Release EDDI 3.3 - Bring your cockpit to life

Has anyone noticed since the update that sometimes EDDI doesnt respond to voice commands? It still gets triggered by in agme events but if I use a voice command nothing happens. Nothing comes up on VA log to say it recieved a voice command. Not sure if its VA or EDDI jsut wondering if anyone else has come across this? Normally I just reboot ED and all is well.
For a while now I've noticed that VA stops responding to voice commands after a certain period of time. I've not been able to measure exactly how long that time is though. I've tried going back to the EDDI default profile, and that seems to work, at least for a much longer time anyway. I also tried starting my profile again from scratch, using the EDDI default as a sub-profile (sorry, I can't remember the correct terminology right now), and that too works ok, until (it seems) I get to a certain amount of commands, then it begins to not respond again, and it's not very many that I add. I was hoping to use the EDDI default as a sub-profile, so that I don't have to make any changes when it gets updated, it would automatically use the new version.

To be honest, I've not really looked into it too deeply, as I don't really use voice commands very often, and I had other things in my life to get on with when I first noticed the problem. I was hoping that a VA or EDDI update would fix it, or that it was just my install that was playing up, but it does sound like you have exactly the same issue.

Try using just the EDDI default, I know it's not ideal, but as a test first. Then add a couple of your own commands and see how that goes. If it works, add a couple more. This is what I'm intending to do at some point, so I can get a better idea of what's going on.

For me, it seems to work for about 20-30 minutes before it stops resonding to my voice. However, as I don't use VA for anything else other than EDDI, I have no real way to say if it's EDDI causing it or not.

You should be able to see a response in VoiceAttack as it is trying to recognize your voice. If there is no response, there might be a problem with your microphone.

USB ports can enter a power saver mode that can cause them to become unresponsive. Check that your microphone is still working outside of VoiceAttack?

If voice recognition is working in VoiceAttack, you should be able to trigger commands unrelated to EDDI in VoiceAttack.

For this to be a problem with EDDI, VoiceAttack would need to be responsive to commands and either EDDI event commands (e.g. ((EDDI jumped))) would need to stop triggering or EDDI plugin commands would need to stop working.

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed since the update that sometimes EDDI doesnt respond to voice commands? It still gets triggered by in agme events but if I use a voice command nothing happens. Nothing comes up on VA log to say it recieved a voice command. Not sure if its VA or EDDI jsut wondering if anyone else has come across this? Normally I just reboot ED and all is well.
By default, VA hides an unrecognized command, so if your command is, Turn Lights On, but VA hears "Turn Fights On", it may not trigger, and you will not see what it DID recognize as incorrect.

To display anything you say, add a command to the catch-all Unrecognized Commands section of the Profile Options, and create a "non-command" that fires every time a command is unrecognized. This will let you see what was heard, and add additional phonetic similar words, or learn where you must enunciate more.

FTR, I used phonetically similar words that appear in the unrecognized catch-all to make sure certain commands fire the first time, every time, like this wildcard phrase to catch alternate versions of "Request Wind Check" for a flight simulator:
Code:
*requesting [a;] [wind;when] [check;jack];*request [a;] when [check;jack]
^Each time the phrase was unrecognized, I looked at what it THOUGHT I said, and added those words to my alternate wildcard command that calls the correct command I intended. More than once, it heard "wind" as "when", and "Check" as "jack", no matter how much I train my voice recognition engine, it's gonna have those issues. So I add them, and forget about it.

Example from my Voice Authorization System:

(edit: lol - just noticed this pic also shows example of my phonetic wildcard for the command "Approach Abort" - notice how many ways VA mis-hears me no matter how I enunciate it, and I have the "standard American" accent, the one most news people use on TV, one of the easier ones for VA, and still I have issues!)

Last edited:
When my VA plays up not responding, the controls also stop working, like the entire interface has stopped. I mean, I can click on Listen/Stop Listening, and the icon changes accordingly, however it never actually changes the control, with the tooltip still saying whatever setting it was last on before it fails. VA seems to be stuck in that mode. A quick restart and it's all back to normal for a while, until it decides to do it again. I've tried with just the EDDI default, and with a new profile, both seem to work fine for the time I've tested them. I only seem to get this problem when I've either added commands to the EDDI default, or added the default as a sub-profile to my own.

If I get some time over the weekend, I'm going to look into this more carefully, and see if I can determine what's causing my problem more accurately.

