ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey PC Launch Date

Comparison. You made an analogy.
But you are right, I know nothing about game development, so I should just shut my cake hole and stay silent .... right?
NO, everyone whether right or wrong on their point of view is and SHOULD give his or Hers opinion. It's called Democracy, unless you live in one of those countries who don't have a Democracy, then in that Case shut your flippin Cake hole ;)
Athough it pains me to agree with certain forum members... :ROFLMAO:

My buzzing friend has hit the nail on the bonce...

Don't shut yer gob, @Alien... Despite my insectoid amigo wishing I would, I don't either!

Having just finished "Falcon And The Winter Soldier" this morning, it dawned on me that it, Wandavision, and Odyssey all have something in common - they all left me feeling a bit "let down" with their finales. But when I step back and look at each as a whole package and "curb my enthusiasm", which was based on hype and preconceived notions of where each was going, I have to admit each is pretty good (bugs and performance issues notwithstanding when judging Odyssey).

I'm still not preordering Odyssey, but it'll remain on my wishlist, and hopefully someday when all the issues are fixed, I'll buy it. If that day happens to be May 19, then I'll buy it right away. Though the odds of that are about as good as the odds of David Braben being Mephisto in disguise ;)

iu

Having just finished "Falcon And The Winter Soldier" this morning, it dawned on me that it, Wandavision, and Odyssey all have something in common - they all left me feeling a bit "let down" with their finales. But when I step back and look at each as a whole package and "curb my enthusiasm", which was based on hype and preconceived notions of where each was going, I have to admit each is pretty good (bugs and performance issues notwithstanding when judging Odyssey).

I'm still not preordering Odyssey, but it'll remain on my wishlist, and hopefully someday when all the issues are fixed, I'll buy it. If that day happens to be May 19, then I'll buy it right away. Though the odds of that are about as good as the odds of David Braben being Mephisto in disguise ;)

iu

the odds of getting small seismic charges by May 19th are higher ;)

We're in the minority. It's not allowed to post critical posts here.
Frontier does everything right, and everyone who criticizes is a doomsayer and gets pointed fingers at.
We simply don't understand game development. Now where did I hear this before?
Every where on the forums, but the forum posters are a minority of the readers who are a minority of the players which makes judging the mood of the player base difficult.

As far as frame rates are concerned mine where fairly appalling even with the graphics turned down, however the game was generally running very smoothly despite that.
I was getting killed all the time in on foot conflict zones but then it is probably 15 years since I played a shooter and what skills I had are long gone so I am not prepared to blame frame rates, the silly wheel with energy and meds yes that definitely was a factor.

NO, everyone whether right or wrong on their point of view is and SHOULD give his or Hers opinion. It's called Democracy, unless you live in one of those countries who don't have a Democracy, then in that Case shut your flippin Cake hole ;)
Pendant, here.

Given that I live in a Republic, what should I do with my cake hole?

Actually that is more like freedom of speech which is not quite the same thing as democracy.

Not sure we are getting any type of planets where you can take your Skid Lid off and BREATH in the fresh air!! That might come way down the line, but for now we are only getting partially atmospheric planets and you have to keep your lid on or you will do what you are currently doing so well in Alpha.....DYING!!
Breathe the free air! (That you steal from handy ports on buildings)

Greetings Commanders,

We're delighted to announce that the PC version of Elite Dangerous: Odyssey will launch on Steam, Epic Games Store and the Frontier Store on May 19th!

Your feedback during the alpha period has been invaluable and made this release date possible. We'll continue collecting your feedback throughout the upcoming alpha phase 4 and beyond launch as we work on further improvements and content updates.

Console development continues behind the scenes with an Autumn release still on schedule.

There's still time to pre-order Odyssey and get your hands on the exclusive Pioneer suit skin. The Deluxe version of the pre-order is also still available for those who want to hop into the alpha which is expected to end on April 30th.

We'll see you on foot planet-side!

o7
So is support for the Oculus Rift back? Can we have VR at better than Medium settings? Less than 2 weeks to address all the issues raised in the Alpha, no Beta and straight to release... Brave decision making there.

Last edited:
No Beta? OK keep it separate so that I can launch Horizons or Odyssey just in case some bugs show up.
Given that its already a thing with being able to launch horizons separately from vanilla ed i dont think that will become an issue

So we have no clue what is actually coming in the full release...we're being told there is so much more. Are they speaking out of their asses or are we really playing an extremely barebones version of the expansion. I sincerely hope we are getting some meaningful additions to gameplay in the upcoming launch. What we should be expecting on launch is:
  • Engineering grind for weapons
    • This is fine, noone is under any illusion that Fdev isnt going to continue their design philosophy on this front
    • If they are considering "SO much more to ED:O than we have seen" just 100s of hours to grind out grade 5 fully engineered weapons...can they actually let us know...some people will be fine with this...others wont, and dont want to be strung along.
    • Likely new engineers scattered across the galaxy for us to upgrade weapons...
  • Plasma Weapons
    • I think its 2 or 3 weapons? Sniper, Shotgun, and pistol
  • Likely a rolled out "story" for thargoid/guardian interactions on foot.
  • Finished/ planetary tech
  • (big maybe) more missions with activities related to more than just combat or the clunky stealth system
I hope for more than this small list, as I really feel I (personally) won't be getting my moneys worth. I also hope in the next livestream there are some significant announcements and not just showing us planerary tech...as that is not gameplay...that is graphical enhancements.

I see a few posts talking about future updates to "add more content" if that is the case I'm genuinely concerned that those will be treated like DLC and we will have to pay again to get it. The way ED:O has been marketed feels more like a one time huge expansion on ED:H. (Obviously any "lore" related content will be drip-fed as it always has been).

Basically is ED:O a "season pass" or a "subscription" to more content in the future...or is it everything we have seen (with some minor unseen additions)? I'm fine if its being treated as a "subscription to more content" but I'd appreciate them informing us at least the scope of what else is being added.

Last edited:
to be frank I think all you combat players should be over joyed with odyssey because its everything you have asked for so far including space legs and ground weps. I really cant understand why players are still complaining about it. Cargo runners, miners and explorers however, where are the addictions for those gameplay types? Nothing as yet is there, so combat players, play and enjoy what youve asked for, because you have got it. You are frankly never happy but you should be overjoyed with the results.

Never ending combat missions, surface, raids, massacre missions, everything including thargoid wars and ships brought out. Why are you still not happy?

I am still looking forward to the pc launch date and additions into the game for non combat roles, will just have to wait and see what frontier add into the game. Panther Clipper, for one, hint hint.

Last edited:
Top Bottom