates into CL so when we arrive and scan the planet, the base camp is known so we be directed towards it.

I don't know how bookmarks are handled (yet) but if there were multiple on a body, perhaps a mini list could pop up and something magical like 'Alt & arrow up/down' could be used to choose the one you want without necessarily losing control of the ship.

The prepopulating bookmarks idea also gives rise to extension.....export/import options for easy sharing between Cmdr's, and maybe having them stored and read from EDSM (restricted to expedition organisers perhaps for the storing and obviously EDSM needs to be extended for this).
Currently you can only add bookmarks to landable planets already known to CL2.

You would have to manually add the star system name, then the planet name, then the planet data (e.g. radius and all the rest) before being able to add bookmarks. And that'd be horribly cumbersome and laborious. I'd also need to design a UI for that, plus write the UI glue code and the necessary code to bung that data to the Galaxy database.

Then you could add as many bookmarks per landable planet as you want.

I hear you about the mini list pop-up. I thought of that one already but didn't have the time to include something like that (had a similar idea for selecting planets too) - it was hard work getting the lat/lon bookmarking system added (as you could probably see from the changelist ;) ) as well as retro-fitting the new Status.json feed to the previously manual-entry-only Bearing & Distance Calculator :)

But yeah - it would take a bit of work to produce some kind of manual adding of a system + system bodies thingy. It's certainly possible though.

I am pondering having Captain's Log communicate with my own server with a back-end database for transferring data between CL2 clients, although perhaps I could do this via EDSM in some way.

I like all of the stuff you're saying, but yeah it'd take quite a lot of work to achieve :)

Loving the new versions of Captains Log, (just returned to the game after a year away, and the improvements to this application are astonishing).

Quite interested in the planet bookmarks, though I have yet to find anything worthy of them to test them on. What I'm more curious about though is if its possible to extend that coordinate system to cover planetary rings?
Reading some of the other threads about mining, it seems that the contents of planetary rings are persistent, so being able to book mark lucrative coordinates would be very very useful. :)
Ring systems do not have any kind of coordinate system in the game, so there is nothing to work with to accomplish something like that.

You would have to manually add the star system name, then the planet name, then the planet data (e.g. radius and all the rest) before being able to add bookmarks. And that'd be horribly cumbersome and laborious. I'd also need to design a UI for that, plus write the UI glue code and the necessary code to bung that data to the Galaxy database.
I think it could only be for bodies scanned and pushed to EDSM. So system and body names can be searchable from EDSM, much like the set destination is done now.
I think you only need to store the co-ords up front. When we arrive in system and scan the body, all radius etc becomes known to CL and it can then calculate headings etc. This calculation only makes sense as we enter orbit, so knowing the radius beforehand ought not be needed. The bookmark is just a pair of arbitrary numbers until we get there.

The programme is awesome already :D
Just tossing ideas around really :)

I think it could only be for bodies scanned and pushed to EDSM. So system and body names can be searchable from EDSM, much like the set destination is done now.
I think you only need to store the co-ords up front. When we arrive in system and scan the body, all radius etc becomes known to CL and it can then calculate headings etc. This calculation only makes sense as we enter orbit, so knowing the radius beforehand ought not be needed. The bookmark is just a pair of arbitrary numbers until we get there.

The programme is awesome already :D
Just tossing ideas around really :)
Ideas are always appreciated :)

Great app. Thank you

One thing ....... If I click on the icon for what materials are available for FSD boost etc, in the right side panel that appears it is telling me I have non of the materials needed available on board........ But I have
Am I doing something wrong ?

Top Bottom