Release EDDiscovery - Journals, Exploration, Trading, Voice Recognition/Speech, Star Maps, Webserver

Maybe there was some kind of problem caused by exiting while the DB was being built.
If you hold shift while double clicking the EDD icon a menu pops up. Click Delete/Rebuild System DB. Maybe this fixes it.
If this doesn't work search for a file named EDDsystem.sqlite (should be located in %LOCALAPPDATA%\EDDiscovery ) and simply delete it.

But the heavy usage of the SSD is something that can't be avoided without moving the DB to a hard disk (which will slow down everything that needs something from that DB). Items inside this DB are regulary updated, causing many read and write actions on the SSD. However if you don't need features of EDD that require EDSM's data you can deactivate the download of these data by unchecking 'sync from EDSM' in EDD's commanders settings.
Anmerkung 2020-03-27 022603_LI.jpg
 
Last edited:
Maybe there was some kind of problem caused by exiting while the DB was being built.
If you hold shift while double clicking the EDD icon a menu pops up. Click Delete/Rebuild System DB. Maybe this fixes it.
If this doesn't work search for a file named EDDsystem.sqlite (should be located in %LOCALAPPDATA%\EDDiscovery ) and simply delete it.

But the heavy usage of the SSD is something that can't be avoided without moving the DB to a hard disk (which will slow down everything that needs something from that DB). Items inside this DB are regulary updated, causing many read and write actions on the SSD. However if you don't need features of EDD that require EDSM's data you can deactivate the download of these data by unchecking 'sync from EDSM' in EDD's commanders settings.
View attachment 166903
Much appreciated Eahlstan, thank you. When you say "click the EDD icon", which icon do you mean?
 
Strange. Holding shift while clicking on the link in the start menu, on the desktop or the file in the actual folder should let this thing pop up:
Anmerkung 2020-03-27 031943.JPG
 
No, no menu at all I'm afraid.

It's been nearly 24 hours running now and the EDSM star database size is around 30 million and counting. I'll leave it for the day and see if it finally finishes (can anyone tell me what the final number is supposed to be? And does the app have to go through that huge database draw down every single time it runs?)

If it continues beyond another 24 hours I'll try a fresh install, and look at disabling some of the features that use the EDSM data. Thanks for your support Eahlstan.
 
Uhm, mine is 3,64 GB (3 918 594 048 bytes). EDDSystem.sqlite
While "EDSM systems update complete with 24626 systems"
Do you mean your DB is ~3.0 GB now (not 30Mb)?

If your db is only 30MB I think one of us should put up a copy of the 3.64GB file for you to download manually perhaps that would be quicker.
 
Uhm, mine is 3,64 GB (3 918 594 048 bytes). EDDSystem.sqlite
While "EDSM systems update complete with 24626 systems"
Do you mean your DB is ~3.0 GB now (not 30Mb)?

If your db is only 30MB I think one of us should put up a copy of the 3.64GB file for you to download manually perhaps that would be quicker.
Hi Panzertard. I mean the figure at the bottom of the EDD screen, beside "EDSM Star database updated", is over 30 million (now its at 31,280,000, and still rising). The EDDSystem.sqlite file is 9 GB.
I'm wondering what the Star database figure actually represents, and how high it can get to. If I'm going to have to wait more than another 24 hours for it to finish then it's really not worth it.
 
I think there may be some unfortunate optimizations with 11.3.1. It's the portable version btw.
I noticed it remaining very sluggish after startup, for a long time.
I then compared 11.3.0 with 11.3.1 (had a backup, the backup DB is untouched by 11.3.1) it's the same DB and entries, nothing else changed.

11.3.1 remains and hogs a core, ~12% average CPU (I've spent 10 mins preparing image & this post, it still remain up there and sluggish).
11.3.0 starts at 12% while loading entries, then drops to a 0.5% usage.


EDIT: After almost 10-15 minutes it has calmed down. Memory consumption is now at par for both versions. ~740MB for my instance.
While it was working (for the entire 10-15 mins) it stayed high.

Test 2
Tested it again, I was hoping the previous was an indexing operations.
Seeing the same behavior.

I hit 500-550MB quickly, steady high CPU. Now it crawls through the ~600MB mark, high CPU.
Until it gets to the end (at the ~740MB mark for me) of the loading it will remain High.

Intel i7@ 3.7Ghz, 32GB mem, SSD (nvme) .

Image:

I'll stay on 11.3.0 for now.
 
Last edited:
@Panzertard It'll be the Journal view you have in the background (5th tab) was hogging the CPU. If you select that tab it'll sort itself out in short order. I'm actively looking into resolving this.
 
Top Bottom