Elite Dangerous Odyssey has FAILED :D

What i didnt enjoy was the state in which it was launched - they should have postponed the release with at least 6 months if not 9.
I don't think anybody enjoyed the state in which Odyssey was launched. Yes, they should have postponed the release, but what should be and what is will forever be two different things (though with a little luck, they'll sometimes overlap).

One very good thing about the "premature" release is a lot of the nastier design issues (outfitting, galaxy map...) have been sorted out for some time already. That is, part of the reason Odyssey is becoming quite good is its current development is strongly feedback-driven. A silver lining to a very black cloud.

To me, the best game has always been getting the computer to do what I wanted, be it draw lousy pictures or make horrid noises (I started on an Apple ][+ at school in grade 7 (82/83).

These days, the pictures are a little less lousy, and the sounds a little less horrid, but I still find programming to be the best game of all.

Those early days typing in listings eventually led to about 40 years of self-employed programming, so it certainly paid off for me.

I don't think anybody enjoyed the state in which Odyssey was launched. Yes, they should have postponed the release, but what should be and what is will forever be two different things (though with a little luck, they'll sometimes overlap).

One very good thing about the "premature" release is a lot of the nastier design issues (outfitting, galaxy map...) have been sorted out for some time already. That is, part of the reason Odyssey is becoming quite good is its current development is strongly feedback-driven. A silver lining to a very black cloud.
I can agree to 100%. Even though the launch was bad, I strongly believe that not everything that came from it is bad. The way Fdev communicates and does things at the moment is a huge improvement. It feels good to be included in the process after years of no development info. Can they do better, sure - but as it stands right now, odyssey is on a good track to redeem itself.

The design issues should have been resolved during Alpha (which didnt quite happen)
Whatever bugs should have been resolved during Beta (which didnt actually exist from a formal point of view)

IMO the Alpha was more like a proof of concept that a true alpha - the only design changes were the exobiology scanning and the heat maps - and IMO they only really tested the load on the servers (and it was still not enough given the fact that there were major server issues during the first week - carriers being "grounded" for quite some time)

Everything else was changed during the actual release

Basically the stars only emit white light right now, no matter the spectral class. Therefore atmospheres always have their standard color with a white'ish tint + planetary surfaces look illuminated like in some sort of studio. Fdev acknowledged this problem around two weeks ago and a fix is scheduled for Update 9, bringing atmospherics supposedly on par with the promotional footage (especially the colored fog and surfaces of planets I guess). There will however still be further issues with lighting overall, like the darkness of space (hah!) and the bad visibility of nebulae from afar.

What was promised (how it should be):
View attachment 276335

What we have now (due to a bug):
View attachment 276336

So yeah, hopefully this will be resolved soon, because tbh this difference in lighting would make odyssey a lot more beautiful.

Ah! I had forgot about that.

Well I have no idea what Odyssey is actually like. All I have to go on is the reviews and what is written on these forums.

The overall gist is that it was a huge mess at launch and to a greater or lesser extent (depending on who's comments you read) is still a mess.

I'm not going to buy it, with the horror show that FD have made of every expansion to date, I'm not prepared to risk bad performance...that would probably push me over the edge in terms of my enjoyment of ED which in turn would be the end of the road for me with this game.

Until it's fixed, and I mean actually fixed and running properly, I'll never know.

Last edited:
I can agree to 100%. Even though the launch was bad, I strongly believe that not everything that came from it is bad. The way Fdev communicates and does things at the moment is a huge improvement. It feels good to be included in the process after years of no development info. Can they do better, sure - but as it stands right now, odyssey is on a good track to redeem itself.
Will it continue when Frontier believe ED is back on an even keel?

Time will tell.

images

Meh

The reality is that FD managed expectations very poorly by not having an extended beta. Or, would it be more accurate to say that they characterized an extended beta as a release? Either way, players felt they were deceived.

They got what they deserved as a result.

Did anyone actually complain that Odyssey was not like COD? I thought the the thing was people not wanting COD in their spaceship game.

Odyssey exploration is good √
Odyssey FPS gameplay is not worse it's just different √
Odyssey is really optimized, your machine is just bad √
All players that hate Odyssey have 12 year old machine's √
You get to see the scale of your ship, that's what you really wanted √
Planet surfaces are way better in Odyssey than in Horizons √

Everything is double plus good in Odyssey √

Top Bottom