Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Q&A - Ships and Vehicles

Well, if you deploy your SRV or SLF, use the external camera and look at the cockpit you'll see yourself inside them. Then if you get destroyed or auto-destruct, you magically appear in your ship. Telepresence with a body hologram maybe? I wonder why even is the cockpit needed in this case, why not just camera and sensors.

I suppose Odyssey will be similar. If you die while on foot you'll find out the whole experience on foot was a simulation or telepresence? lol

Otherwise you'll deploy SRV, then exit SRV and proceed on foot to a planetary installation for a mission. Magically it's not telepresence from the the point you exit SRV onwards and becames the real commander on foot. But then what happens when you die? And what happens if you board the SRV and then auto-destruct?

I feel FDev will have to revamp all these systems, otherwise it'll be some magical nonsensical crap.
That only happens with the SLF. With the SRV, you are not in the ship and the SRV is not controlled by Telepresence. Only the SLF is, hence the reason why you can see yourself still in your ship only when using the SLF.

I made an account just to come here and say that I do not at ALL think that Ship and SRV are "in a good place."

It is true that the basics of balance are there. In the sense that turreted weapons deal less damage than fixed weapons, or limited ammo weapons do more than unlimited ammo weapons, sure. It's also 100% understandable that not every weapon or module is viable in every situation, that stuff is all fine.

It all works great until you look at Engineering for more than 2 seconds though.

It's like modules and weapons were designed using a 1-10 scale as far as scope. While there are things that are better or worse, they are only SO much better or worse. Engineering completely blows that scale out of the water, and SUPER unevenly, where some Engineering paths are next to useless where others increase the effectiveness by orders of magnitude.

It can't be a balanced system if you can Engineer a ship that cannot be destroyed by the most dangerous of NPC opponents. Who are you then supposed to fight? Other players? Because in that context, that whole bit I had about the basics being there totally goes out the window, you are stuck with like 1 ship, 2 weapons and you'd better max our your own Engineering or you flat out cannot compete.

SRV combat is extremely simple to balance because it's extremely simple. I'm still confused how I was so excited to be able to get out into a Rover and go explore planet surfaces, just to find that I have like 3 things to do. There is SO much opportunity that is untapped there and the stuff we do have to do with SRVs is so basic that I try to avoid doing it.

I love your game! It's a work of art as it is and am more than happy to spend more money on it, but it's disheartening to hear you say such things, because you are either being deceptive, or quite out of touch with your own game. I KNOW that you have very vocal fans on YouTube and elsewhere, trying to help you improve your product because it's something they love, it's just jarringly tone deaf to say such things.

So jarring I joined this forum just to say that. Big hopes for Odyssey, and thanks for all that you do!

Has the question been asked / answered, how and will Cmdrs stay dead?

OK within the first answer FD confirm Cmdrs on foot CAN "die". But has it been asked, what happens next. Do they stay dead? or is there some magic wand of re-spawn nonsense going on?
No official answers have been given yet.
Speculation runs from rebuy screen with the commander being in his ship or the last Apex depot he used depending on where they were last, up to being back at the character generation screen to pick a new name before starting over with nothing but the stuff you paid ARX for.
There are some, based on other threads, would want us to wake up some variable time later in hospital where we would have to spend time in treatment and rehabilitation.
Doubtless some extremists would like us to start back at the buy a new account as everything is wiped stage.

I don't hate them but then I don't have your life experience and I can certainly see how they wouldn't be on top of your tree with that. I just don't have that much interest in them one way or the other and am aware that there's already no shortage of them on the market if I should feel the need to play one.

This. Odyssey doesn't feel like an extension of being a starship pilot experience but FPS in Elite universe. Because of that the only thing I am really waiting for is a graphic overhaul and ability to land on new planets.

This. Odyssey doesn't feel like an extension of being a starship pilot experience but FPS in Elite universe. Because of that the only thing I am really waiting for is a graphic overhaul and ability to land on new planets.
We have no idea how it feels like until we try it. But to me it certainly looks like an extension to the adventures my commander can go on. Whether that includes combat or not. I suspect many on foot missions will not have any combat at all.

Speculation runs from rebuy screen with the commander being in his ship or the last Apex depot he used depending on where they were last, up to being back at the character generation screen to pick a new name before starting over with nothing but the stuff you paid ARX for.
There are some, based on other threads, would want us to wake up some variable time later in hospital where we would have to spend time in treatment and rehabilitation.
Doubtless some extremists would like us to start back at the buy a new account as everything is wiped stage.

Preferences aside FD have thrown some hints I feel via Galnet in the form of Nanomedicines.

This fits basic 'Risk Dominance Strategy' the assumption that players will take the option with the smallest risk, given the payoffs dont outweigh those risks.

Players wont fight, if they stand any chance of loosing 'everything'.

I just wonder why their not talking about it?

We have no idea how it feels like until we try it. But to me it certainly looks like an extension to the adventures my commander can go on. Whether that includes combat or not. I suspect many on foot missions will not have any combat at all.
Agreed.

