Elite Dangerous: In-Game Memorials

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I'm sure there are reasons why FDev do not want to use Tionisla as a memorial site. I'm not going to argue either for or against it

I do want to thank Frontier for doing this... and make one very small suggestion...

These systems are system-locked with permit requirements. Some people visiting these memorials may only be visiting Elite as well. It might be better to place these memorials in more accessible locations
Dromi is in the starter systems, so they can go there I think.

I'm not a fan of mixing game worlds with real life too much, so I'm not exactly thrilled by this idea.
Actually, thread the gathers those names is way better than whatever this will be, especially when people say a little about those they want to be remembered or post pictures.
But a list of seemingly random names in some beacon in game? I don't see the point. Especially when someone will finally find his submitted name next to some joke in weird language.
But I don't need to visit those places, so... whatever.
It's true that the idea is generous but a little morbid.

I find that real death has no place in a video game.

If I want to honor my dead parents and my dead friends, I go to the cemetery, to the church or quite simply I meditate at home in the privacy in front of a photo.

A video game is not solemn for something as serious as real death. I will feel disrespectful to my deceased.

😷

I like this idea, good work. May I suggest not using the standard beacon asset if possible. I feel like a unique memorial beacon should be designed. Maybe in the shape of the Elite logo or something similar. I also hope it won’t just be a list of names, but explain what these beacons are for to those who don’t read forums.

It's true that the idea is generous but a little morbid.

I find that real death has no place in a video game.

If I want to honor my dead parents and my dead friends, I go to the cemetery, to the church or quite simply I meditate at home in the privacy in front of a photo.

A video game is not solemn for something as serious as real death. I will feel disrespectful to my deceased.

😷
Everybody is different

Thank you Frontier for this - it's not easy to cater for a growing community in a compassionate way while trying to support all the myriad facets of this enourmous game.
I know some have mentioned Tionisla , Orbital Graveyard from the original Robert Holdstock novella, while that's a great idea "The Dark Wheel" novella is more semi-lore now and it doesn't make sense for federation and imperial supporters to only be able to have a memorial site in an independent system.
I think the proposed systems make sense both in lore and for players.
NO... the inclusion at Tionisla Graveyard honour came from the Pilots Federation NOT any of the super powers in existence at any one time. The Pilots Federation is what controls all spacfaring.... in ED Lore.. so it should be the one lore accepted location of Tionisla... and it keeps it all in one handy location.

Already we have drifting debris fields, derelict ships, thargoid damaged hulks... so most of the graphical eye-candy already exists... as does the Tionisla System which will neatly arch back to the 'Lore' of Robert Holdstock days..... the only thing I can think that is making David Braben/Frontier Development so reticent in using the Tionisla/original Elite story is Copyright/rights claims/gripes from one Ian Bell!!!

These systems are system-locked with permit requirements. Some people visiting these memorials may only be visiting Elite as well. It might be better to place these memorials in more accessible locations
Yes, please have at least one system that is not permit locked. Tionisla would be ideal.
My game play style means that I don't have Sol and the others unlocked (yet).

I like the idea and thank you for the offer FDEV.

It might be nice to use Tionisla though and Honour Robert Holdstock/Steven Eisler as well as the beloved people on the remembrance list.

After all he may have nothing to do with the current canon of the game but he created the Original canon and it would in my humble opinion be a good way to say thank you to his memory. Just as we the player base continue to thank Sir Braben and frontier developments for Elite Dangerous.

Respectfully Yours
Vger Starseed.

Last edited:
Everybody is different
Yes, and that should , for me , make it clear that you should do this in a special system and not in a often used system where people try to kill each other with spaceships .
I really appreciate the effort the devs make for this place. But I really love to see it as a special place where the heat of the game is not all around but where people can show their respect and relive their memories.
I have no idea what Tionisla is in the lore, but if it has a relation with rememberence, please use it.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom