ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey | The Road to Odyssey - Mission Playthrough

I was happy to see one thing above all else in the preview a d I hope it stays or I will lose my mind ...
Anti-collision light on your ship...for the love of all things aviation related at all.... thank you.
Also I saw a side by side of the planet currently and in the expansion. The improvement in visuals is enough for me FPS or not

I doubt this is a feature. The alpha looks like its struggling
:( Yeah, its not looking all that great really. That gameplay reveal they showed recently was about as underwhelming as anything else they've shown so far. And correct me if I'm wrong, but at this point in the games development, we should be talking BETA, not Alpha or pre-alpha.

so "infiltrating" and empty, absolutely lifeless settlement, with watch drones flying over your head apparently oblivious of your presence, then using an assortment of overdesigned and pointless gimmicks to solve the puzzle of the day, then walk out through a braindead collection of zombi bullet sponges ... that's it? not even in a premade demo movie it gets anywhere near exciting ...

i mean, as a hardcore fan i'll be ok with the new planets (they do look nice), but as a fps this is so pathetic that now i'm even concerned that the franchise survives at all if they dare to release this crap. it's going to be a real arxestorm. frontier you are still in time to call this off.
Agree, 100%. What hurts me the most is that pile of zombie-like NPCs.

Agree, 100%. What hurts me the most is that pile of zombie-like NPCs.

Which were low level NPCs if you'd noticed (not much different to taking on harmless NPCs in ships), and the Devs stated in the livestream that they scale with mission difficulty.

:( Yeah, its not looking all that great really. That gameplay reveal they showed recently was about as underwhelming as anything else they've shown so far. And correct me if I'm wrong, but at this point in the games development, we should be talking BETA, not Alpha or pre-alpha.

And the Devs clearly stated in the livestream they were playing on a previous pre-alpha build to the one currently being worked on (if I recall there was mention of various iterations of builds). What we get on 29 Mar will be a more advanced state, albeit still with work to be done (maybe a LOT of work), being alpha. Why should we be talking beta at this point? I hardly think that the typical development cycle or timeline is locked in stone - it is up to FDEV and no-one else whether they want to consider what we test is an alpha. When the game initially released we even had a gamma phase before release. For all we know, given the time left before release, we may not even see a beta, but perhaps go from an advanced alpha state (assuming the alpha will still be phased as originally proposed) to release. Just depends on what needs to be fixed (or can be fixed within the remaining timeframe before release). And it's not like we'll suddenly see improvements cease on release. But of course, the naysayers will always focus on the negatives.

Don't get me wrong, the gameplay showed there's still a lot to be worked on, but being a pre-alpha version it was always going to be rough in places. And clearly the CM team were hamming it up in terms of the comms, unnecessary attempts at stealth when entering the base etc, for effect. Whether it was underwhelming is subjective, and based on what you were expecting. If you were expecting Battlefield, COD, Division 2 or something akin to these, more fool you - this was never going to be on par with first rate FPS or 3rd person shooters. On the other hand, if one's expectations are tempered with the knowledge that this merely adds a new dimension in terms of gameplay, on a game focused on ship gameplay and mechanics, then it becomes a tad more promising. While I would love it to be a Div 2 cover-based gameplay, I'm not particularly disappointed that it's not. And I'm even more stoked there doesn't appear to be, thus far, signs of stupid invisibility and crowd control mechanics....

Not everyone is going to, nor needs to, agree with FDEV's implementation of on-foot gameplay, but that's really no different to the Elite: Dangerous we have now - it's not to everyone's taste. If one doesn't like what FDEV are doing, it's a pretty simple solution - don't buy it or play it.

I'm curious why he just took down the guards Sheilds then moved on to the next target. I assume it has something to do with the guy spazzing out on the stairs. I've noticed all their gameplay videos have conveniently avoided death animations...

Or an attempt to avoid the bounty that results from murder. No doubt, racking up those bounties would eat into the payment for the mission.

And the Devs clearly stated in the livestream they were playing on a previous pre-alpha build to the one currently being worked on (if I recall there was mention of various iterations of builds). What we get on 29 Mar will be a more advanced state, albeit still with work to be done (maybe a LOT of work), being alpha. Why should we be talking beta at this point? I hardly think that the typical development cycle or timeline is locked in stone - it is up to FDEV and no-one else whether they want to consider what we test is an alpha. When the game initially released we even had a gamma phase before release. For all we know, given the time left before release, we may not even see a beta, but perhaps go from an advanced alpha state (assuming the alpha will still be phased as originally proposed) to release. Just depends on what needs to be fixed (or can be fixed within the remaining timeframe before release). And it's not like we'll suddenly see improvements cease on release. But of course, the naysayers will always focus on the negatives.

Don't get me wrong, the gameplay showed there's still a lot to be worked on, but being a pre-alpha version it was always going to be rough in places. And clearly the CM team were hamming it up in terms of the comms, unnecessary attempts at stealth when entering the base etc, for effect. Whether it was underwhelming is subjective, and based on what you were expecting. If you were expecting Battlefield, COD, Division 2 or something akin to these, more fool you - this was never going to be on par with first rate FPS or 3rd person shooters. On the other hand, if one's expectations are tempered with the knowledge that this merely adds a new dimension in terms of gameplay, on a game focused on ship gameplay and mechanics, then it becomes a tad more promising. While I would love it to be a Div 2 cover-based gameplay, I'm not particularly disappointed that it's not. And I'm even more stoked there doesn't appear to be, thus far, signs of stupid invisibility and crowd control mechanics....

Not everyone is going to, nor needs to, agree with FDEV's implementation of on-foot gameplay, but that's really no different to the Elite: Dangerous we have now - it's not to everyone's taste. If one doesn't like what FDEV are doing, it's a pretty simple solution - don't buy it or play it.
This. ---^

Which were low level NPCs if you'd noticed (not much different to taking on harmless NPCs in ships), and the Devs stated in the livestream that they scale with mission difficulty.
If you were to make a showcase mission video. Would you not show off the best ai in action? As for scaling with difficulty, I wouldn't be surprised if the scaling was limited to giving them higher accuracy and more hp. It's not as if frontier had a stellar reputation when it comes to ai.

The real question on my mind is... after hearing that you're limited to carrying the number of people that your ship has seats for, what good is this multiplayer gameplay if there isn't a single ship in the game that can actually carry a full four-player team?

At least let people hang out in the planetary vehicle hangar or a passenger cabin or something even if they can't walk around the ship.

The federal dropship only has two seats, what kind of a dropship is that? I can drop off... a single guy. Great.
I agree, even a sidewinder would be able to carry a small team in economy passenger cabins - be nice if they introduce a new passenger cabin variant for carrying other players (I doubt that somehow). That said if its limited to the current MC limits you could have a couple of ships working together.

I finally got around to watching the vid. Honestly, what I saw is what I expected from combat "space legs." Not the best thing I've ever seen but not the worst either. By now, I've come to understand Frontier's design philosophy: "good enough is good enough." In other words, they don't set out to revolutionize gameplay but rather get the job done with a functioning core gameplay loop and then iterate on it later. To be fair, that is probably the best design approach when dealing with a complex proc-gen game like Elite. Seeing how Odyssey is going to have to proc-gen these ground combat missions all the time, I just don't think it is feasible to go much beyond a Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare level of gameplay; an Arma III level of realism or detail is just not in the cards. So, I'll take it as it is what I expected anyway (truth be told, I prefer it).

The FPS combat of Odyssey is at the bottom of my list anyway. I mean, it is nice to have as yet another exciting combat activity, but I am much more interested in the exploration potential of "space legs." Next, I want to see a gameplay vid that shows a player standing on the surface of a pristine world busily exploring and discovering things. That is where I want most of the dev work on "space legs" to go. After that, I am eager to see what changes are coming to the core gameplay of Elite: ships, space stations, and outer space activities. This ground-pounder stuff is a nice expansion to Elite gameplay, but my heart belongs to space!

Last edited:
tell me a game where this don't happen.
How is that relevant? The point was that the AI was behaving 'zombie-like'. The argument made was that this was because it was a low level AI.
I'm not convinced that higher level NPCS will show more realistic behaviour, rather they will simply take more time to kill and have a higher accuracy % when shooting at you.

If you're interested in gaming AI, this might be an interesting read:

How is that relevant? The point was that the AI was behaving 'zombie-like'. The argument made was that this was because it was a low level AI.
I'm not convinced that higher level NPCS will show more realistic behaviour, rather they will simply take more time to kill and have a higher accuracy % when shooting at you.
Did you watch the stream they did yesterday? They addressed the ai. Worth a watch.

If you're interested in gaming AI, this might be an interesting read:
My understanding is that they kept dying in the playthroughs and chose to use low level guards to save time.
If you've attacked harmless NPCs in the current game you'll know how dumb they are, whearas attacking elite NPC ships is a whole different experience I assume this is the case in ground combat too. I would like to see use of cover though.

Top Bottom