Release EDDI 3.3 - Bring your cockpit to life

One might expect that the PDBs (debug symbol databases) could be reproduced verbatim by recompiling the source code from the exact same Git tag, but in practice the many variations in compiler version and environment, let alone security mitigations, have long ago made that a thing of the past among compiler vendors.

Hence, each build gets its own UUID which is used to tie back to the relevant PDB files.

Thus, we need to upload our PDBs together with our build, if we want to let software such as VA interpret any debug info.

Good to know...

However, I've been using EDDI with VA and 2 HCS voicepacks for several years now and currently have no issues.

I do use the basic unedited default EDDI installation and stopped creating new personalities a few versions back. I have an Exploration and Multi-purpose personality, but the only changes are which boxes are unchecked from the default. I don't edit any scripts or otherwise vary from the default as I find the tight integration between the voice pack and EDDI works so well that I don't want to mess it up. I stay within my limits, which are considerable when it comes to programming.

My hunch is that current reported issues are from editing errors and not grounded in either EDDI or VA based on my experience of only running the baseline default scripts in EDDI.

HTH

I'll run the EDDI default personality for a bit to see if anything pops up.

I have a question regarding Voice Attack and comms chat. Voice Attack is showing player chat and I assume its from EDDI? If so, where can I turn that off? Thanks!

I have a question regarding Voice Attack and comms chat. Voice Attack is showing player chat and I assume its from EDDI? If so, where can I turn that off? Thanks!
I'm assuming you mean that the in-game comms chat is appearing in the VoiceAttack log window? I'm not aware of any command in the default EDDI VA profile that might do that. Are you using a custom VA profile? If so, is there a command called ((EDDI message received)) in it? I would guess that may be doing it, if there is one, as 'Message received' is the event in EDDI that deals with comms, and a corresponding ((EDDI message received)) command in VA would be the most likely culprit.

Yes. That is what I mean. I am using HCS and EDDI.I turned off the "message received" response from the AI...but I think there was a greyed out checkbox I couldn't get to.

EDIT: So on the Speech Responder tab I turned off "Message Received" and "Message Sent". Is there a way to turn off the messages being posted to VA?

Edit 2: I asked in the HCS discord. Its on their end. Its from the Alpha for testing purposes. It will go away at full launch. Thanks!

Last edited:
Is there an event when {TXT: Status gui focus} changes?

If not, can I request it?
IIRC there is no event for this because events are based on state changes that are logged by the FD API or something like that. Because this system does not track minor things such as GUI focus, or cursor position, etc. there would be no way to create a triggered event based on these things. I would love to be mistaken here, but this is my understanding of how EDDI works regarding events.

Is there an event when {TXT: Status gui focus} changes?

If not, can I request it?

IIRC there is no event for this because events are based on state changes that are logged by the FD API or something like that. Because this system does not track minor things such as GUI focus, or cursor position, etc. there would be no way to create a triggered event based on these things. I would love to be mistaken here, but this is my understanding of how EDDI works regarding events.
No, it is possible to do this... the primary constraint is just developer time.
I'm also a little concerned that the proposed event could get a little spammy if you look around a lot.

@22gi Could you create a ticket for this request on Github and tell us a little more about the problems that this change could help resolve?

Will there be any changes to the personality copy? There are some things in there that after copying the base personality to make a new one (Speech Responder), you still cannot disable (such as reminding me about limpets - I know I don't have any!) and other things. We can edit what is said, but we can't just disable it. Maybe I am missing something that would allow me to turn off the ones greyed out?

Great, great tool to have by the way for this game. Thank you for making EDDI.

Will there be any changes to the personality copy? There are some things in there that after copying the base personality to make a new one (Speech Responder), you still cannot disable (such as reminding me about limpets - I know I don't have any!) and other things. We can edit what is said, but we can't just disable it. Maybe I am missing something that would allow me to turn off the ones greyed out?

Great, great tool to have by the way for this game. Thank you for making EDDI.
The greyed out ones are invoked scripts - they cannot be disabled because they are never triggered by events.
You can either edit the invoking script (Undocked for limpet checks) or edit the Limpet check script itself.

On Crowdin, how do i know if a word is a label/description in the EDDI UI or spoken by the voice assistant?
A good question, and I don't have a simple answer. In general the file name gives a clue. For example MainWindow.resx is pure UI whereas Phrases.resx is pure speech, as is all the stuff in DataDefinitions. I hope this helps a little.

Thanks.

