Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Q&A - Ships and Vehicles

That has been addressed, the ship must be landed (ie no change there). If you click on the 'dev post' icon at the top right of any dev post it will take you to the next one in the thread. (ETA just checked, the post you quoted has been updated).
I just double checked the updated (and original) dev posts and still got no clarification on how can you land a ship when you have an SLF active?

I just double checked the updated (and original) dev posts and still got no clarification on how can you land a ship when you have an SLF active?
I think we will have to wait and find out for that one - it has been mentioned by the CM's then confirmed it was possible... Maybe the 'how' will be part of the next bit they share?

Not being able to land a ship while an SLF is deployed, just as not being able to deploy an SRV with multi-crew active are game rules that can be changed (and presumably will be), not inherent limitations.

The clarification I was referring to was the one about SRVs deploying only while landed.

Not wanting to pour water over such a great achievement, but Braben once said about ED "we got it wrong".

At that time I maybe would have agreed with him, to a degree, in that they 'judged' what the player base wanted wrongly...

However I would go further and instead say they had not done anything wrong, but should have instead stood their ground, yet I get the pessimistic feeling ever since CQC they began pandering to market research.

Back in the beginning, Brookes book: Elite Legacy, got what 'legs' ought to be, it added depth by painting life on a station very well...think FD missed out there...something at least was either lost in translation or someone was let go who had the right ideas...

Loved the game, but its not the Elite of old anymore.

I'll install Odyssey, will really enjoy walking around those settlements and ports (airport lounges)...as after exploration one needs to stretch the legs, but without any depth, it may begin to feel more like EuroTruck Simulator now with added roadside 'Happy Eater' reststop...

Please prove us wrong FD...
I really don't know how you can come to the conclusion that Odyssey lacks depth from the small snippets we've seen. If anything it's shown me more depth then what I was expecting and we've seen very little so far.

I get the pessimistic feeling ever since CQC they began pandering to market research.

Ah yes, 'pandering to market research' AKA "listening to your customers". :rolleyes:

Loved the game, but its not the Elite of old anymore. without any depth,

Elite never had space legs, so literally anything they do here will add depth to the game and series. Also, the original Elite was by far the shallowest of them all, and the 2014 v1.0 ED was the shallowest version of ED. Are you sure it is depth you want?

it may begin to feel more like EuroTruck Simulator now with added roadside 'Happy Eater' reststop...

Adding FPS to a game widely known as 'Eurotruck Simulator in Space' will make it more like EuroTruck Simulator? Its been a while since I played but, but I cannot remember much FPS in EuroTruck Simulator at all...

Will there be other ways around planets other then taxi/SRVs, possibly fighters launched from outpost that can't handle space, but are good to zip around planet?

I may be mistaken but the answer that was given by FDEV there was to a question about combat mechanics and balance not to networking.
The general point I was attempting to make was that FDEV is seemingly attempting to assure us that everything is fine in terms of combat with others players while sharing SRV's, Ships , SLF and whatever else may come about. However, with the current build and state of Multicrew being the sole indication as to what netcode is it relied upon. I'm convinced of either FDEV grossly overstepping their understand of community frustration , or they are getting this information to provide to this Q&A through the "revived netcode" that was stated many moons ago.

Some might call this irrelevant to the post at hand, I beg to differ. It's quite great to get small amounts of information at a time regarding new and exciting content. But how can we enjoy the content that's coming without discussing the network and stability that is currently plaguing the game?

That wouldn't be that bad IF the planet is an interesting place itself, not a static desert. Alas, it looks like this WILL be the case, since they are focusing on combat, spending their manpower on it, instead of weather, caves and other interesting stuff.

I disagree with planets being a static desert. I agree in their current iteration they are somewhat boring. But I believe with the new planet tech coming with Odyssey they'll be a lot more dynamic.

Are there QoL updates to the space and spaceship part of this space game other than planet surfaces and light atmospheres? Any new space tweaks or refinement of gameplay or missions like smuggling, stealth, electronic warfare, Power Play, Thargoids, Guardians, other?

You already have a Suggestions thread with 10,000 posts. Why not start going over those and grouping like suggestions and getting Dev responses/ David to add some to "the list" and give players feedback on them? An entire thread dedicated to suggestions that never sees any Dev interaction or response makes it a joke.

I really don't know how you can come to the conclusion that Odyssey lacks depth from the small snippets we've seen. If anything it's shown me more depth then what I was expecting and we've seen very little so far.

I think that's precisely the issue ... in your own words, "we've seen very little so far". And it's all FPS combat stuff. You're assuming there is much, much more. Others (myself included) are not.

I think that's precisely the issue ... in your own words, "we've seen very little so far". And it's all FPS combat stuff. You're assuming there is much, much more. Others (myself included) are not.
I'm not assuming anything. I'm just going by what they have said. Of course hey could be lying though.

Completely agree with you. Let us remember our history. Back in the Gamma, just before release people were getting hopes up, and saying all kinds of things would be in the release, that weren't in the Gamma, but when release came there was functionally no difference between the two. Since then, has there been a point release or upgrade of Elite where Frontier have over-delivered?

So far, all we've really seen is admittedly prettier, but still 'sterile' worlds, with small bases on them, and interesting looking FPS combat, but not something that many games haven't done before. There's no evidence of more, 'killer' features, yet.

I'm still interested in Odyssey, but I'll admit part of that is more 'how are they going to mess this up this time round...' curiosity. By keeping hopes low, I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised. :)

I'm getting a little worried. Initially I was excited about Odyssey because I have always loved "Combined Arms" games. The more answers I hear though, the more it seems like Odyssey is almost going to be a separate game. Sure, ships can be there, but almost every answer has gone down the path of "It is easy for ground troops to shoot ships... but ships can't target ground troops and they don't have any anti-personnel weapons."

Seems like the only relation between ground combat and space gameplay may be some cross-grinding needed to advance one or both of them.

The more I see about Odessey, the more I worry that it is basically just FPS grafted onto the Elite game with little or no tie in. I don't think it will hit the "combined arms" levels of Dust and EVE. It just seems to be new ways to grind, and engineering suits rather than ships. And we're not even getting new SRV's to work with...

Top Bottom