Expansions: BGS Guide Best Current Thinking

Since 3.3 it seems that faction influence is not reduced after expansion. This I have witnessed on many occasions. I have now heard of two other occasions, as well as mine now, where influence dropped alarmingly during the expansion period. Is there a situation where this might happen other than through intervention by griefers or enemies?

Since 3.3 it seems that faction influence is not reduced after expansion. This I have witnessed on many occasions. I have now heard of two other occasions, as well as mine now, where influence dropped alarmingly during the expansion period. Is there a situation where this might happen other than through intervention by griefers or enemies?
Normal BGS activity will still reduce influence, yes. Depending on what else is in the system (and neighbouring systems) it could just be random traffic rather than specific enemies - when you're at 75%+ it's pretty easy for random traffic to help the other factions more than it helps you.

Ironically I'm thinking it may be in my best interest to avoid expansion once I gain control of the little backwater system I recently moved to. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew, or worse, catch the attention of any PMFs in this region of space!

So the trick is to make sure my faction stays below 75% influence, yes?

Normal BGS activity will still reduce influence, yes. Depending on what else is in the system (and neighbouring systems) it could just be random traffic rather than specific enemies - when you're at 75%+ it's pretty easy for random traffic to help the other factions more than it helps you.
This is way more than random traffic. Up until now things have been virtually static. then a 4% drop as soon as we went into pending expansion in one tick and massive effort to bring it back up 2%. Definitely not random. Just wondered if it could be something other than a concerted attack.

Last edited:
This is way more than random traffic. Up until now things have been virtually static. then a 4% drop as soon as we went into pending expansion in one tick and massive effort to bring it back up 2%. Definitely not random. Just wondered if it could be something other than a concerted attack.
95% chance that is simple paranoia. Happens to all freshmen who tackle the bgs. No criticism or snarke, it really does always happen.
You have to accept that people come from nowhere, and disappear just as quickly. Maybe a day, maybe a week, but they move on sooner or later, and never have any interest in nerfing your faction.

95% chance that is simple paranoia. Happens to all freshmen who tackle the bgs. No criticism or snarke, it really does always happen.
You have to accept that people come from nowhere, and disappear just as quickly. Maybe a day, maybe a week, but they move on sooner or later, and never have any interest in nerfing your faction.
Yes I figured it was Cmdr activity, random or deliberate, but wanted to ask if anyone knew of a game mechanic that would explain the resistance. Wondered about multiple states. We are in Expansion, Boom and Civil Liberty. Could that have an effect. Can't see how but ????? Just trying to eliminate all other possibilities.

btw: Not exactly a noob. Been playing ED for 5 years now and bgs for the last 2. No insult taken. :)

Ironically I'm thinking it may be in my best interest to avoid expansion once I gain control of the little backwater system I recently moved to. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew, or worse, catch the attention of any PMFs in this region of space!

So the trick is to make sure my faction stays below 75% influence, yes?
Yes :)

Yes I figured it was Cmdr activity, random or deliberate, but wanted to ask if anyone knew of a game mechanic that would explain the resistance. Wondered about multiple states. We are in Expansion, Boom and Civil Liberty. Could that have an effect. Can't see how but ????? Just trying to eliminate all other possibilities.

btw: Not exactly a noob. Been playing ED for 5 years now and bgs for the last 2. No insult taken. :)
Your states could be luring in traders from nearby to take advantage of higher profits and they then take outgoing missions for other factions.
Or sometimes a leading faction's beneficial states increase the number of incoming missions from neighbouring systems that, strangely, all target one particular faction that isn't the leading one.

Your states could be luring in traders from nearby to take advantage of higher profits and they then take outgoing missions for other factions.
Or sometimes a leading faction's beneficial states increase the number of incoming missions from neighbouring systems that, strangely, all target one particular faction that isn't the leading one.
Just did a quick analysis of the influence changes over the last week and concluded that it almost certainly the result of player activity rather than in-game mechanics. Now feel comfortable that "Expansion does not diminish influence" still holds true which is what I wanted confirmation of and that I was right to dismiss in-game mechanic as a possible cause.
Thanks for the input.

All too true.
But itinerants can cause real problems if they have leanings towards a superpower. For example, if you are an Independent in Federation space and your uninvited guests are enthusiastically Fed, they can flatten your faction without thinking about it just by working exclusively for Fed-aligned factions.
Just because they aren't out to get you doesn't mean you should purge your paranoia - mine's still going strong after more than four years (but I don't twitch quite so much).

Strange thing happened.
One of my supported non-PMF losts 2 wars in a row, decreased to 7% (seven!) influence in its only system.
On this Monday its started an expansion state! After 2 days the expanison was a success! Onto a system 40lys(!!) away and totally empty(!!!).
You can check this on Inara, EDSM, EDDB, all says the same (apart from elitebgs, whats not updated since 33 hours).
The new system name is HIP 83701.
Can anybody explain it?

Possible manual control from FDev?
Something will happen there in the new September Update?

Strange thing happened.
One of my supported non-PMF losts 2 wars in a row, decreased to 7% (seven!) influence in its only system.
On this Monday its started an expansion state! After 2 days the expanison was a success! Onto a system 40lys(!!) away and totally empty(!!!).
You can check this on Inara, EDSM, EDDB, all says the same (apart from elitebgs, whats not updated since 33 hours).
The new system name is HIP 83701.
Can anybody explain it?

Possible manual control from FDev?
Something will happen there in the new September Update?
Sounds like a job for a support ticket. There's no assets in HIP 83701 as far as Inara/EDDB are concerned, and the galmap says there's no population or system allegience there.

EDIT: Oh wow. Vektor Zaremov's Legacy is a new Tourist Orbis in that system. Literally no notes of it anywhere. I'm going to assume FD decided to populate a new system... when they do this they tend to grab a random faction from a nearby system. But a single faction... that's odd.

2nd EDIT: It's already expanding again from that system too, obviously coz it's the only faction at 100%... so maybe a bugreport is due coz that faction will just infinitely expand in that case.

Last edited:
2nd EDIT: It's already expanding again from that system too, obviously coz it's the only faction at 100%... so maybe a bugreport is due coz that faction will just infinitely expand in that case.
That may be intentional - Frontier have set up single-faction systems before with the intent of getting several expansions out of them before another faction managed to expand there (though as it happened the inbound expansion was very quick)

There's a few other systems in potential expansion range which should slow it down eventually.

We have just triggered an expansion at 74,85%. So it seems the >75% given in the OP is not entirely correct, looks like it might be 75% after rounding. Perhaps you would like to correct.

Is there any control over expansion? I guess not. Triggered an expasion, did a handful of expansion support missions to closest sector with coriolis starport hoping they would expand over there. Instead of setting sail to that sector 6 ly away they expanded 25 ly away to some backwater world with a single distant surface site. Makes no sense at all :/

Is there any control over expansion? I guess not. Triggered an expasion, did a handful of expansion support missions to closest sector with coriolis starport hoping they would expand over there. Instead of setting sail to that sector 6 ly away they expanded 25 ly away to some backwater world with a single distant surface site. Makes no sense at all :/
There's a fixed priority order for expansions, so "control" consists of setting it up so that your preferred target is at the top of the list on expansion day.

Easier in some circumstances than others.

There's a fixed priority order for expansions, so "control" consists of setting it up so that your preferred target is at the top of the list on expansion day.

Easier in some circumstances than others.

So how do I set it up? By doing expansions mission on the fifth day to change that fixed priority order?

Top Bottom