Another bunch of questions:
  1. Crowdin: i'd like to see the italian localization at 100% :D so: do the "strings" in phonetics.resx needs to be localized? i see that the spanish have them copied, but i don't get why they should be localized.
  2. EDDI: i would like to play with the Effects engine (i don't recall its name right now, but i saw it in the sources), but i was not able to find anything ready to try it. There's any chance that something already compiled exists to play with? Or command-line parameters for EDDI? a personal/rpivate EDDI build?
  3. If not, as i've never worked with C#, what should i install to compile EDDI locally just to play with the sound effects engine?

2. EDDI: i would like to play with the Effects engine (i don't recall its name right now, but i saw it in the sources), but i was not able to find anything ready to try it. There's any chance that something already compiled exists to play with? Or command-line parameters for EDDI? a personal/rpivate EDDI build?
If I understand what you're looking for, then there is some info in the Help pages. There are commands for processing EDDI output:
Emphasize()
SpeechPitch()
SpeechRate()
SpeechVolume()
Transmit()
Voice()

The Help button in any EDDI script has more details on how to use these. :) A long time ago, I played around with using them to make unique voices for 'Message received'. While it did work OK, it was just a little too slow in processing for my liking, but you may find it's fine for you. :)

If I understand what you're looking for, then there is some info in the Help pages. There are commands for processing EDDI output:
Emphasize()
SpeechPitch()
SpeechRate()
SpeechVolume()
Transmit()
Voice()

The Help button in any EDDI script has more details on how to use these. :) A long time ago, I played around with using them to make unique voices for 'Message received'. While it did work OK, it was just a little too slow in processing for my liking, but you may find it's fine for you. :)
Nope, i'd like to play with the multieffect parameters of the effects engine and see what i could make with it.

I'm finding a problem with "Next system" variables: specifically, I'm finding that they're not actually updated as soon as next jump system on the Galaxy Map is selected; in fact it usually takes several seconds. Not the end of the world, but a bit of a nuisance when I want my VA "Jump" macro to know if the next star is a fuel star or not. Is there something I can do to force "Next system main star stellar class" in particular, to update more rapidly?

It's ok, I fixed it.......I think. I just added a Loop at the beginning of the macro so it can't proceed while the variable is blank. The seems to have the added benefit of forcing the variable to update.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Another bunch of questions:
  1. Crowdin: i'd like to see the italian localization at 100% :D so: do the "strings" in phonetics.resx needs to be localized? i see that the spanish have them copied, but i don't get why they should be localized.
  3. If not, as i've never worked with C#, what should i install to compile EDDI locally just to play with the sound effects engine?
1. As you can see they are in IPA so in general there's no need, unless you wish to make the pronunciations of names like "kappa fornacis" sound more "Italian". That's up to you.
2. I've never really interacted with the sound FX code. It's all in the project EddiSpeechService and uses a third-party module called CSCore. Now you know as much as I do :cool:
3. Visual Studio 2019 Community Edition. You could tinker with the code in EDDI but it comes with a lot of baggage. It might be easier to start with CSCore's sample projects instead.

Hope this helps!

🥳 🥳 🥳 We're pleased to announce that EDDI version 4.0.0-b1 is now available for all users, either from the in-app upgrade or from here. The full change log is available here.

A few notes:
  • In addition to various bug fixes and quality of life improvements, this update brings basic compatibility with the new Odyssey update. There are additional journal events and new data definitions yet to be implemented. Full implementation will take time.
  • There is a known bug where haggling mission rewards in Odyssey triggers a MissionAccepted journal event. We have requested an update to correct this but it likely won't be resolved prior to the Odyssey release.
  • We've made a change to the formatting for personality script files to enable sorting by priority level. Unfortunately, the change is not backwards compatible. Please consider backing up your personality script prior to updating.

🥳 🥳 🥳 We're pleased to announce that EDDI version 4.0.0-b1 is now available for all users, either from the in-app upgrade or from here. The full change log is available here.

A few notes:
  • In addition to various bug fixes and quality of life improvements, this update brings basic compatibility with the new Odyssey update. There are additional journal events and new data definitions yet to be implemented. Full implementation will take time.
  • There is a known bug where haggling mission rewards in Odyssey triggers a MissionAccepted journal event. We have requested an update to correct this but it likely won't be resolved prior to the Odyssey release.
  • We've made a change to the formatting for personality script files to enable sorting by priority level. Unfortunately, the change is not backwards compatible. Please consider backing up your personality script prior to updating.
Getting some script error that voice is reporting. I can't quite make it out yet, but sounds like an engineer script error. I get it every time I jump to a system and honk.

I'll see if I can make it out the next time I can actually stay connected. :p

Top Bottom