Expansions: BGS Guide Best Current Thinking

I checked home sector of my faction after expansion and bulletin info tells that - Faction X Company expanded from the X System (sytem I'm currently in and their home sector). And that is it. I also couldn't find their presence in nearest sectors. Normally expansion destination is stated, but not in this case. Does it mean that was a long range attempt without actual expanion?

Last edited:
I checked home sector of my faction after expansion and bulletin info tells that - Faction X Company expanded from the X System (sytem I'm currently in and their home sector). And that is it. I also couldn't find their presence in nearest sectors. Normally expansion destination is stated, but not in this case. Does it mean that was a long range attempt without actual expanion?
It's possible. Can you check a squadron page for them?

I've had exactly the same experience. A subsequent expansion from the same location worked as expected. I definitely ran missions in support of the second expansion, but I think I let the first take its own course (I'm in a less travelled region so random passers-by are less likely to create unintended consequences).

I've had exactly the same experience. A subsequent expansion from the same location worked as expected. I definitely ran missions in support of the second expansion, but I think I let the first take its own course (I'm in a less travelled region so random passers-by are less likely to create unintended consequences).

I did a handful of mission during this "dud expansion", there are five free sectors left in range of 26-30ly, but my guys didn't go there

I did a handful of mission during this "dud expansion", there are five free sectors left in range of 26-30ly, but my guys didn't go there
As I recall it's a 40Ly sided cube centred on you, perhaps those five are outside the bounds of the box?
EDIT - check the XYZ coords, if they are more than +/- 20Ly that would explain it.

Last edited:
We are not seeing Invasions that far away, and it would be crazy to Invade 69ly away (now that its lowest inf in range, not closest). We had one go on the naughty list just a month or 3 ago.
I assumed it was a Max Delta of 30 (60x60x60), but I wanted to verify. Guess we will know for sure in another 7 cycles (Zzzzzzz), only have 2 left in the 30 Cube.

I assumed it was a Max Delta of 30 (60x60x60), but I wanted to verify. Guess we will know for sure in another 7 cycles (Zzzzzzz), only have 2 left in the 30 Cube.
That looks about right, actually - the old case I have has one on the edge of a 30 Cube and then ran out of targets.

Running out of targets seems to permanently prevent future expansions from that system - the one I'm looking at ran out of targets in Aug 3304 and despite subsequent retreats and the relaxed invasion room giving it space, and despite it being near-permanently over 75% at home, it hasn't expanded since.

Our latest Pending is from our Home System which for the last several years has been over 75% virtually permanently, had no expansion targets (normal or extended), has never attempted to expand. We have always assumed (reasonably) that it was on the "Naughty List", i.e. Marked as a system to not expand from.
We have plenty of other systems over 75% with close simple expansions available

Has the naughty list been reset (and when), is this yet another million to one chance that happens all the time, has the entire "fixed but apparently random" process changed, or is expansion borked ?
Other recent ones have also not matched "perceived wisdom"

Last edited:
Has the naughty list been reset (and when), is this yet another million to one chance that happens all the time, has the entire "fixed but apparently random" process changed, or is expansion borked ?
Known barred system out here is still over 75% (has been for months) and still not expanding. (This faction is in no other systems so it's not just expanding from elsewhere)

Hope someone can help my sanity... I'm in my small system with my player minor faction. We're currently a distant second to a faction from another system (c12% versus 60%). The third placed faction for the last three weeks has got close to my factions influence, triggering a war. I win the war each time (outright victory), see the other faction slip back a few percent. However, despite doing various missions (the main faction controls all the stations and dockable outposts), within 24 hours, my influence gets stuck, the third placed faction goes back up, and a war returns.

There is very little system traffic, neither my faction or the third placed one controls and dockable ports, and I win each war every day so no one appears to be working for the third placed faction.

Any ideas please on what is going on / how do I break free this week when I win the war to start chasing the main (60% influence) faction....?

If there are only the 3 factions, what you described to be is that there is some work being done for the Third faction. In the majority of cases NPC Influence does not move if nothing is being done. My first thought is to not fight the war for a day or two and see if any players are actively opposing you. Upon winning the war, you should do a massive, i.e. Daily Cap, of INF work and that should spike you well above any kind of rebound the NPC could gain from BGS randomness.

Hope someone can help my sanity... I'm in my small system with my player minor faction. We're currently a distant second to a faction from another system (c12% versus 60%). The third placed faction for the last three weeks has got close to my factions influence, triggering a war. I win the war each time (outright victory), see the other faction slip back a few percent. However, despite doing various missions (the main faction controls all the stations and dockable outposts), within 24 hours, my influence gets stuck, the third placed faction goes back up, and a war returns.

There is very little system traffic, neither my faction or the third placed one controls and dockable ports, and I win each war every day so no one appears to be working for the third placed faction.

Any ideas please on what is going on / how do I break free this week when I win the war to start chasing the main (60% influence) faction....?
Guessing the War is over a non-dockable ground base that is the target for nearby missions giving you a steady nerf. Getting out of it isnt easy with only 3 factions. With 4 its easy, so try and get someone to expand into your system. (Tried to help by looking you up on Inara. Not a lot of info there, but your cash graph doesnt look like you are putting in a mass of work)

Thanks Dommarraa. There's 7 factions overall (sorry should have been clearer), the other 4 tend to be sub 5% influence. I sadly don't have the time to sink into this at the moment so at best get an hour a day!

Did the expansion tax get added back in with the Fleet Carrier update? I had heard that it had, but Jane didn't update the page.

Top Bottom