Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Q&A - Ships and Vehicles

Has the question been asked / answered, how and will Cmdrs stay dead?

OK within the first answer FD confirm Cmdrs on foot CAN "die". But has it been asked, what happens next. Do they stay dead? or is there some magic wand of re-spawn nonsense going on?
My hope is that they rework death - having your ship destroyed launches you in an escape pod. That escape pod is 'opened' at a station or starport, allowing you to continue your journey (on foot). With your ship 'rebuy screen' being an insurance desk at said station/starport.
I'm also 99.9% sure this won't happen!

My hope is that they rework death - having your ship destroyed launches you in an escape pod. That escape pod is 'opened' at a station or starport, allowing you to continue your journey (on foot). With your ship 'rebuy screen' being an insurance desk at said station/starport.
I'm also 99.9% sure this won't happen!

That would be a dream come true.

Essentially such elements would add 'depth. Not something FD are famous for.

Then there would be those Cmdrs who would be all: 'takes too long'!

When the 1st glimpse of Odyssey was revealed I realised FD were no longer interested in depth... or simulation... just action.

There are various avenues FD could explore with 'death' as well as protection from.it, but they would all require additional content, which would also add much needed depth, but it would also drastically alter the existing player base.

Odyssey looks great, but I wouldn't hold your horses around anything coming which doesn't involve FPS, they may call it something else but it likely will just resolve to walking a few metres into the desert to scan 1 cactus...

Last edited:
Not wanting to pour water over such a great achievement, but Braben once said about ED "we got it wrong".

At that time I maybe would have agreed with him, to a degree, in that they 'judged' what the player base wanted wrongly...

However I would go further and instead say they had not done anything wrong, but should have instead stood their ground, yet I get the pessimistic feeling ever since CQC they began pandering to market research.

Back in the beginning, Brookes book: Elite Legacy, got what 'legs' ought to be, it added depth by painting life on a station very well...think FD missed out there...something at least was either lost in translation or someone was let go who had the right ideas...

Loved the game, but its not the Elite of old anymore.

I'll install Odyssey, will really enjoy walking around those settlements and ports (airport lounges)...as after exploration one needs to stretch the legs, but without any depth, it may begin to feel more like EuroTruck Simulator now with added roadside 'Happy Eater' reststop...

Please prove us wrong FD...

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers but, and it's a big but.

Why has the question, will we get more types of SRVs not been answered?

It's the question most people want to know. Over 5 years and we still only have the one type, surely you have to be adding more with Odyssey.

It's quite possible that the new SRV is your legs.

This is my biggest fear. It's just gunna be the same missions as srv only, on Foot.

That wouldn't be that bad IF the planet is an interesting place itself, not a static desert. Alas, it looks like this WILL be the case, since they are focusing on combat, spending their manpower on it, instead of weather, caves and other interesting stuff.

That wouldn't be that bad IF the planet is an interesting place itself, not a static desert. Alas, it looks like this WILL be the case, since they are focusing on combat, spending their manpower on it, instead of weather, caves and other interesting stuff.
Yup. While I do enjoy and play FPS games regularly, there's a plethora of those to pick from if I want that gameplay. Elite, on the other hand, is such a fantastic and unique space sim and I wished they'd polish space sim features instead of adding FPS combat. "Space legs" is awesome, sure. But I'd rather enjoy and customize ship interiors and hang out in the station's pub with my squadron instead of FPS combat.

That said, ED is such a beautiful game, I don't doubt they might pull off one of the nicest FPS games out there, which is indeed exciting. I just wonder how it'll be regarding P2P instancing, as FPS games do require a very stable connection when playing with others.

It could be that they are focussing on showing us combat as that was the smallest and so most completed part of Odyssey so easiest to show off in teaser sized chunks.

I know additional question probably won't be answered, but I'll try anyway:

Since now there's a taxi service to move around planets, does that mean that who doesn't bring a ship to host his SRV will be stuck on foot, or he'll be able to buy an SRV to go around the planet anyway?

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
I greatly appreciate the CM's doing their best trying to get answers. But this Q & A has done very little to assure a decent portion of long term community concerns that have plagued the game for quite some time. To explain to us that the SRV and Ship dynamic is "Healthy" is quite a contradiction to the continuous and repeated reports of connections issues, network failures and a generally poor ability to do multicrew in general.

It is either Frontier, have respectfully failed to notify us that internal Dev builds have a drastically show a massive improvement ( In which I applaud prior mentions of better netcode , etc) or that they have possibly mishandled or misconstrued community feedback since the launch of MultiCrew.

I may be mistaken but the answer that was given by FDEV there was to a question about combat mechanics and balance not to networking.

I have a question.
At this moment in time in game if a Ship has an active SLF that is either controlled by ai or multi-crew, the landing gear of the ship that the SLF deployed from is disabled while SLF is active.
So in Multi-crew in Odyssey how can you have a multi-crew member launch an SLF from your ship and be able to land and have a second multi-crew member deploy in an SRV when the ships landing gear is disabled while it has an active SLF?

This part about Ships and Vehicles seems very technical. The developers probably worked hard to create something like this.

It seems that a lot of dynamism is going to be brought by Odyssey (y)

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

Reading through this it looks like we really need some info on the other elements to this update. Hopefully the scavenger and exploration parts have been developed to at least the same degree as the on foot combat.

Q. When doing a multiple vehicle assault, is it possible for player crew members to drive SRVs from the ship they don't own? Similar way to launching a SLV is now?
Absolutely! For instance, there would be nothing to stop a Commander in an Alliance Crusader have their 2 multi-crew teammates deploying in a Ship Launched Fighter AND an SRV, before landing and heading in on foot themselves.

We are very excited to see how Commanders team up to complete missions in Odyssey!

That's it for this week. Keep an eye out for more Elite Dangerous: Odyssey news in future!

o7

To clarify this last point - in order to deploy the SRV the ship will need to be landed. Sorry for any confusion this caused. - Arf
Sorry if this has been addressed but your answer doesn't make sense.

Are you saying that a multi-crew member can launch an SRV while the ship is in flight? (Which by the way would be awesome 🤗 )

And (as in game now) you cannot land a ship whilst you have an SLF active (due to not being able to deploy landing gear), so how can you continue on foot if you cannot land you ship?

Sorry if this has been addressed but your answer doesn't make sense.

Are you saying that a multi-crew member can launch an SRV while the ship is in flight? (Which by the way would be awesome 🤗 )

And (as in game now) you cannot land a ship whilst you have an SLF active (due to not being able to deploy landing gear), so how can you continue on foot if you cannot land you ship?

That has been addressed, the ship must be landed (ie no change there). If you click on the 'dev post' icon at the top right of any dev post it will take you to the next one in the thread. (ETA just checked, the post you quoted has been updated).

Top Bottom