Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Q&A - Weapons

Mainly a tool to implement more grind and have the game appear to have more content that it actually has. So we'll have several sniper weapons with different damage types, several close range weapons, several weapons specialized for fighting ships, way too little storage for it all and almost certainly never really the right one at hand for the current situation we find ourselves in.
I'm still looking for this mythical grind that people talk about.

So weapons are intended to be the equivalent of ships in odysee? Well won't say anything bad about a feature not for me.

Guess combat players won the headline feature this patch. Fair enough, its their turn. Enjoy shooting things.

So the mission board gives us a ticket to one round at a classic fps map.. capture the flag like objectives then reward. No idea if i even like fps anymore. Looking forward to finding out.
You're describing the Odyssey CQC. That is not the main part of Odyssey, like CQC is not a main part of the core game.

From what I've seen and read, Odyssey will have similar options on how to play like the space part of the game does.

Well, a shame that Odyssee seems to be just another "Battlefield/Arma/CounterStrike in Space".
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy some good PvP in my FDL, but is that really all?
I mean, what about details on "On Foot" Exploration mechanics? Any details on "peaceful" mission-running?

And all in all, as a VR-Fan, I would appreciate full serviced VR-Support, as in "Alyx" or "Robo Recall"
Thankfully, it's not like that as has been said multiple times.

And my axe!
If you’ve ever seen the anime Legend of the Galactic Heroes...

logh-gun-axe.jpg

...the first time the axes come out (and the first time gallons of the red stuff gets splashed around) during a boarding is a bit of a shocker! 😅

You're describing the Odyssey CQC. That is not the main part of Odyssey, like CQC is not a main part of the core game.

From what I've seen and read, Odyssey will have similar options on how to play like the space part of the game does.

What do you imagine the missions are going to be if not fps maps.. with objectives out of the classic fps map possibilities. Can you think of anything that hasn't been done before? The novelty of elite being you can walk off in infinite directions i guess.

I hope they add some sort of hand operated ground salvage. That would be a needed extra ontop of fps combat. Just wow, there are so many games that offer shooting with lasers, and have been doing it for decades.

Q: Will players be able to upgrade their weapons with attachments?
You can choose from several attachments for your weapons. However, a modified weapon cannot be reverted, so think carefully. You can own multiple copies of a weapon for different situations, but can only carry a limited number of them at a time, depending on your suit type.

So ... what does that mean? Are attachments (i.e. scopes and grips) fused to weapons or can I swap them around whenever I have access to another attachment? I mean, we do have the Picatinny Rail in our timeline and Faulcon DeLacy developed something similar for ship modules.
This HAS to refer to engineering on weapons and attachments and NOT the attachment itself.

Thanks for the Q&A.

I must also admit I find it strange that you can't remove modifications once they've been applied to a weapon. I thought I remember Gareth saying that they wanted you to feel some attachment to the weapons and it wasn't going to be the sort of thing where you find a better one every 5 minutes (paraphrasing). If that's the case then not being able to remove and sacrifice current modifications to apply news ones seems counter-intuative.

Now when you say always... I have no plans on doing combat, when I'm just walking around a planet's surface, or inside a Thargoid structure I'd really rather not have a reticule in the centre of my screen the whole time. When you're flying your ship, you don't have a reticule on your screen unless you are in a fire group that has a module with a reticule in it. I do realise that you're saying on foot you can interact with more things that you can in your spaceship (as that is done via menus), but to not be able to hide it from the screen I think could get very frustrating.
Agree with your point about attachments (never played a game where attachments were permanent so I'm guessing the engineer upgrades are not attachments).

But we do have a persistent reticule on our ship hud. It's a square dot.

Maybe you can turn it off? Or maybe you just got so used to it you forgot it's there.

That's the mouse widget and can be turned off.
I think being able to turn off the cross hairs should be an option too. Perhaps it's not but that question and answer wasn't necessarily about the option to remove it entirely. Ambiguously, it could have been but it seems to me that the question was asking for clarity on persistence, not optional toggle.

The mouse widget is optional but persistent. It doesn't fade if you're not flying your ship. The cross hair in most fps games is persistent. But many allow it to be turned off.

I guess my point is that having a reticular cross hair is infrequently dictated by having a weapon out or not if the reticule is required for stuff other than shooting guns; Ozric was implying the opposite based on the hard point deployment. But that's not the only functional hud element that's used for other purposes.

But by all means, having it optional makes sense.

Last edited:
Okay...like they said multiple times to implement diverse "jobs" while in multi-crew and then they threw the whole "feature" into the bin, because nobody used it?
I'm afraid, that we will get a fps with some really minor features apart from "pewpew" as a fig leaf (if at all).

Sadly, as much as I like this beautiful piece of gaming, as much I learned to be VERY skeptic, regarding FDev's "design-descisions" and "promises".

@FDev: Please! Proof me wrong! I honestly begging you to proof me wrong!🙏

Last edited:

That is true, but it wouldn't hurt if they started showing something too.

For instance regarding the new xeno-biology (or something like that) career, all we got so far was a screenshot. Regarding salvage/scavenging, just a passing sentence in the very first dev post about odyssey, almost half a year ago. Same for diplomat missions, etc.

If the devs could find a little time to show something about any of these things, among months of Q&As for stuff like settlement attacks, combat HUD, inter-vehicle combat and weapons attachments, that would be swell.

I'm very looking forward to Odyssey, IMO even in the worst possible scenario the game will still take a huge step forward, but I think that people with more interests in the game besides just combat didn't really got that many reasons to be excited in the last couple months.

