Elite Man's Sky would be the greatest game ever

I still haven't checked out NMS.. I keep thinking about it but then I look at the cartoon animals and the over the top contrast and colours that it puts me off. I'm really tempted though to give it a try.

After having played ED so much lately, the thing that stands out most about NMS to me is that everything feels easy. Reaching orbit from a planet surface takes seconds.
Yep. That's one of the few things NMS does better when it comes to flying your ship. Allot better.

Elite's planetary flight is kinda.. boring. Sorry to say.
The FSD mechanics is to blame for that. If only the FSD had just increased our regular speed instead, it would have been allot more fun.

Always liked the idea of the two games coming together.

The development of NMS given it's small team has been immense. I'm looking forward to the next generation of such games.

I like both games but if I had to choose one thing from NMS to implement in ED then it would be the Carriers.
The Carriers in NMS are a lot of fun where you can build the interior to your liking, go to the bridge, look outside and plot your jumps, send out support frigates on missions, etc.
The only downside of the NMS carrier is that you can only store six ships, the maximum number of ships you can have in NMS.

Somehow ED always draws me back in though, due to the more realistic approach and look of the game.
NMS doesn't have a deep lore like ED either where you can dig into.
Events like "Turning the Wheel" are unthinkable in NMS.

Having played a bucket load of both games I'm always taken by the merits of both. However they are very different games and imho not really comparable.

That said, I would love for FDev to have flora-and-fauna-rich atmospheric planets. And base building. And maybe the Gek too... they make me laugh.

NMS has dipped its toes into cross play. That seems to be something people thought was so easy (hint: it is not) and should be in every game.
They don't seem to be afraid to do some experimenting.

My love for ED has led me to try some other space exploration games recently, and among them, No Man's Sky is by far my favorite. I'm know I'm not the first to suggest that a pairing of EDs realistic physics, flight model and graphics quality with NMSs crafting, procedural world generation and overall "fun" factor would be the greatest thing ever. You'd probably need a Cray Supercomputer to run it, but man would it be fun.

I've been really impressed by NMSs planets. Probably that wonder will wear off after visiting my 100th similar procedurally generated planet, but at least early on it's very cool. And the crafting and base building are awesome. On the flip side, the lack of any pretense of plausible physics seems silly and arcade-y. The planets in a system are grouped right on top of one another and don't appear to actually orbit the star. The flight model would feel right at home in a Super Mario game.

The irony is that my love of ED led me to seek out similar games. I found NMS and discovered that, while I like it, too, it and ED are almost exact opposites. The things each does well are the other's weaknesses. That fact will probably lead me to playing both regularly, scratching both itches and helping to prevent things from getting stale. But not going to lie, I can't help but imagine how spectacular a combination a Hello FDev Games "No Man's Dangerous" would be. I'd probably have to quit my job.
No Man's Dangerous lol

Elite can do it. The only part we're missing is atmosphere landing. We get to land in thin atmo in the next update, but still not on Earth Like Worlds, or world's with otherwise thick atmo. Eventually. Base building is, I think, being kicked around, if I'm not mistaken. I mean the galaxy is big enough for it and carriers would be key to moving all the mats necessary.

My mega mix is :-
X4s ecconomy, No mans skys size, Star Citizens space legs, Elites flight mechanics, Eves player driven content.

1: Production based economy, that means if a faction or player wants a ship all the parts needed, must be produced from the raw materials up.
2: ~ 18 quintillion planets available for discovery, in 255 galaxies.
3: The ability to walk in or on the ships, planets and stations.
4: Best FA-OFF flight system ever.
5. What Player managed factions and Powerplay should be in elite.
And the icing on the cake would be that, its all in open and Dead is Dead.

Probably that wonder will wear off after visiting my 100th similar procedurally generated planet
Yup, after a while pretty much every planet looks the same, as well as every creature and plant, regardless which part of the universe.
Often there's duplicates, if you're lucky you run into a diplo here and there, but that wears off as well.

If elite ever goes in that direction, I hope it's a rarity and not every single planet like in nms, it defeats the purpose of exploration.
Obviously if fdev does make flora and fauna, hopefully it will look and behave a million times better.

I still haven't checked out NMS.. I keep thinking about it but then I look at the cartoon animals and the over the top contrast and colours that it puts me off. I'm really tempted though to give it a try.
Tried it, and try it again from time to time, but just can't get into it.

X4 Foundations scratches my SP game itch more effectively.

Top Bottom