Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Q&A - Interface and NPCs

Do I understand correctly that the last phrase only affects solo players? Since the link (wing), all coordination is carried out through the Discord.
The description is mostly identical to what happens to you in your ship when your life support runs down except for the physical impairments so it will affect you in all modes.

Surely they have already answered it, but if so, I cannot find the answer anywhere. If you get killed while outside the ship in a shootout, where do you appear, and what happens to the ship? Do you also have to pay the ship's buyback insurance? Are we going to have to pay life insurance, in case they kill us?

Surely they have already answered it, but if so, I cannot find the answer anywhere. If you get killed while outside the ship in a shootout, where do you appear, and what happens to the ship? Do you also have to pay the ship's buyback insurance? Are we going to have to pay life insurance, in case they kill us?
They haven’t answered this yet.

I don't know if this has been requested before but I would like some way of having more than one controller mappable for the PC version.

I currently run the spaceflight part of the game using a joystick, and I aso use that same joystick for SRV work. But for 'on-foot' work I would rather use a Nintendo N64 controller that I use for other FPS games. Yes I can always physically switch controllers by unplugging their USB connection, but would there be any way of having two controllers connected in parallel, where I simply set aside the controller I am not using and pick up the other one?

I don't know if this has been requested before but I would like some way of having more than one controller mappable for the PC version.

I currently run the spaceflight part of the game using a joystick, and I aso use that same joystick for SRV work. But for 'on-foot' work I would rather use a Nintendo N64 controller that I use for other FPS games. Yes I can always physically switch controllers by unplugging their USB connection, but would there be any way of having two controllers connected in parallel, where I simply set aside the controller I am not using and pick up the other one?
There are a number of commanders that have a HOTAS plugged in that they use for ships and a game controller plugged in at the same time for use with the SRV or in some cases the external camera suite.
So this is already in the game.

There are a number of commanders that have a HOTAS plugged in that they use for ships and a game controller plugged in at the same time for use with the SRV or in some cases the external camera suite.
So this is already in the game.
Oh, excellent, thanks for that. So essentially I can leave both controllers plugged in, and just swap them on the desk like I do with the mouse when in dock.

Thanks aRJay :)

For the next Q&A session here is one Question:
Q: How are you going to keep consol players entertained and engaged untill Odyssay comes to consols?

Flip the question round the other way,
Q: How is Frontier going to keep the PC community quiet once they have played with the new mechanics?

Frontier wont be able to create any Odyssey based CGs, or introduce any Odyssey only narrative or gameplay without having to provide something for consoles aswell.
They wont be able to initiate a Thursday CG that requires on-foot (to drive up purchase of the Odyssey DLC) without having to also provide a non Odyssey CG for consoles
They wont be able to send explorers off exploring in caverns on a planet x klys outside the bubble to unlock a Thargoid / non-Thargoidn mystery until consoles can also access it.

The separation of PC rollout from Console rollout provides Frontier with a big headache beyond keeping console players occupied.

Can I ask a couple of very, very serious question that will make or break the game for the majority of players - :LOL:

1 - When Odyssey drops and we have NPCs walking around, will we see a return of Edible Poets to the Elite series?
2 - Will we finally be able to play low-gee Cricket?

Answering these questions will put a lot of CMDRs minds at rest, stop all the speculation about what may or may not be included, and may help to alleviate some of the frustrations of Odyssey being delayed!
Thanks Fdev - keep up the good work!

If anyone actually takes this post seriously, can they be sentanced to a lifetime of floating through space in a Remlok suit?

I see people excited about the FPS aspects of Odyssey. Are we excited to be playing against bots? How long are we going to pretend like any single-player FPS is ever going to touch even the top 10 most popular games list? I would play ED again the second that they introduce even one meaningful competitive aspect to the game. Open-only anything would be fine. Until then I will just keep an eye on ED until it either becomes an interesting multiplayer game with meaningful competitive aspects to it, or is replaced by one that does.

I see people excited about the FPS aspects of Odyssey. Are we excited to be playing against bots?
Yes? :D

How long are we going to pretend like any single-player FPS is ever going to touch even the top 10 most popular games list?
Who says it needs to?

I would play ED again the second that they introduce even one meaningful competitive aspect to the game. Open-only anything would be fine. Until then I will just keep an eye on ED until it either becomes an interesting multiplayer game with meaningful competitive aspects to it, or is replaced by one that does.
See, you're playing a different game than me, that's your problem right there.

I see people excited about the FPS aspects of Odyssey. Are we excited to be playing against bots? How long are we going to pretend like any single-player FPS is ever going to touch even the top 10 most popular games list? I would play ED again the second that they introduce even one meaningful competitive aspect to the game. Open-only anything would be fine. Until then I will just keep an eye on ED until it either becomes an interesting multiplayer game with meaningful competitive aspects to it, or is replaced by one that does.
Thank you for dropping by to share your observations and opinions, they are, as always, welcome...
I'd suggest that your list of wants might be excessive for this particular game and that you might consider it a waste of time to bother returning to check if it has the changes you wish, as it is extremely unlikely 🤷‍♂️
(Although, of course, miracles can happen, developers can change their existing playerbase for a much more fickle one...)

Why is everyone so interested in combat?
Is this game turning into a Destiny clone?

I can understand a Q&A on combat (if people want it) but this was meant to be on Interfaces & NPCs and the questions keep coming back to shooting people.
Is this all that Odyssey is going to provide?

Can we have some insight on things like:
  • What will the user interface look like? What inspirations have you used? What sort of 'on-foot' user experience are you trying achieve? (will it be a floating UX inside the helmet? or will it be something that is read from a forearm screen?) Will you be supporting short-cut keys or deliberately maintainng look & click to provide a degree of realisism to the experience?
  • How will the NPCs change depending on whether they are friendly or hostile towards you? Will Powerplay have any influence on whether they do / do not talk to you? Will ranking have any influence on the conversation trees?
Combat is the foundation to everything that goes into a good on foot experience, I’m sure the other game modes like exploration will also be expanded when the worse bugs is ironed out.

Sorry I missed it in the diaries, maybe someone can give me a short answer : is it possible to disembark from the SRV ?

For example, sat on the ship on the planet, left the ship in the SRV, drove 10km to the base and got out of the SRV and then went on foot.

Recalled Robert Shackley, book: The Special Prospector's Cocktail.

Sorry I missed it in the diaries, maybe someone can give me a short answer : is it possible to disembark from the SRV ?

For example, sat on the ship on the planet, left the ship in the SRV, drove 10km to the base and got out of the SRV and then went on foot.

Recalled Robert Shackley, book: The Special Prospector's Cocktail.
We haven't been told that specifically - but I hope so.

I’m pretty sure the SRV question has been answered - didn’t a Dev say you could hire a SRV if you were trying to play purely on foot?

I’m pretty sure the SRV question has been answered - didn’t a Dev say you could hire a SRV if you were trying to play purely on foot?

Ha! That would be great.

I'd like to know if there's a Fleet Carrier package .. for selling guns, science gear and spacesuits.

Top Bottom