Elite Man's Sky would be the greatest game ever

My love for ED has led me to try some other space exploration games recently, and among them, No Man's Sky is by far my favorite. I'm know I'm not the first to suggest that a pairing of EDs realistic physics, flight model and graphics quality with NMSs crafting, procedural world generation and overall "fun" factor would be the greatest thing ever. You'd probably need a Cray Supercomputer to run it, but man would it be fun.

I've been really impressed by NMSs planets. Probably that wonder will wear off after visiting my 100th similar procedurally generated planet, but at least early on it's very cool. And the crafting and base building are awesome. On the flip side, the lack of any pretense of plausible physics seems silly and arcade-y. The planets in a system are grouped right on top of one another and don't appear to actually orbit the star. The flight model would feel right at home in a Super Mario game.

The irony is that my love of ED led me to seek out similar games. I found NMS and discovered that, while I like it, too, it and ED are almost exact opposites. The things each does well are the other's weaknesses. That fact will probably lead me to playing both regularly, scratching both itches and helping to prevent things from getting stale. But not going to lie, I can't help but imagine how spectacular a combination a Hello FDev Games "No Man's Dangerous" would be. I'd probably have to quit my job.

I think we all can find parts of different games great and think "that would be a nice feature in game X" but, in my opinion this would take the originality away from each game.
I also love playing Elite and would like to follow Frontier's development of thier game (even with the gripes).
As an example, I played an alpha zombie survival game (4700hrs) until they started introducing an ARK style experience grind, this was the day it lost it's appeal and originality. Have not touched the game since.
In a potite way I am saying leave ED as it is and keep it's Development to that Frontier has planned.

I heard NMS is very grind-heavy and has unskippable tutorial.
It was extremely grindy - then HG had the wonderful idea of increasing storage massively - oddly, this made things much less 'hard' to do as you didn't have to keep emptying your ship or suit to get XX number of material Y.

The tutorial is pretty short and potentially useful, but annoying.

They do have some amazing landscapes, not 'realistic' particularly, but certainly interesting! (Mandatory Screenie follows)
20200420180754_1.jpg

One of my bases, I quite like this planet :)
(Ignore the tower, I'm not compensating...)

It was extremely grindy - then HG had the wonderful idea of increasing storage massively - oddly, this made things much less 'hard' to do as you didn't have to keep emptying your ship or suit to get XX number of material Y.

They do have some amazing landscapes, not 'realistic' particularly, but certainly interesting! (Mandatory Screenie follows)
View attachment 180508
It's selling point for me was the language mechanic where you unlock its meaning over time. But I didn't want to play inventory slot manager so I never bought in.

For me Elite is more like a real life film and NMS is more cartoon. When you mix those two up, you get Bedknobs and Broomsticks. So it is a no from me.

No, I won't accept any 'What about Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" appeals. That was also dreadful. Case dismissed.

For me Elite is more like a real life film and NMS is more cartoon. When you mix those two up, you get Bedknobs and Broomsticks. So it is a no from me.

No, I won't accept any 'What about Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" appeals. That was also dreadful. Case dismissed.
I think the PG for planets, flora & fauna in NMS is 'interesting' (not realistic) and if Frontier could succeed with realistic PG for the same then planetary activities would be amazing.

I play both on their own merits, but adding the best of one to the best of the other I don't think would create a 'great' game, although it may be 'interesting' ;)

I think the PG for planets, flora & fauna in NMS is 'interesting' (not realistic) and if Frontier could succeed with realistic PG for the same then planetary activities would be amazing.

I play both on their own merits, but adding the best of one to the best of the other I don't think would create a 'great' game, although it may be 'interesting' ;)
I did play it, before the base building update admittedly, I just got tired of it and its looks.

In a potite way I am saying leave ED as it is and keep it's Development to that Frontier has planned.
I echo this sentiment.

Sometimes Frontier's approach frustrates me. Sometimes I have absolutely no idea what they're doing, or why they're missing what seem to be the most obvious opportunities. But I, too, would rather leave the development of the game to Frontier's plan. Whatever that may be.

My love for ED has led me to try some other space exploration games recently, and among them, No Man's Sky is by far my favorite. I'm know I'm not the first to suggest that a pairing of EDs realistic physics, flight model and graphics quality with NMSs crafting, procedural world generation and overall "fun" factor would be the greatest thing ever. You'd probably need a Cray Supercomputer to run it, but man would it be fun.

I've been really impressed by NMSs planets. Probably that wonder will wear off after visiting my 100th similar procedurally generated planet, but at least early on it's very cool. And the crafting and base building are awesome. On the flip side, the lack of any pretense of plausible physics seems silly and arcade-y. The planets in a system are grouped right on top of one another and don't appear to actually orbit the star. The flight model would feel right at home in a Super Mario game.

The irony is that my love of ED led me to seek out similar games. I found NMS and discovered that, while I like it, too, it and ED are almost exact opposites. The things each does well are the other's weaknesses. That fact will probably lead me to playing both regularly, scratching both itches and helping to prevent things from getting stale. But not going to lie, I can't help but imagine how spectacular a combination a Hello FDev Games "No Man's Dangerous" would be. I'd probably have to quit my job.
Yep; connect all of what makes NMS really great to what brings us to ED in spite of its medieval ages restrictions and anti-player agency and to Eve Online's rich inter-player economy ...then yes...more than you will be quitting their "job" p

After having played ED so much lately, the thing that stands out most about NMS to me is that everything feels easy. Reaching orbit from a planet surface takes seconds. Traveling from one planet to another takes seconds. Traveling to another system takes... a few more seconds. It is definitely grindy but easy-grindy, if that's a thing. I need 100 units of Widget X. Oh look! Here's a deposit of 750 of them a kilometer away!

But the NMS worlds feel lived-in. The game world has "soul", if you get my meaning. The biological and geological diversity is refreshing. ED sometimes feels like a fancy GUI for Microsoft Excel. In EDs universe of trillions of people, the only ones you see are pilots and mostly they just want to steal your tasty cargo.

On a side note, I'd definitely not want to 1v1 my starting NMS ship against my Fer De Lance...

NMS has the best atmospheric planets with flora and fauna. That is what it has going for it IMO.
The universe seems so empty though. As i explore, I think of what I am looking for. There is nothing. there is nothing so stupendous to find that every other player would stop what they are doing and come to see what is there. That is its downfall to me. I am a nomad. no home. no point to my journey.
If the ED update gives me planets that look like NMS I will be pleased.

View attachment 180508
That's not a tower. :p

I'll see if I can get a screenshot of my tower base this weekend. It is as high as the mountain I built it next to (and made out of wood panels). Hopefully it hasn't fallen down... It's a while since I've visited!

Oh... And keep E: D and NMS completely separate. They're both great games. But I don't want a horrible hybrid.

NMS has the best atmospheric planets with flora and fauna. That is what it has going for it IMO.
The universe seems so empty though. As i explore, I think of what I am looking for. There is nothing. there is nothing so stupendous to find that every other player would stop what they are doing and come to see what is there. That is its downfall to me. I am a nomad. no home. no point to my journey.
I would want something somewhat better then NMS planets.

If they look even remotely like NMS, I will be overjoyed. It would just be fantastic to see some life breathed into the otherwise incredible and expansive ED universe. I want to some see something ALIVE, something MOVING, something that appears to have an agenda of its own -- besides Thargoids and other CMDRs sitting in their cockpits.

I would want something somewhat better then NMS planets.
Have fun wanting that from elite forever.

For all the arguments for wanting "real" that elite provides over the "cartoon" that NMS provides, those people seem to be really cool with overlooking all of the non-real aspects of the "real" planets and systems that elite has simulated. So switch the graphic palette on nms and shaders to make it less artsy ..now what's the argument? The planets dont have stats you can view that would let you know if the rain you're seeing is possible on it? So get rid of the stats. They're not integral to the game in any way anyway. As long as you leave the things you can observe to be something that "could" exist ..you're golden and well within the realm of elite realism.

Letting the reality simulator hold back the game is stupid. If your reality simulator isn't good enough to create an engaging reality without ending up being verifiably fake, then dont report on the reality aspect to a point where what players have to fill in on their own can fit the things they're seeing. The alternative of having an inconceivably boring reality and extremely limited gameplay is not worth the loss.

Top Bottom