Elite Dangerous: Odyssey | The Road To Odyssey Part 2 - Forging Your Path

:unsure: You know, after some thought, I think the only way for atmospheric weather to truly have an affect on flight gameplay beyond some turbulence and keeping the ship under control and on the correct path in high cross wind conditions (like they are attempting to do in Star Citizen) is if they extend fuel loss beyond only hyperspace jumps, where you also loose fuel in super cruise and normal flight, as well as make the flights weight a bigger factor. Basically, they'd have to make the game more realistic for it to be a significant addition to gameplay. I used to be a Flight Dispatcher, and from experience generating flight plans, the lower you fly, the more fuel gets burned. This is why if something goes wrong and the flight has to descend from, say, its planned 30,000 feet to 15,000 feet, the entire flight basically has to be recalculated to make sure he still has enough fuel to get his destination. I'm sure this also has to do with gravity, but winds aloft and temperature most certainly does as well.

The higher the tail wind, the faster the plane goes. Its perfectly fine during the enroute phase of the flight, the more tail wind the better. But as you can imagine, this is certainly not what you want during takeoff and landing, because even a 2 or 3 knot tailwind can drastically increase the planes maximum allowed weight for takeoff and landing, and you'll end up delaying or canceling the flight entirely because its no longer safe. As for temperature...well, generally, the colder the better, because the hotter it gets, the less dense the air, which means the engines have to work harder to gain altitude, and even to slow the plane down for landing, which means, yet again, that your weight will have to be even lower to keep it within the planes max structural limits. We kind of see this in games like Frontier: Pilot Simulator to a certain degree, and we'd have to see it in Odyssey for these thin atmospheres to really matter.
Personally I don't want ED to go down the extreme SIM route. Also the ships in ED seem to be able to take huge amounts of punishment.

@michalfoc
Where I said or wrotted someone payd for thing before you get something?
Man where in the world you get someething for free before job is done? If we speaking about such a thing this is called closed alpha/beta.
At the end... dude callm down you just pi**ed off like a kid who didn't get a candy... I'm not obligate to ready whole forum, this place is for free speaking and I can write about mine concerns.

Last edited:
@michalfoc
Where I said or wrotted someone payd for thing before you get something?
Man where in the world you get someething for free before job is done? If we speaking about such a thing this ils called closed alpha/beta.
At the end... dude callm down you just ed off like a kid who didn't get a candy... I'm not obligate to ready whole forum, this place is for free speaking and I can write about mine concerns.
Soooo... what You are saying is that You want devs to send You a personal email with every little detail of what they are doing regularly because You A. don't have to, B. can't be bothered to read up C. can't use search option? the information You imply that is not GIVEN TO YOU ON A SILVER PLATTER is actually FREELY available on the forum. Don't blame everybody else if You are lazy enough not to look it up because 'You are not obliged to'. Devs are not obliged to keep You updated on anything either. Now go and think about what to reply so that You can still make it look like YOU are the victim of the horrible Frontier... sigh

Sorry Man I will not feed troll anymore. I think you cant talk on basic level which is calm... You are frustrator nothing more nothing less

Sorry Man I will not feed troll anymore. I think you cant talk on basic level which is calm... You are frustrator nothing more nothing less
From where I'm sitting it looked like it was Yourself who could not contain Your rage about devs updates about Odyssey... unless I am going a bit crazy and it was me who was crying about it... damn drugs

Personally I don't want ED to go down the extreme SIM route. Also the ships in ED seem to be able to take huge amounts of punishment.

:unsure: But is that huge amount of damage for gameplay reasons, or is that canon? And when you say "huge", how huge are we talking about if I can still take you out with good old 21st century projectile weaponry relatively quickly?

:unsure: But is that huge amount of damage for gameplay reasons, or is that canon? And when you say "huge", how huge are we talking about if I can still take you out with good old 21st century projectile weaponry relatively quickly?
What's the difference between gameplay reasons and canon?

Also I doubt that the projectile weapons on the ED ships are anything like what we have today.

🤷‍♂️I mean, there often is a difference between canon and gameplay. And if the projectile weapons are different, we didn't get the memo.
The fact that's it's hundreds of years 🤣 not the future kind of tells me they ar enot the same. And gameplay has to be canon in a game. How can the gameplay not be canon?

The fact that's it's hundreds of years 🤣 not the future kind of tells me they ar enot the same. And gameplay has to be canon in a game. How can the gameplay not be canon?

Well, its been almost 200 years since the first combustion engine was made, yet at a fundamental level, nothing about the way it works has really changed at all. Centuries going by doesn't mean anything in of itself. We're just conditioned to believe it does mainly because of all the science fiction we've consumed.

:unsure: You know, after some thought, I think the only way for atmospheric weather to truly have an affect on flight gameplay beyond some turbulence and keeping the ship under control and on the correct path in high cross wind conditions (like they are attempting to do in Star Citizen) is if they extend fuel loss beyond only hyperspace jumps, where you also loose fuel in super cruise and normal flight, as well as make the flights weight a bigger factor. Basically, they'd have to make the game more realistic for it to be a significant addition to gameplay. I used to be a Flight Dispatcher, and from experience generating flight plans, the lower you fly, the more fuel gets burned. This is why if something goes wrong and the flight has to descend from, say, its planned 30,000 feet to 15,000 feet, the entire flight basically has to be recalculated to make sure he still has enough fuel to get his destination. I'm sure this also has to do with gravity, but winds aloft and temperature most certainly does as well.

The higher the tail wind, the faster the plane goes. Its perfectly fine during the enroute phase of the flight, the more tail wind the better. But as you can imagine, this is certainly not what you want during takeoff and landing, because even a 2 or 3 knot tailwind can drastically increase the planes maximum allowed weight for takeoff and landing, and you'll end up delaying or canceling the flight entirely because its no longer safe. As for temperature...well, generally, the colder the better, because the hotter it gets, the less dense the air, which means the engines have to work harder to gain altitude, and even to slow the plane down for landing, which means, yet again, that your weight will have to be even lower to keep it within the planes max structural limits. We kind of see this in games like Frontier: Pilot Simulator to a certain degree, and we'd have to see it in Odyssey for these thin atmospheres to really matter.

🤷‍♂️ Meh, not really necessary unless the game will include a rather extensive, and realistic flight planning system, beyond even what you've seen in any commercial flight simulator, MS Flight Sim 2020 included.

FA off only then :oops:

FA off only then :oops:

:unsure: Yeah, how the plane will fly with FA off vs on is probably the route they plan on taking with the flight model for thin atmospheric planets. Maybe there might be some winds aloft to account for and landing may become a bit more challenging because of it, like in Frontier: Pilot Simulator, but I'm not expecting much more realism than that. Because, you know, like I said, even MS Flight Sim 2020 doesn't really take this stuff as far as it should, with it being a so called "flight simulator". They call it that yet it doesn't even have things like runway analysis for petes sake, something that is required to do before every flight, such as the one's shown below for instance. :rolleyes: What all those nerds don't realize, is that there is a LOT more that goes into planning a flight than what they see in these commercial "flight sims". You screw this up, and you can end up endangering the safety of the flight. and the FAA will be ready to crack some skulls wide open.

1607550454262.png

1607550496574.png

Well, its been almost 200 years since the first combustion engine was made, yet at a fundamental level, nothing about the way it works has really changed at all. Centuries going by doesn't mean anything in of itself. We're just conditioned to believe it does mainly because of all the science fiction we've consumed.
So that explains why the srv looks like perseverance? Except perseverance can be communicated with a farther distance. I wonder what cellular plan they're rolling with?

Top Bottom