Release EDSM - Elite Dangerous Star Map

Sometimes this is due to a mismatch in character encodings: it can happen if you open the journal file with a dumb text editor. The journal files should be in UTF-8.
Haven’t opened them, just trying to drag them across to “upload journal file” tab. Though EDD will have opened them.

Doh, need new spectacles!!! Been trying to upload wrong journal files! 😳

Last edited:
Hi everyone, sorry if this is the wrong thread for this, but maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

I was registered on EDSM, but every time I logged in, although it displayed my Commander name, it never contained any of my data. For example, my inventory was always listed as completely empty (no data or materials), my ranks were always at 0 %, and I apparently had no fleet and had visited no systems. I deleted my account and created a new one, using the Frontier Server as my log in, but it's still the same. Can someone help me out? I'd be much obliged.

Coni

Hi everyone, sorry if this is the wrong thread for this, but maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

I was registered on EDSM, but every time I logged in, although it displayed my Commander name, it never contained any of my data. For example, my inventory was always listed as completely empty (no data or materials), my ranks were always at 0 %, and I apparently had no fleet and had visited no systems. I deleted my account and created a new one, using the Frontier Server as my log in, but it's still the same. Can someone help me out? I'd be much obliged.

Coni
You have been using something like EDDiscovery to submit your data to EDSM?

I believe EDSM has no links to the Frontier servers, it just stores the data that players have reported to it

Last edited:
You have been using something like EDDiscovery to submit your data to EDSM?

I believe EDSM has no links to the Frontier servers, it just stores the data that players have reported to it
It depends if you're a console player or not. The console updater in the dashboard does pull data from Frontier for Xbox and Playstation users.

So I have linked my account with Frontier (console, Xbox), but my journal and profile data are all wrong. All of my ranks are incorrect and it is showing the wrong credit balance. Along with that my location and distance traveled are way off. Anyone around that can shed some light on this?

--Thanks in advance!

No, I haven't, I didn't realise I should, and I can't see anything on the EDSM websife about doing that, or how to do it. Any chance you could point me in the right direction? :confused:
According to @constvoid if you’re playing on on console (xbox or playstation) FD game data is pulled for you, but still not sure why it would be sent to EDSM. If you’re on PC it definitely isn’t. EDSM is a database with frontend query services. If you’re on PC then I’d recommend installing EDDiscovery which is a very useful tool for ED and amongst other things will download the latest EDSM system data for display and also upload your travel data and discoveries into EDSM. There are two versions; an exe version which runs in your C drive, or a “portable version” which you can install on another drive and keeps several Gb of EDSM data from clogging up the C drive. There’s a forum thread for EDDiscovery here (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/eddiscovery-journals-exploration-trading-voice-recognition-speech-star-maps-webserver.329643/page-43), and you can download EDD from github here (https://github.com/EDDiscovery/EDDiscovery/releases). If you have problems/queries on it then the best place is their Discord channel (https://discord.gg/uBq3UHq), since response on the forum thread has been a bit slow after the discord was introduced.

Come to think of it (breakfast coffee not yet kicked in) the Discord is probably the best place to raise your query if you are on console but cant get your data into EDSM. There is also an EDSM discord, for better response to queries on that; the link is on the EDSM site, but I seem to remember it’s a bit small and near the bottom of a page & not very obvious. Haven’t got it to hand.

Edit: there is a console-support thread on the EDSM discord server.

Last edited:
Can someone explain to me how the EDSM codex works. I have been meandering through the Hieronymous Delta and my scans get passed to EDSM by EDD - but in the EDSM Codex there is scant data, nothing from me and only 92 reported and 32 confirmed entries.

Do we have to do something specific to pass data to the EDSM Codex?

Can someone explain to me how the EDSM codex works. I have been meandering through the Hieronymous Delta and my scans get passed to EDSM by EDD - but in the EDSM Codex there is scant data, nothing from me and only 92 reported and 32 confirmed entries.

Do we have to do something specific to pass data to the EDSM Codex?
You’re likely to get a faster response to this sort of question on the EDSM discord server.

So I have linked my account with Frontier (console, Xbox), but my journal and profile data are all wrong. All of my ranks are incorrect and it is showing the wrong credit balance. Along with that my location and distance traveled are way off. Anyone around that can shed some light on this?

--Thanks in advance!
If you've only recently linked your account you may find it takes a while to get EDSM up to date. Frontier store about a month's journal data for consoles, and the EDSM console updater only pulls some of the data on each poll (perhaps to avoid overloading Frontier or EDSM). If you leave the updater running you should find that you eventually catch up.

Ah, there she goes. Nothing like a beautiful girl fluttering her eyes at you over breakfast to raise your spirits for the day! 😉

And....she’s gone again 😁

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who replied to my query - very much appreciated. I have been using EDDiscovery, but I find it gobbles up RAM and really slows my machine down. I'll try tinkering with EDSM settings and pop over to their Discord channel if I need more help, as suggested. Thank you all again.

hi all; new to EDSM and have a question; when using the route planner, it just shows one jump no matter the distance for instance, a route which I know takes 5 jumps @ 28ly jump range shows as a straight line; any ideas?

I've looked but cannot find any discussion on why I cannot search/filter on star luminosity in EDSM's Advanced Celestial Body search page. Is there some reason this has been left out as there is a pick list that partially includes it (e.g. I can select an A SuperGiant, but not an A Giant, and similar). Also there's appears to be some oddness between what EDSM thinks is Giant and what Gal-Map thinks is Giant and what Codex records as Giant. Can anyone point me to where that is being discussed?

Meanwhile, I'll keep manually search across 30odd pages of A stars for the string "II" to appear on the page... sigh

Top Bottom