Euro Truck Simulator is awesome!

In all seriousness It sounds really relaxing in theory. I assume that it's more fun than trucking in ED because ED's systems are so bare bones and there's no scenery to speak of. I mean, supercruise makes sense I guess, but it's really not very fun for extended periods of time, and the inputs required to get from point A to Point B can be accomplished while watching Netflix. Am I incorrect in assuming there's a bit more challenge to keeping your truck on the road?

In all seriousness It sounds really relaxing in theory. I assume that it's more fun than trucking in ED because ED's systems are so bare bones and there's no scenery to speak of. I mean, supercruise makes sense I guess, but it's really not very fun for extended periods of time, and the inputs required to get from point A to Point B can be accomplished while watching Netflix. Am I incorrect in assuming there's a bit more challenge to keeping your truck on the road?
Well, keeping the car on the road definitely requires more attention than supercruise in Elite. I'd even say you won't be able to watch Netflix while playing. At least I can't watch anything, but I do listen to music and audiobooks.
There are other cars, of course. Plus random events (car crashes, cars pulled over by cops, road work, detours, traffic jams,... Fortunately there is a slider in the options for that in case it becomes too frequent and annoying.
Plus there are other concerns you have to pay attention to. Your truck can break down if you're not repairing it, you have to plan your mandatory rest stops, especially on long hauls, you have to manage other people if you hire NPC drivers.
Some loads can be really difficult and require full attention. When you're transporting things like a ship turbine or a yacht that is twice as wide as your trailer, you really have to plan your moves and sometimes every inch matters.

But yes, despite all the above, the main thing about the ETS/ATS is that it's incredibly relaxing.

How immersive is the traveling/driving feature?

i.e. is sleeping an immersive feature? i.e. is it mandatory like limited by law to 10-12 hr driving time when doing OTR long distance trips? Especially when traveling between countries? Or is that a toggable feature that players typically ignore?

Also are you required to eat?
The driving part is pretty good. I play all these type of games, flying, driving etc with a mouse for steering, it's really responsive and very fluid, as is a wheel of course.
The sleep is not immersive as such, just park in the right place and press a button. The clock will tick forward the required amount, if it's early morning for instance you may find it turns from night to day and so on.
Eating is mandatory... well I always eat when I'm playing it... ;) (no there is no need to eat ingame).

Players can turn sleep function on/off. I play very long hauls, so don't always use the sleep function. There are some really nice long trips, especially if you use some of the mod maps. Although even with vanilla, you can get some long trips, these can take some gaming time to play/complete, few hours etc.

There are tolls along the way and border tolls here and there.
It's nice to use small roads and you have a choice of using some of the pull ins, more rough type ground to sleep/rest.
I would recommend a mod for truck speed/weight (for npc trucks), it makes different trucks with varying loads drive more realistically speed wise. Certainly this is shown on hills etc, they can slow down quite a lot. A physics mod for your truck is good too, gives a little more the older feel to a cab, more movement and so on i.e. feels weighty..

It is a relaxing game to a point, but so is driving for real, but you have to stay focused.

I enjoy it, one of those games you can play for a while, then leave and return to later and it still feels fresh.

Edit: Plus you can take external contracts, a sort of on-line delivery (not mp). Kind of chart of your deliveries, that can be shared/seen by other players.

Last edited:
Thank you! I'll wait for next major Steam sale this fall. Missed out on getting it during the Summer sale earlier. It was at a massive discount :)
I bet the fall sale will have it and all it's DLC discounted big time, and that's not too faraway. I think I'll pick it up, too, when that comes around.

The only issue I have with the ATS is that it's actually quite small. Compared the ETS 2 which by now has basically whole Europe, ATS is just a couple of West coast states. They're adding more, but rather slowly. I hope one day we will be able to to traverse all the way between the coasts, but it will take a decade at this rate.

The only issue I have with the ATS is that it's actually quite small. Compared the ETS 2 which by now has basically whole Europe, ATS is just a couple of West coast states. They're adding more, but rather slowly. I hope one day we will be able to to traverse all the way between the coasts, but it will take a decade at this rate.
Interesting point. I assumed the dlc would be crucial for the included states.