@BumbleB Forgot to note, you also might want to display Confidence Level in the log, too - enable this in Options, under the Recognition tab. This master level can also be adjusted here, and on the command level, to fine tune how VA hears and reacts to what you say. Combined with being able to see Unrecognized Commands in the log, you should be able to figure out any issue with command recognition:
unrecognizedVA3.PNG

edit: @Darkcyde I just updated my VA and EDDI to latest, ran my profile and many EDDI commands, they all seemed to work. Will leave it up today and see if it recreates your issue, too. It might just be you, but if anyone else has it, it's definitely a bug. Cheers!

Last edited:
When my VA plays up not responding, the controls also stop working, like the entire interface has stopped. I mean, I can click on Listen/Stop Listening, and the icon changes accordingly, however it never actually changes the control, with the tooltip still saying whatever setting it was last on before it fails. VA seems to be stuck in that mode. A quick restart and it's all back to normal for a while, until it decides to do it again. I've tried with just the EDDI default, and with a new profile, both seem to work fine for the time I've tested them. I only seem to get this problem when I've either added commands to the EDDI default, or added the default as a sub-profile to my own.

If I get some time over the weekend, I'm going to look into this more carefully, and see if I can determine what's causing my problem more accurately.
Sounds like something may be entering an infinite loop in your profile?

Sounds like something may be entering an infinite loop in your profile?
Hmm, I don't think I have anything like that. I'll take a look over, but I've not changed much in months now. I'll make a point of looking at this over the weekend, just to be sure though.

Stupid question.... If my VA profile calls an EDDI script that doesn't exist, would that cause any problems? Looking over my VA profile, I haven't found anything (so far) that looks like it could end up in an infinite loop, but because I've been rebuilding my EDDI personality from scratch, I've not yet put some scripts back in that I had before. There are a couple of parts of my VA profile that call these non-existent scripts, so I was wondering if this could be a cause of my problem?

EDIT: OK. I loaded up VA, opened the EDDI configuration window, and loaded up ED to the main menu. I then had to go help a friend for about 20 mins, and when I came back VA is no longer responding. I hadn't even loaded into game yet, and hadn't spoken any commands, in fact I have it left as 'Not listening' by default. The only thing my profile does on start-up, is to set a couple of state variables which it loads from a couple of files. This is very weird...

Last edited:
Stupid question.... If my VA profile calls an EDDI script that doesn't exist, would that cause any problems? Looking over my VA profile, I haven't found anything (so far) that looks like it could end up in an infinite loop, but because I've been rebuilding my EDDI personality from scratch, I've not yet put some scripts back in that I had before. There are a couple of parts of my VA profile that call these non-existent scripts, so I was wondering if this could be a cause of my problem?

EDIT: OK. I loaded up VA, opened the EDDI configuration window, and loaded up ED to the main menu. I then had to go help a friend for about 20 mins, and when I came back VA is no longer responding. I hadn't even loaded into game yet, and hadn't spoken any commands, in fact I have it left as 'Not listening' by default. The only thing my profile does on start-up, is to set a couple of state variables which it loads from a couple of files. This is very weird...
You might consider disabling plugins in VA Options and running a test to see if it happens for your profile if the EDDI plugin is not enabled. I don't think calling a non-existent script, especially for a disabled plugin, would cause this sort of lockup.

Doesn't seem like anything could be looping if you haven't even executed a command, and if your init is just setting a few variables.

Might not be related, but I've had a few 100% CPU load lockups leading to a hard reboot since the last MS update dropped. Currently monitoring with Task Manager to see if I can identify the source. When it happened, VA became unresponsive.

OK, today has been somewhat tedious. I've spent over 5 hours trying various configurations to determine what makes this go wrong. TLDR; Loading VA/EDDI before starting Elite is the cause, and only when the EDDI default is a sub-profile. This seems to be the only condition that guarantees making the problem happen.

For those interested, here's the notes I've been making throughout the day. In all cases, I do the load order, and leave the game at main menu. I then spent most of my time just watching YouTube on my second screen. After around ~30 minutes I then try the Listening/Not Listening VA control, and try speaking a command, either from my profile or the EDDI default...
Load VA/EDDI
Open EDDI Config
Load ED
Failed in ~20 mins.

Load VA with EDDI default
Open EDDI Config
Load ED
Still working after ~30 mins

Load VA with my profile
  • disabled link to EDDI default (sub-profile)
  • no startup command
Open EDDI Config.
Left ED loaded.

Load VA with my Darkcyde profile
  • reenabled startup command
Open EDDI Config.
Left ED loaded.

Load VA with my profile
  • reenabled link to EDDI default (sub-profile)
  • no startup command
Open EDDI Config.
Left ED loaded.

Load VA/EDDI
Open EDDI Config
Left ED loaded.

Back to the start, load all as per 1st try...
Failed after 33 mins.

