Elite Dangerous Odyssey has FAILED :D

Not sure of the piracy connection, but guessing the screwdrivers are to adjust the head alignment for some reason?

Yup, when you had an original tape the quality was usually good so the head alignment didn't matter much. But when you copied the quality could drop a bit, and if you copied a copy or a copy of a copy of a copy it could degrade badly. Especially if you used cheap quality tapes.

So, sometimes when you had a bad copy you'd get the tiny screwdrivers out and adjust the head alignment, seeking the best possible position to try and get the game to load.

I had a C64 & bought the Cassette Player modified with the dial button on the outside which adjusted the 'spring' side of the head alignment & had a 'noise level' detector, to get the best level before fully loading the game.............back then I thought 'Technology!! What will they come up with next?'
Ha.

I had a friend who's family had all the latest gadgets. They owned a device that's sole purpose was to rewind VHS tapes at high speed. That truly amazed me, they were living in the future I thought. (Turns out they weren't.)

Ha.

I had a friend who's family had all the latest gadgets. They owned a device that's sole purpose was to rewind VHS tapes at high speed. That truly amazed me, they were living in the future I thought. (Turns out they weren't.)
That's the thing with these young 'uns & computer games.
When you've lived through the conception, birth & development of the industry from the mid 70's, seeing how years later the quality of games back then weren't that good - though at the time they were amazing, you appreciate more what's on offer from today's software house's.

I told you my memory was bad, I'd forgotten cassette tapes strapped to mags. I tried typing a game listing in once, never again.

I spent three days typing a machine code listing into a 16k ZX81 once, with the infamous wobbly ram pack held to the base with blu-tac.

Not only did the game run, it worked first time! It was some kind of defender/scramble clone, and I seem to remember each line of hex had a check digit you entered at the end, which prevented any data-entry errors. I still have my Sinclair Programs mags from that era, but this was a lot more advanced than their usual 'space invaders but with teacups' type listings, so I think it must have been from some other mag.

I had a C64 & bought the Cassette Player modified with the dial button on the outside which adjusted the 'spring' side of the head alignment & had a 'noise level' detector, to get the best level before fully loading the game.............back then I thought 'Technology!! What will they come up with next?'
Nice! I only ever had the standard cassette deck without the external dial, we had to use a screwdriver to adjust the tape-reading head. :)

I spent three days typing a machine code listing into a 16k ZX81 once, with the infamous wobbly ram pack held to the base with blu-tac.

Not only did the game run, it worked first time! It was some kind of defender/scramble clone, and I seem to remember each line of hex had a check digit you entered at the end, which prevented any data-entry errors. I still have my Sinclair Programs mags from that era, but this was a lot more advanced than their usual 'space invaders but with teacups' type listings, so I think it must have been from some other mag.
Yes. I remember doing this also with identical setup. Only learned basic, basic enough to modify games but not write my own. Typed in a good few games, we love those syntax errors that wasted many a Saturday afternoon. 🎉

Flimley

Hold on, what missing atmospheric effects?! I guess i also must be blissfully unaware.
Basically the stars only emit white light right now, no matter the spectral class. Therefore atmospheres always have their standard color with a white'ish tint + planetary surfaces look illuminated like in some sort of studio. Fdev acknowledged this problem around two weeks ago and a fix is scheduled for Update 9, bringing atmospherics supposedly on par with the promotional footage (especially the colored fog and surfaces of planets I guess). There will however still be further issues with lighting overall, like the darkness of space (hah!) and the bad visibility of nebulae from afar.

What was promised (how it should be):
Figure 1 - Gameplay Trailer (Correct Lighting).jpg

What we have now (due to a bug):
Figure 2 - In-Game (Broken Lighting).jpg

So yeah, hopefully this will be resolved soon, because tbh this difference in lighting would make odyssey a lot more beautiful.

Last edited:

My first introduction to computers came in 1977. When at College in Blackburn, my mate had got a Texas Instrument Computer. After College we went back to his place & spent the best part of three hours putting in all the lines of code.............to play the game 'think of a number' :ROFLMAO:

Yup, when you had an original tape the quality was usually good so the head alignment didn't matter much. But when you copied the quality could drop a bit, and if you copied a copy or a copy of a copy of a copy it could degrade badly. Especially if you used cheap quality tapes.

So, sometimes when you had a bad copy you'd get the tiny screwdrivers out and adjust the head alignment, seeking the best possible position to try and get the game to load.
Pah! Science! I used to just give the tape player a shake or a brisk slap to deal with that issue.

To me, the best game has always been getting the computer to do what I wanted, be it draw lousy pictures or make horrid noises (I started on an Apple ][+ at school in grade 7 (82/83).

These days, the pictures are a little less lousy, and the sounds a little less horrid, but I still find programming to be the best game of all.

Hehe, just watch it
Funny indeed, maybe because sometimes sarcasm is really funny.

Anyway, i do enjoy EDO.
What i didnt enjoy was the state in which it was launched - they should have postponed the release with at least 6 months if not 9.

Top Bottom