Being from the US it just makes more sense to drive in areas that I'm actually familiar with. Having never driven in Europe, sadly, it just doesn't hold the same interest for me.

Interesting point. I assumed the dlc would be crucial for the included states.

Being from the US it just makes more sense to drive in areas that I'm actually familiar with. Having never driven in Europe, sadly, it just doesn't hold the same interest for me.
Montana isn't there, just so you know. Which is a shame because it's my favourite state. (Never been in States, of course, just from the pictures. :) )

Montana isn't there, just so you know. Which is a shame because it's my favourite state. (Never been in States, of course, just from the pictures. :) )
Montana is stunning for sure and it's sad that it's not represented yet, but I have extensive driving experience pretty much in all the areas covered by the base game and dlc so I'm pretty excited to get this one.

Montana is stunning for sure and it's sad that it's not represented yet, but I have extensive driving experience pretty much in all the areas covered by the base game and dlc so I'm pretty excited to get this one.
Well, of the states that are there, I really like Nevada and Oregon, each for their own charm. California is kind of disappointing, but maybe it's because I foolishly set up my base in New Mexico, and so on most of the hauls I am simply transiting CA, which means mostly highways so I didn't really see much of it.

Well, of the states that are there, I really like Nevada and Oregon, each for their own charm. California is kind of disappointing, but maybe it's because I foolishly set up my base in New Mexico, and so on most of the hauls I am simply transiting CA, which means mostly highways so I didn't really see much of it.
If you started over where you put your HQ? Lol, I don't even understand what the HQ is or how it functions relevant to gameplay.

If you started over where you put your HQ? Lol, I don't even understand what the HQ is or how it functions relevant to gameplay.
It's your garage. Where you have your trucks and trailers. And hired drivers, eventually. Imagine Elite before ship transfer.
Later on you can buy more garages all over the place, but for a very long time you are stuck with one HQ. But when I'm richer, I'm probably going to move my base of operations to Oregon or California because they are kind of the middle of the "L" shaped playable area.

Last edited:
It's your garage. Where you have your trucks and trailers. And hired drivers, eventually. Imagine Elite before ship transfer.
Later on you can buy more garages all over the place, but for a very long time you are stuck with one HQ. But when I'm richer, I'm probably going to move my base of operations to Oregon or California because they are kind of the middle of the "L" shaped payable area.
How is map scale represented? I mean, how much real time does it take to drive a 100 miles for instance?

Never measured it, but I reckon it's something like 100 miles in five minutes. It's heavily scaled down, of course. You can cross the entire state in about 20 minutes. (Less if you floor it on the highway)
By and large, jobs take between ten minutes and half an hour (unless you're taking really long hauls, the jobs are usually betwen 200 and 800 miles). Plus of course there can be traffic, parking a difficult trailer (Heavy machinery fladbeds in particular can be a real PITA), etc.
So it's not that demanding when comes to your gaming time. Plus you can save anywhere on the route as well.

Of course you always have a lot of jobs to chose from, but for me, somewhere arounf 500-700 miles is the sweetspot between money earned and time spent on a job. Plus you can get money bonuses in other ways like transporting dangerous/overweight/fragile cargo, etc.

Last edited:
How is map scale represented? I mean, how much real time does it take to drive a 100 miles for instance?
No numbers here, and not quite what you're asking but iirc, in addition to the scale, there is a dynamic "time compression". Stopped at your garage in the city, the clock ticks every second. While cruising on the motorway, in-game time will flow faster (while not changing anything to your driving, it's not time compression as you're used to in sims, just the clock running faster). That means that while a long trip is still play-session short, it can take multiple days with rest in-game.

I think, not completely sure because its been a while.. But.. scale: 19-1 europe, 15-1 uk, 20-1 usa. However that scale may adjust on open runs, ie no towns (long roads), so not sure on those, could be quite large perhaps. But overall think 19 or 20-1 scale for ets2 and ats.
But don't hold me to those figures.. ;)

Edit: there are a few mod maps that are 1:1 scale. :)
Thinking it may have been over 30:1 ats and they rescaled it to 20:1

Last edited:
I wish they'd make the unloading yards a bit bigger...and I hate steerable trailers :D

Oh yeah, but let me tell you - The steerable trailers in ETS 2 were nothing in comparison to what they use in USA. :D
I hated them when I was playing ETS 2 but I was quite proud I was able to park anything, anywhere. Even if it sometimes took me a while. But now in ATS I just don't bother with the heavy trailers. They are virtually impossible to reverse steer. They don't have steerable axles but rather both their front and back wheel assemblies are on a separate swivel so it's really easy to lock them up and damage the trailer. Those couple of extra XP aren't worth the effort. :LOL:

So a special weekly sale promo for ETS is up on Steam again:

I'm sorely tempted to cash in on the steeply discounted $2.41 I'd get buying this bundle LoL. But besides the base game, the only DLC of true replay value for me are the Eastern and Scandinavian maps. The high powered cargo pack and accessories appear to be superfluous vanity items with no added functional value at best. Given the great number and variety of mods in the Steam Workshop, is it really necessary to get the cargo and dash accessories DLC?

Because I'd rather buy the base separately and put the money towards more replay content. Like several map DLC which is separate from this weekly discounted promo bundle:

I was hoping to for a single, map bundled package with the base game. But seems unlikely Steam would repackage them in one tidy DLC (most likel for profit making reasons). At least until the upcoming Black Friday or Christmas holiday seasons). So now I'm debating which of these map DLCs would be the best value to get with the Scandanavian and . For those truckers who've played these maps which is the better/more challenging of these maps
  • Italian
  • Eastern Slavic countries
  • Scandinavia <--how much more challenging is the winter/snow weather? do you need to buy special tires/snow/arctic equipment etc
  • Black Sea
  • Beyond Baltic
  • France
And again given a good amount of freebie content in the Steam workshop, is it really worth getting official DLC vanity items like paint jobs, wheel tuning packages, window dressing, customized trailers etc? Especially when bundles like the Cargo package offers 3 different types of cargo hauling i.e. the special transport, heavy cargo and high power cargo?

Or should I discipline myself and wait for a whale Black Friday sale where all the DLC are offered in one convenient, nice tidy discount with the base game? Has Steam ever done a special discount like that like they've done for Tropico etc?

Most of the extra cosmetic content is only worth it if you're amused by the content and feel like throwing them a bit of cash every now and then. Some paint job packs have magnificent skins, some (country ones) range from abysmal to pure cringe. The cargo pack is different however as they add new trailers, some wider/heavier loads, some of them to destinations where you don't usually go, etc. I really like them. I think it's the Heavy Cargo pack that comes with the extra contract type with serious extra-wide heavy stuff that you get to drive as part of a convoy, with cars leading and following, and where you'll end up stuck on the first ramp if you take the job with an underpowered truck. :D

Considering how cheap the various cosmetic packs are and that they routinely go on sale, I tend to pick one every now and then from the wallet money I slowly accumulate from selling the Steam trading cards (still at a loss to understand why people would actually spend money on them, but ah, not my problem).

Also for anyone new to the game, if/when you create a World of Trucks account and link your Steam account to it, you get a free cosmetic pack (chrome paints iirc). WoT is the game's portal to track your stats and give you access to an extra job panel, and these jobs are tracked and can be displayed in a public profile, etc. Your standard low-level social stuff. You'll want one if you intend to take part in the events they run every now and then for football world cup, xmas, etc, and where fulfilling a number of WoT jobs gets you an event-themed paint or cabin accessory.

On snow, because I'm a sucker for that, it's not included in-game, so Scandinavia doesn't include any winter driving. Thankfully, there are mods doing just that: some mods do the cosmetic change, some mods add the winter physics, with different levels of snow/ice simulated. This one is my personal recommendation: https://grimesmods.wordpress.com/2017/05/18/frosty-winter-weather-mod/

Last edited:
Top Bottom