Load VA/EDDI with plugins disabled
Load ED.
Still working after ~50 mins

Load VA with EDDI default
Open EDDI Config
Load ED

Load VA with EDDI default, but Darkcyde as a sub-profile.
Open EDDI Config
Load ED

Load VA/EDDI
Open EDDI Config
Left ED loaded. (trying this again)

So, by loading VA with my Darkcyde profile, with EDDI default as a sub-profile, and then starting Elite, I can guarantee it will fail somewhere before the 30 minute mark. However, if I leave Elite running and THEN load VA, it does not fail. If anyone has any ideas why this may be, I'd love to know.

I do have two other ideas to try. Load Elite rather than just leaving it running, then load VA as above. And try without using the VA 'send commands to target' option, which I currently have set as 'Elite - Dangerous (CLIENT)'. Sigh that's another hour of testing....

EDIT:- OK, so first test of loading Elite first, before loading VA/EDDI, is working fine after 35 minutes. Now for the command target testing...

EDIT 2:- Turning off the command target had no effect, VA/EDDI still became unresponsive after 30 minutes. I'm going to try no startup command, and no EDDI default as a sub-profile again, this time loading Elite after starting VA rather than leaving it loaded.

EDIT 3:- Disabling the start-up command had no effect. However, as predicted, having the EDDI default as a sub-profile, made VA fail again. For these, I changed the appropriate part, then closed and reloaded, to make sure the item was in effect when loading VA.
Load VA/EDDI
  • no startup command
Open EDDI Config.
Load ED.

Load VA/EDDI
  • reenabled startup command
Open EDDI Config.
Load ED.

Load VA/EDDI
  • reenabled link to EDDI default (sub-profile)
  • no startup command
Open EDDI Config.
Load ED.
Failed after 34 mins
I really want to try to figure this out, but it's getting late here now. I think tomorrow, I'll try creating a new, blank profile and linking the EDDI default into that, then run tests to see if it fails immediately, or after a certain number of commands added to it.

Last edited:
I've tested but I'm not replicating this issue (and I use EDDI.vap as a child profile in VoiceAttack similar to how you are describing).

There is nothing in EDDI that distinguishes in any way between VoiceAttack's primary profile and secondary profiles so if there is a performance difference it's very possibly something that is occurring on the VoiceAttack side.
How long has his been occurring and which version of VoiceAttack are you using?
If you are using a VoiceAttack beta version, have you tried rolling back to the VoiceAttack release version?

I'm using VA v1.7.8 (I've not used a beta for years), and it's been happening for months. However, because I rarely use it for voice commands (just loading and saving data), I normally just forget about it being a problem, it also means I don't know exactly when it started. It's only because others have said they are having problems that it's made me look deeper into mine.

It's a weird set of specific conditions that seem to make it fail, for me at least. The EDDI default has to be a child profile, and Elite has to be loaded after VA. If the EDDI profile isn't a child, or Elite is loaded first, the problem doesn't occur. I want to pin down the real cause, for my own personal curiosity if nothing else, but if it can help someone else with a similar 'not responding' problem, then great.

The biggest obstacle is the time it takes to have an effect. It's not instant, and takes at least 20 to 30 minutes before it fails. Right now, I'm just trying a blank profile, with EDDI default as a child. I've loaded VA and then Elite, so I'll see what happens in a little while.

Might not be related, but I've had a few 100% CPU load lockups leading to a hard reboot since the last MS update dropped. Currently monitoring with Task Manager to see if I can identify the source. When it happened, VA became unresponsive.
You want to monitor Event Viewer to find the source of a system crash/hang. Open Event Viewer, on the left panel, navigate to Windows Logs and check out System and Applications categories directly after you are forced to hard reboot. Take the Event ID and copy to Google and search - from there, it's a bit of a rabbit hole, but you should be able to find other people who have had similar errors, and possibly identify the offending application/service that is hanging up. Take those first steps, if you have further questions, feel free to ask!

Well, here's a little story update to my VA 'not responding' problem.

Yesterday, I had narrowed it down to one of two (or both) commands in my profile, but then I screwed up. I had been making a fresh copy of my profile for each test and deleting parts in a process of elimination, and I had got down to those last two commands.

However, I managed to forget to create a copy for these last two commands, and accidentally deleted them from the original profile itself, with no direct backup. Oops.

So I rebuilt them from a very old previous copy, and made what changes I could remember that I'd made since then. The two commands are simple 'update' commands that are called by game events, the ((EDDI ...)) commands, so it wasn't too hard to put them back.

However, since doing that, I can't make the damned thing fail anymore! So it seems that one (or both) were causing my problem, but why they were doing it, and more importantly, HOW they were doing it when they were not even being run (I'd only loaded to the game main menu), is beyond me. And now I'll never know.

