I look at it in a different way. This argument assumes that every player is supporting FD in an equal way. However, looking into details it might just be as likely that the "few" elite players support(ed) the company by a much larger margin. As casuals tend to only invest a few hours compared to the dedicated community, their financial support most likely is proportional to the invested gametime. Meaning that the casual community might not be the major pillar after all and may be just about as supportive as the few dedicated players that would have been investing on a regular basis.Wait and see what 'minor tweaks' are delivered once Odyssey launches... They are almost certain to not address the majority of your criticisms - as 'Average Joe' is the principal customer and need to be retained - but there may be a tiny scrap of meat on the bone for the "elite few".
I sincerely hope that Frotier continue to do nothing to accomodate the top 0.01% of player skill in a way that would directly affect the remaining 99.99% negatively - but also that a way could be found to enable these "elite" players to enjoy their game equally as much as the others: but, as you said, they wont...
Sadly, the majority, in a piece of entertainment software in particular, are the ones paying the developers salaries - alienating the "casuals" to pamper to the "elite" would very likely be financial suicide for that title.
There are some good examples that work that way, Hearthstone for instance iirc. A few individuals investing as much as a dozens casuals. It's natural that the developers, from a financial point of view, would want to statisfy the most paying ones.
Having said that, it's still questionable to go after paying customers in the first place as game balance shouldn't be dictated by the ones with the biggest purse, but by the ones that understand the most of it. And - point still stands - that certainly isn't the average Joe and imo not Frontier Developements but the few dedicated players that play(ed) the game for years, some of which have already been here since day one or even closed alpha/beta.
Who else could have more understanding of the game mechanics than those that have been around longer than most of the present active players and the current active developers themselves? With as much time investment as the dedicated community, objective and rational argumentations can easily be formulated, proper suggestions with an underlying, solid foundation are more likely to occur compared to circles that simply do not possess the required understanding of the, in fact, relatively complext game mechanics in Elite: Dangerous (compared to most other MMOs).