That is true, but it wouldn't hurt if they started showing something too.

For instance regarding the new xeno-biology (or something like that) career, all we got so far was a screenshot. Regarding salvage/scavenging, just a passing sentence in the very first dev post about odyssey, almost half a year ago. Same for diplomat missions, etc.

If the devs could find a little time to show something about any of these things, among months of Q&As for stuff like settlement attacks, combat HUD, inter-vehicle combat and weapons attachments, that would be swell.

I'm very looking forward to Odyssey, IMO even in the worst possible scenario the game will still take a huge step forward, but I think that people with more interests in the game besides just combat didn't really got that many reasons to be excited in the last couple months.
I completely agree that they need to show more or the other stuff. It's just that combat is probably one of the easier elements to do as devs will be so experienced with it.

I'm hopeful that the trailer/New Dev diary that's coming up will show us more of what's planned.

I'm also interested in seeing or hearing more about the different suits we can use. The different plant life and how the bio scanner works.

But to say it's just a FPS is wrong, especially when flying our ships will be part of what we can do. You don't get many FPS that allow you to fly your ships, drive your SRV and walk around on billions of different planets. People need to stop seeing Odyssey as a different game. It's expanding on what we can already do, making missions hopefully a much more deeper experience, with multiple sections like flying your ship, and then sneaking into a settlement on foot to steal something or some other variation. From what I've seen and heard its nothing like any FPS I've ever seen so far, that's actually been released.

Okay...like they said multiple times to implement diverse "jobs" while in multi-crew and then they threw the whole "feature" into the bin, because nobody used it?
I'm afraid, that we will get a fps with some really minor features apart from "pewpew" as a fig leaf (if at all).

Sadly, as much as I like this beautiful piece of gaming, as much I learned to be VERY skeptic, regarding FDev's "design-descisions" and "promises".

@FDev: Please! Proof me wrong! I honestly begging you to proof me wrong!🙏
You're comparing a minor part of a small update to a whole expansion. The reason why multicrew didn't work well, is because they didn't have time. It needed some serious backend changes to work properly. It looks like these changes have been made and we will now get real physical multicrew as opposed to telepresence, which I think most people think is a bit crap.

As to proving you wrong, I can only go by the dev diaries and Q&As which have said again and again that they way you go about your missions is up to you. If you don't want to do a combat mission, don't choose to take it.

They have said again and again how they are transposing what you can do in your ships down onto the ground with the options available to you. I have no reason to disbelieve them as of yet.

You're comparing a minor part of a small update to a whole expansion. The reason why multicrew didn't work well, is because they didn't have time. It needed some serious backend changes to work properly. It looks like these changes have been made and we will now get real physical multicrew as opposed to telepresence, which I think most people think is a bit crap.

As to proving you wrong, I can only go by the dev diaries and Q&As which have said again and again that they way you go about your missions is up to you. If you don't want to do a combat mission, don't choose to take it.

They have said again and again how they are transposing what you can do in your ships down onto the ground with the options available to you. I have no reason to disbelieve them as of yet.
I wish I had the same faith as you, mate! I'll keep my fingers crossed. I'm committed because I pre-ordered, so I'm into Odyssee already. :sneaky:

I wish I had the same faith as you, mate! I'll keep my fingers crossed. I'm committed because I pre-ordered, so I'm into Odyssee already. :sneaky:
It's not faith, it's just that I have no reason to disbelieve them. With the original multicrew, they said those things before they had even started on it and all they had were some drawings. With Odyssey, they are saying those things when it's very nearly finished being developed, or it's been developed and they are just doing testing and minor finishing. There is a big difference.

It's not faith, it's just that I have no reason to disbelieve them. With the original multicrew, they said those things before they had even started on it and all they had were some drawings. With Odyssey, they are saying those things when it's very nearly finished being developed, or it's been developed and they are just doing testing and minor finishing. There is a big difference.
Thanks for taking the time to convince me! I really appreciate it. 🙏
My hope is to be TOTALLY wrong and you're ABSOLUTLY right. That would be awesome!

What do you imagine the missions are going to be if not fps maps.. with objectives out of the classic fps map possibilities. Can you think of anything that hasn't been done before? The novelty of elite being you can walk off in infinite directions i guess.
I imagine they will be modelled on settlements. Remember mission don't need to be combat related. You can get missions at a settlement I believe, you get can get missions from stations to settlements. I'm sure some will be combat related, while others could be stealth, diplomacy, salvage or even commerce.

No, I don't expect them to be like FPS arenas.

I hope they add some sort of hand operated ground salvage. That would be a needed extra ontop of fps combat. Just wow, there are so many games that offer shooting with lasers, and have been doing it for decades.
They have already said salvaging and scavenging is in, as well as stuff for explorers.

There are so many games that offer space ships and shooting. So what.

They have already said they are transposing what we can do in our ships with all the options available to us down on to the ground as much as they can, mining being one area which won't be.

We know that's there is far more to it then just shooting, they've said it often enough, and we've seen glimpses of the bio scanner and we've seen glimpses of some of the tools that are available too.

Thanks for taking the time to convince me! I really appreciate it. 🙏
My hope is to be TOTALLY wrong and you're ABSOLUTLY right. That would be awesome!
I hope I'm right too, but I could also be very very wrong and they lied about it all, but I doubt it though. I wouldn't be surprised if some stuff gets delayed though, and will be released at a later time.

Top Bottom