Elite Dangerous Odyssey has FAILED :D

Basically the stars only emit white light right now, no matter the spectral class. Therefore atmospheres always have their standard color with a white'ish tint + planetary surfaces look illuminated like in some sort of studio. Fdev acknowledged this problem around two weeks ago and a fix is scheduled for Update 9, bringing atmospherics supposedly on par with the promotional footage (especially the colored fog and surfaces of planets I guess). There will however still be further issues with lighting overall, like the darkness of space (hah!) and the bad visibility of nebulae from afar.

What was promised (how it should be):
View attachment 276335

What we have now (due to a bug):
View attachment 276336

So yeah, hopefully this will be resolved soon, because tbh this difference in lighting would make odyssey a lot more beautiful.

I noticed if the primary star is a red/pink colour, it does affect the surface of the planets. Even the planets in the system map.

E.g. my carrier parked in a system with a pink-hued star:

20211113060822_1.jpg

But the atmo colour does not seem to affect the planet surface, and it should. If we get that it'll be amazing.

Well done video. I'm still hopeful about Odyssey, but one thing is sure - it didn't have a good launch and still isn't worth $40.00.

Well I have no idea what Odyssey is actually like. All I have to go on is the reviews and what is written on these forums.

The overall gist is that it was a huge mess at launch and to a greater or lesser extent (depending on who's comments you read) is still a mess.

I'm not going to buy it, with the horror show that FD have made of every expansion to date, I'm not prepared to risk bad performance...that would probably push me over the edge in terms of my enjoyment of ED which in turn would be the end of the road for me with this game.

Until it's fixed, and I mean actually fixed and running properly, I'll never know.
You're probably better off if you're as intolerant to performance downgrades as I am. EDO has certainly improved somewhat over the past half year (!), at the expense of some LoD/draw distances it seems, but I still have to lock my framerate to 45 to get consistent performance across the entire game, and even that isn't guaranteed (it still drops here and there - and I'm not using res downsampling corner cutting as that looks awful). Horizons ran at Ultra/2k at 144fps locked for me - I'd even be okay with 60fps in EDO as long as it'd always be achieved but it seems we'll have to wait for a while until that happens.

But it's not just performance. The lighting is still all over the place; the iCourier is my favourite ship, even more so in EDO due to it being a small pad ship, however the cockpit lighting flashes randomly as if I flew through dark/bright areas in short succession. This happens in SC as well, and all the time, to the extent that it's putting me off flying the thing now. Light bleeds through stations into the docking bay, creating flickering shadows. Planets change in brightness depending on the position of your ship. Not to mention having to wait literally minutes at each start of the game waiting for high res textures to load in. It's almost comical really.

The game overall still feels very janky; stations sometimes take up to 5 seconds (I counted) to appear, sometimes less... but there's always this terrible stutter which I don't get in Horizons (this particular "feature" was introduced in P8... we'll see what P9 surprises us with...). I've even given up on playing with TrackIR (it introduces microstutter if the framerate isn't locked to 60/120hz) and was hoping that my g-sync monitor will smooth things out - while it does it very well with MSFS2020 (which I locked at 40fps) it doesn't quite achieve the same in EDO for some reason.

When you play EDO for a long time you might get used to all this eventually, but coming from Horizons it will come as a bit of a shock.

Just found this video. This guy speaks the truth!

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaqtyDTtS30

Maybe... just maybe... :D
Maybe selling a full priced game in the state Odyssey was at release was not a good idea.
Maybe it's a bit silly to say it has been successfully fixed when half a year later performance is still a long way from where Frontier initially said it would be.
Maybe not everything is well, when any roadmap for consoles is still MIA.
Maybe a passive-aggressive video like that is is just as trolly, even when it's just hating the haters.

Maybe selling a full priced game in the state Odyssey was at release was not a good idea.
Maybe it's a bit silly to say it has been successfully fixed when half a year later performance is still a long way from where Frontier initially said it would be.
Maybe not everything is well, when any roadmap for consoles is still MIA.
Maybe a passive-aggressive video like that is is just as trolly, even when it's just hating the haters.
A full priced game on release is £50 these days. Odyssey was £30. That's substantially less then a full price game. You could of course wait for it to go down in price and get it on offer if you so wishes.

I noticed if the primary star is a red/pink colour, it does affect the surface of the planets. Even the planets in the system map.

E.g. my carrier parked in a system with a pink-hued star:

View attachment 276420

But the atmo colour does not seem to affect the planet surface, and it should. If we get that it'll be amazing.
This is something I noticed as well

You're probably better off if you're as intolerant to performance downgrades as I am.
Heck, I'm triggered just by the terrible shadows I see in everyone's videos and pictures (and I'm talking about the pics / vids that are pro-EDO). It's PS4 shadows all over again! Add all that other stuff in your list, and it's a big fat NO for me.

However... I am interested in the potential of EDO. Not enough to Kickstart it (that is, buy it now in its current state), but enough to keep an eye on how it's progressing, both in fixes and future content. The fleet carrier bridge alone is very enticing to me, and that wasn't on the original roadmap IIRC. Who knows what the future may bring? For now I'm pretending this is a paid beta, and that the gold master will be released sometime next year. Since I don't do paid betas, I'll keep watching from the sideline and see where it goes.

A full priced game on release is £50 these days. Odyssey was £30. That's substantially less then a full price game. You could of course wait for it to go down in price and get it on offer if you so wishes.
Are we comparing a (feature incomplete) DLC to a feature complete AAA release now?

Fwiw, if we actually compare like with like, the DLCs I buy for my games are significantly cheaper (~30-50%).

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Are we comparing a (feature incomplete) DLC to a feature complete AAA release now?

Fwiw, if we actually compare like with like, the DLCs I buy for my games are significantly cheaper (~30-50%).
Well if we're talking semantics, EDO is not a DLC, it's a full fledged* expansion :)

Think free DLCs for Witcher 3 vs the 2 major expansions.

*or meant to be full-fledged via updates and additions

Top Bottom