I currently enjoy flying down to planets, finding somewhere with impressive views, getting out in the srv and driving about.

I cannot wait to fly down to planets with thin atmospheres and do the same in even more impressive locations, and then go the next step and walk around. With plant life, scavenging wrecks, and full wild-west settlements to raid/fix/steal from ... sounds good to me so far.

So we are truly in SRV when using it you say? How is it possible that we are magically back in the ship when the SRV explodes?

I'd just be happy with us waking up at the nearest medical area, and having to pay for medical expenses and the towage for your ship. It's needs to be a fine balance of not feeling trivial, otherwise nobody will care if they live or die, but also not too punishing as to make it feel not worth the risk.

Greetings Commanders!

We have a fresh selection of answers to your Elite Dangerous: Odyssey questions! This week Gareth Hughes has graciously shared the answers you gave us on Ships and Vehicles!

Q: Can a ship and SRV damage a player if I run over them?
Absolutely! An SRV can damage or kill a player if they are not fast enough to get out of the way. This goes the same for AI, though they will do their best to evade you if they see you coming!

Q: Will there be updates to ship and SRV combat, as well as ground combat?
Ship combat and SRV combat is in a healthy place right now, our focus is on ground combat for Odyssey, and ensuring that it is balanced well against vehicles. We will be looking closely at balancing in the upcoming Alpha.

Q: Do player shields affect ships like other ships do?
Players will not be able to ‘ram’ a ship whilst on foot no, though it would be fun to watch someone try.

Q: How will you balance night vision on ships with on foot players?
Night vision will work as it does currently; providing ship Commanders improved vision in low light environments. It is worth noting that ‘on foot’ players will be very small targets for Commanders in ships, and too small for ship weapons to lock on to. However, Commanders in ships will be very big targets for players on foot, with some handheld weapons being able to lock on to them.

Q: Will the ship launched fighter be used in ground combat?
Yes, all deployable vehicles can be used. A player can choose to deploy in a fighter if they want, with all the benefits and drawbacks that will provide.

Q. Will we be getting an addition to the ship HUD? As seen in the gameplay reveal, we will have a compass. Surely to make things easier to communicate between players on foot and in ship/SRV a North directional indicator should appear on your radar when in orbit around a planet, or in atmosphere.
The current HUD for ships in Elite Dangerous provides all the relevant information that Commanders will need in Odyssey.

Q. Will spaceships be able to deploy anti-personnel/vehicle bombs/missiles?
We have no plans to add specific anti-personnel ship weapons. We’ve put a huge amount of work into ensuring the combat triangle remains balanced and fair. Ships will however have creative opportunities to use their existing arsenal…

Q: Will we be able to drop in from our ships or do we have to leave and exit the ship like normal during combat situations?
In order to deploy from your ship Commanders will need to land first.

Q. Can we engineer our SRVs?
There will be extensive engineering options for suits and weapons in Odyssey, however there are no plans to engineer SRVs

Q. When doing a multiple vehicle assault, is it possible for player crew members to drive SRVs from the ship they don't own? Similar way to launching a SLV is now?
Absolutely! For instance, there would be nothing to stop a Commander in an Alliance Crusader have 1 of their multi-crew teammates deploying in a Ship Launched Fighter, landing and deploying the other multi-crew teammate in an SRV, before heading in on foot themselves.

We are very excited to see how Commanders team up to complete missions in Odyssey!

That's it for this week. Keep an eye out for more Elite Dangerous: Odyssey news in future!

o7

Hope you will consider new SRV models, like with SLF´s.

My suggestion for other two models is:

1) a hover-craft that floats above 3 meters (so it is not a threat to on foot CMDR´s / npc´s and has no weaponry, just in case any of that would bring any "on foot" balance issues).
But would be great vehicle for sightseeing and exploring new Odyssey planets (and remake of older one´s).

2) a more damage resistance SRV lasting at planet surfaces hours longer than modern version with "less careful driving", it could even perhaps have big round wheels to prevent it from getting stuck even though it could flip over (naturally a jet pack on both sides could flip it back again).
If there is reasons for balancing, just reduce either fire power or speed, or both if absolutely necessary.

Last edited:
Is it possible for the Pilot (Helm) to fly the SLF while the other 2 stay on foot?

It would make sense for the Pilot to continue piloting incase they are playing with 2 shooty bois who can't fly.

I tend to agree with you, the focus of Odyssey seems to be on fps combat and I fear the worst but we won't know untill they actually show us some more of the other aspects of Odyssey if there are any.
The graphical upgrade alone is enough for me to buy Odyssey eventually but I definitely won't pre-order anymore, especially with the long delay for console release.

Thanks for the answers but, and it's a big but.

Why has the question, will we get more types of SRVs not been answered?

It's the question most people want to know. Over 5 years and we still only have the one type, surely you have to be adding more with Odyssey.

Yeah quite silly that they didn't answer it.

People also want at least 1 new ship (e.g. Panther Clipper).

Top Bottom