I've duplicated the conditions for a few of the failed tests from Saturday and early Sunday, but none of them fail now. I'm mostly annoyed that I'll never figure out what was really going on; why commands that were never run, would cause VA to stop responding?

Well, maybe that entertained you for five minutes (yay!), or maybe wasted your five minutes (sorry), but I had to get that off my chest, so to speak. But, knowing my luck, it will start to happen again in a few days. That's just how my life goes. o_O:giggle:

o7 CMDR's

EDIT: Well, it turns out that it won't be the next few days, as it's happening again while playing now. Gah!!!

Last edited:
Hello !

I just installed EDDI and start discover this great tool ! Thanks for creating it ! :)

I just need it to get a few usefull info, like an extended COVAS :
  • "Arrival star is scoopable/ NOT scoopable" when I engage a jump
  • "X% fuel left" after a jump.
  • "Terraformable body" while FSSing.
  • "Painite detected" while mining,
This sorts of things : minimal talking, useful info.

Right now I lack some understanding of the "global picture" aka, how EDDI works, and I have the feeling it'll not be so easy but hey, nothing is unreeachable if you try hard enough right ?

For now, I was just wondering, about the (long) list of default scripts :
  • Why is there some grey scripts ?
  • Some item in the list have only a title and description but actually empty no scipts. Is that normal ? What is the point of that ?
Thank you guys if you can enlight me !!

The checkmarks that are checked but grayed-out are scripts that are dependents of another active script. If you disable the parent script(s) then they can be disabled as well. The empty scripts are functions that are available to be used but the default profile does not use them. The point is for users to make their own script if they want something spoken on that particular function.

Thanks you for your answer !
Actually I'm even more puzzled now ! :)

The checkmarks that are checked but grayed-out are scripts that are dependents of another active script. If you disable the parent script(s) then they can be disabled as well.
I made a duplicate of the personality and disabled everything that could be disabled. The greyed-out scripts are still greyed out and I canot disable them no matter what I do.
I'm puzzled because, by your explanation, I should be able to disable every script, shouldn't I ?

The empty scripts are functions that are available to be used but the default profile does not use them. The point is for users to make their own script if they want something spoken on that particular function.
OK so just to be super clear with making my own script in an empty script : is it the same as create a new "item" in the list and give it a name, a description and a script ? Except the name and the description are already there ?

Thanks !!

Okay.. Think of them as examples... Many of the events should be thought of as "triggers".. When the thing happens in game, the VoiceAttack command fires. The empty section can be populated with your own stuff so that when those things happen in game, you have a means to enact a change in your profile (without having to manually call a voice command instead)

They are greyed out because you don't need to say, for example, EDDI Jumped, for the command to fire - they are functions, and them being greyed out does not mean they are not active and working - but if they have an empty section for what happens when they fire, then the are not doing anything and are there for you to write your own stuff.

EDDI is a major part of my Voice Commands profile for Elite Dangerous, but are only 75 out of the 360 voice commands and functions in my profile.

I track several things with my voice profile, and set them to variables that I can save to my profile. This way, I can load into the game, and VoiceAttack knows if I am docked or not, and therefore knows the state of the landing gear, and other useful things. My "Deploy Landing Gear", for example, has a simple check to see if it's already deployed so that the command "Deploy" cannot possibly "retract" gear that is already deployed (both commands just press the Gear key, so is indifferent to whether the gear is already down).

A great way to not let my profile ever lose track of this fact, such as leaving the game and coming back, would be to run checks via triggers - if I'm jumping from star to star, my landing gear can't be down, right? So would be acceptable to run a little script to reset a few variables like "Gear_Down=True" to "Gear_Down=False" (just examples, make up some word for a boolean variable, and make a command to raise/lower gear, and after pressing the in-game key, set your variable to either true or false as appropriate)

And the way this all can fire would be a command like, "Reset custom variables", or something - but instead of calling that by voice every time you jump, you can use the EDDI Events like ((EDDI jumped)) which fires every time you engage your frame shift drive and "jump".

EDDI lets us build our own voice control profiles with a lot of access to the in-game events through the API that EDDI has access to. Many of us like to create voice control profiles to do some advanced things, and without EDDI events, they would be limited to manual activation by voice, or maybe saved hotkeys. Some people just want to download and work with a voice control profile that is already created, and there are a lot of great ones out there (my own will be released publicly pretty soon).

Here's an example of my profile's category headers, heavily dependent on EDDI, rebuilt this year for Chapter 4, but a work of 4 years:

...the rabbit hole just keeps getting deeper, my friend! EDDI is the white rabbit, and VoiceAttack is the door. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom