Elite Man's Sky would be the greatest game ever

Have fun wanting that from elite forever.

For all the arguments for wanting "real" that elite provides over the "cartoon" that NMS provides, those people seem to be really cool with overlooking all of the non-real aspects of the "real" planets and systems that elite has simulated. So switch the graphic palette on nms and shaders to make it less artsy ..now what's the argument? The planets dont have stats you can view that would let you know if the rain you're seeing is possible on it? So get rid of the stats. They're not integral to the game in any way anyway. As long as you leave the things you can observe to be something that "could" exist ..you're golden and well within the realm of elite realism.

Letting the reality simulator hold back the game is stupid. If your reality simulator isn't good enough to create an engaging reality without ending up being verifiably fake, then dont report on the reality aspect to a point where what players have to fill in on their own can fit the things they're seeing. The alternative of having an inconceivably boring reality and extremely limited gameplay is not worth the loss.
I don't like the look of NMS planets and I don't want them in the game. If thats what happens, that will be when I stop playing. If I wanted to play NMS, I can go and play it now.

As to fun, I have plenty of fun playing ED as it is now.

As to waiting for better planets, yup I can see it in a few years time. And I will have fun waiting as I will be playing a game I enjoy playing.

I don't like the look of NMS planets and I don't want them in the game. If thats what happens, that will be when I stop playing. If I wanted to play NMS, I can go and play it now.
how they look is a matter of artistic shading and color palette. it's not indicative of the makeup (caves, oceans, terrain, etc) and content and variability of planets, their weather systems and density of interactive content on them. That's what people want. Color them all beige in elite if that's what will make players happy, what's important that people like from NMS is that the planets exist with things on them ..both alive and not. Nobody is suggesting that elite adopt the artistic direction of nms.

As to fun, I have plenty of fun playing ED as it is now.

As to waiting for better planets, yup I can see it in a few years time. And I will have fun waiting as I will be playing a game I enjoy playing.
There's always someone who has fun doing the most mundane things. The fun I was referencing was waiting for elite to be feature parity with NMS planets as they existed years ago when NMS launched. You'll be dead before that happens.

Obviously if everyone was happy with the current game, there would be no incentive to add anything since everyone would be playing it as is and it's not like this is a passion project ...and it hasn't been since shortly after it was launched.

NMS planets, while interesting in their own way are still the planet of one biome. I'd expect better in Elite, but it is difficult so will at least be happy with better graphic version of planets of one biome. Friend likes to call them planet of hats, but I think that has to do with the people who live on the planet all being the same rather than all the environment being the same.

I'd be happy with something (ship names etc) in elite referencing non-earth centric things considering the time it has been since the overwhelming majority of humans even stepped foot on earth, much less experienced its wildlife.

Think of how much names of things have changed in hundreds of years while on earth and how even animals and plants have been altered in that time physically...now separate those specimens by entire planets, totally new environments. It makes no sense manufacturers of other worlds would reference products based on Earth animals and not their own local ones. Even if they had no local life (not really possible on earth likes), after hundreds of years in a totally new environment, they would have become unique and something recognizable to the people the manufacturer started from.

Everyone likes to talk about elite realism, but it's not realistic except in the most boring ways. Everyone is fine ignoring the unrealistic stuff it has that makes as much sense as NMS's pink grass and multicolored space backgrounds.

how they look is a matter of artistic shading and color palette. it's not indicative of the makeup (caves, oceans, terrain, etc) and content and variability of planets, their weather systems and density of interactive content on them. That's what people want. Color them all beige in elite if that's what will make players happy, what's important that people like from NMS is that the planets exist with things on them ..both alive and not. Nobody is suggesting that elite adopt the artistic direction of nms.
Possibly. I find the gameplay on NMS planets to be an utter bore fest. I would prefer something a lot different.

There's always someone who has fun doing the most mundane things. The fun I was referencing was waiting for elite to be feature parity with NMS planets as they existed years ago when NMS launched. You'll be dead before that happens.
Who says what I'm doing is mundane? Surely whether its mundane or not is purely subjective. What you find fun and engaging, I may find boring, dull and mundane.

Obviously if everyone was happy with the current game, there would be no incentive to add anything since everyone would be playing it as is and it's not like this is a passion project ...and it hasn't been since shortly after it was launched.
That's not how it works. I could happily play for a long time with what we have now, but would always like there to be more game to play. Thats a very black and white way of seeing things and the world and people, even the ones that view the world in black and white, is not black and white.

As to whether its a passion project or not, I don't really know. I see no evidence of either as I would have to work in the office to know, as would you.

Who says what I'm doing is mundane? Surely whether its mundane or not is purely subjective. What you find fun and engaging, I may find boring, dull and mundane.
Standard fare for the disillusioned. I enjoyed a very civil debate along the same grounds recently. Where the disillusioned continually told me everything I was doing was a grind, which was curious as at no time did I ever indicate I thought the game other than enjoyable in my choice of activities :)

So, by that reasoning, of course what you are doing is mundane as the person telling you so considers it to be so - it doesn't matter what you think... If you can see where I'm going ;)

True, mundane is subjective but only in the extreme. Like a fighter pilot may find flying mundane, but very few people people know how to fly. While driving is mundane and those who dont find it mundane can be seen as deficient. If you have to use your brain and really think to do the things on elite's planets (or basically anywhere else) then you have problems. They're not complicated tasks ...nor engaging.

That's not how it works. I could happily play for a long time with what we have now, but would always like there to be more game to play. Thats a very black and white way of seeing things and the world and people, even the ones that view the world in black and white, is not black and white.
It is how it works. If you're wanting more, it's because what you have is not filling a need. Why is it not filling a need? If you're happy with what you have then you have no need of anything else. You're not happy with how the game is, you're just not describing yourself that way. You're ok for settling for what it is. Appeased at best.

As to whether its a passion project or not, I don't really know. I see no evidence of either as I would have to work in the office to know, as would you.
No you dont need to work inside their office, be an employee and experience their life to know if it's a passion project or not. You can just observe the game's history to see the gradual decline of enthusiasm from the top down. The decline in development ...the decline in content. The decline in quality/scope of new content and the developmental direction the game has been taking with the priorities associated with them.

A passion project doesn't settle for place holders. It doesn't settle for minimally viable shippable product. it doesn't alter gameplay to shift it for better monetary gains at the expense of the original vision of that gameplay (cough*income inflation*cough).

A passion projects gets you emotionally attached to what you're working on ....when was the last time Fdev defended the features they've added and the state of the game? No.

True, mundane is subjective but only in the extreme. Like a fighter pilot may find flying mundane, but very few people people know how to fly. While driving is mundane and those who dont find it mundane can be seen as deficient. If you have to use your brain and really think to do the things on elite's planets (or basically anywhere else) then you have problems. They're not complicated tasks ...nor engaging.
I never said it was complicated. Whether it's engaging or not is subjective though.

It is how it works. If you're wanting more, it's because what you have is not filling a need. Why is it not filling a need? If you're happy with what you have then you have no need of anything else. You're not happy with how the game is, you're just not describing yourself that way. You're ok for settling for what it is. Appeased at best.
No, that's not how it works. What a simplistic way to view the world.

I'm very happy with the way the game is, but I could be happier.

Please don't presume to know how I feel. You don't, unless I tell you.

No you dont need to work inside their office, be an employee and experience their life to know if it's a passion project or not. You can just observe the game's history to see the gradual decline of enthusiasm from the top down. The decline in development ...the decline in content. The decline in quality/scope of new content and the developmental direction the game has been taking with the priorities associated with them.
What decline in development? What decline in enthusiasm? What decline in content? What decline in quality or scope. Sorry, but I'm not seeing any of that.

A passion project doesn't settle for place holders. It doesn't settle for minimally viable shippable product. it doesn't alter gameplay to shift it for better monetary gains at the expense of the original vision of that gameplay (cough*income inflation*cough).
What MVP. Haven't seen any in the game since it launched.

Ahhh credits. How people play is up to them. If credits is all they play for, good for them if it makes them happy.

Personally I think they should be harder to get, but others feel differently. Again it's subjective.

A passion projects gets you emotionally attached to what you're working on ....when was the last time Fdev defended the features they've added and the state of the game? No.
They don't need to defend it, the features or the state of the game. Seems to be in a pretty good place. Yup there are a few bugs, but all modern games have them.

When it comes to NMS, I find nothing complex about it, I find nothing engaging about it, I find it to be an utter borefest, that is why I don't want NMS stuff in the game. Hopefully what FDev add in is more toy tastes.

For me Elite is more like a real life film and NMS is more cartoon. When you mix those two up, you get Bedknobs and Broomsticks. So it is a no from me.

No, I won't accept any 'What about Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" appeals. That was also dreadful. Case dismissed.
'Cool World' says you're wrong, and as for 'Space Jam'...

There's only one rational combination out of this.. no mans sky the game using the stylistic choices of elite.

Yep i'll take that.

If you only imagine that scenario, its the same game as elite dangerous now just with all the features fully baked. No mans sky doesn't do anything out of scope of elite dangerous with gameplay / features, and quite alot is identical to elite where it overlaps.

Last edited:
There's only one rational combination out of this.. no mans sky the game using the stylistic choices of elite.
God no. Awful flight mechanics, dreadful fake solar systems, boring gameplay, tiny planets, copy paste building on virtually every planet. The issue with NMS is that 99% of the gameplay is set on planets, and the planetary gameplay is pants in my view.

Also it would take much longer to develop. How long do you think it takes to create one of the simplistic ships in NMS compared to any one of the ships in ED.

Yep i'll take that.
I wouldn't.

If you only imagine that scenario, its the same game as elite dangerous now just with all the features fully baked. No mans sky doesn't do anything out of scope of elite dangerous with gameplay / features, and quite alot is identical to elite where it overlaps.
Not, it really is not.

On the plus side, No Man's Sky finally answers the urgent question of what space exploration would look like from the perspective of Jerry Garcia.

Last edited:
Top Bottom