Release EDDI 3.3 - Bring your cockpit to life

Would somebody be able to kindly give me a clue about what all these [Warning] Timeout entries are in my EDDI log ?

Code:
2021-04-20T04:32:57 [Info] EDDI:eventLocation Location StarSystem: Tsondama
2021-04-20T04:38:12 [Warning] Net:GetResponse Failed to obtain response, error code Timeout
2021-04-20T04:41:01 [Info] EDDI:eventJumped Jumped to Cupinook
2021-04-20T04:46:34 [Warning] Net:GetResponse Failed to obtain response, error code Timeout
2021-04-20T04:51:28 [Warning] Net:GetResponse Failed to obtain response, error code Timeout
2021-04-20T04:57:54 [Warning] Net:GetResponse Failed to obtain response, error code Timeout
2021-04-20T04:58:10 [Warning] Net:GetResponse Failed to obtain response, error code Timeout
2021-04-20T05:01:22 [Warning] Net:GetResponse Failed to obtain response, error code Timeout
2021-04-20T05:14:06 [Warning] Net:GetResponse Failed to obtain response, error code Timeout
2021-04-20T05:19:47 [Warning] Net:GetResponse Failed to obtain response, error code Timeout
2021-04-20T05:21:24 [Info] EDDI:eventJumped Jumped to Tsondama

Is this possibly something to do with the Elite Dangerous Star Map EDSM server not responding ?

For some reason my EDDI Crime Monitor has stopped working properly. It enters bounty values but no other details:

eddi-crime-monitor.jpg

Can anybody suggest the reason why? Should I uninstall EDDI and do a clean reinstall ?

For some reason my EDDI Crime Monitor has stopped working properly. It enters bounty values but no other details:

View attachment 221760

Can anybody suggest the reason why? Should I uninstall EDDI and do a clean reinstall ?
Funny you should say that, mine has been doing that for a little while too. Each bounty I earn has had it's own separate entry, just like yours. I've been a bit busy with other things, so hadn't got around to reporting/asking about it. I'm going bounty hunting later, so I'll see what happens tonight.

Would somebody be able to kindly give me a clue about what all these [Warning] Timeout entries are in my EDDI log ?

Code:
2021-04-20T04:32:57 [Info] EDDI:eventLocation Location StarSystem: Tsondama
2021-04-20T04:38:12 [Warning] Net:GetResponse Failed to obtain response, error code Timeout
2021-04-20T04:41:01 [Info] EDDI:eventJumped Jumped to Cupinook
2021-04-20T04:46:34 [Warning] Net:GetResponse Failed to obtain response, error code Timeout
2021-04-20T04:51:28 [Warning] Net:GetResponse Failed to obtain response, error code Timeout
2021-04-20T04:57:54 [Warning] Net:GetResponse Failed to obtain response, error code Timeout
2021-04-20T04:58:10 [Warning] Net:GetResponse Failed to obtain response, error code Timeout
2021-04-20T05:01:22 [Warning] Net:GetResponse Failed to obtain response, error code Timeout
2021-04-20T05:14:06 [Warning] Net:GetResponse Failed to obtain response, error code Timeout
2021-04-20T05:19:47 [Warning] Net:GetResponse Failed to obtain response, error code Timeout
2021-04-20T05:21:24 [Info] EDDI:eventJumped Jumped to Tsondama

Is this possibly something to do with the Elite Dangerous Star Map EDSM server not responding ?
One of the servers that EDDI is configured to use to retrieve some data about stations was destroyed by a fire last month. The server was not recoverable.

We'll be removing the code attempting to access the server on the next release.

Funny you should say that, mine has been doing that for a little while too. Each bounty I earn has had it's own separate entry, just like yours. I've been a bit busy with other things, so hadn't got around to reporting/asking about it. I'm going bounty hunting later, so I'll see what happens tonight.

Same here

I don't use it and usually just remove the entries once in a while
The journal output is occasionally lacking, leaving us with insufficient information to properly update the Crime Monitor.
JSON:
{ "timestamp":"2021-04-09T17:22:05Z", "event":"RedeemVoucher", "Type":"bounty", "Amount":45840, "Factions":[ { "Faction":"", "Amount":45390 }, { "Faction":"", "Amount":150 }, { "Faction":"", "Amount":300 } ], "BrokerPercentage":25.000000 }
Note the empty faction names.

Until the journal output is corrected, I'm afraid that the Crime Monitor will tend to drift and become less accurate over time if not actively maintained by the commander.

One of the servers that EDDI is configured to use to retrieve some data about stations was destroyed by a fire last month. The server was not recoverable.

That's why my hosting company is now co-located with hourly synch

99.9% uptime. We essentially run continuous backup and rotate the live location quarterly to do routine maintenance. Backup batteries can hold for over 3 hours and switching the live hosting location only takes a minute or 2.

Adding Natural gas backup generator(s) in the fall. Locations are 300 miles apart and use high speed fiber optic ISP connections.

All for $10/month per account

Send me a pm if you want more info

The journal output is occasionally lacking, leaving us with insufficient information to properly update the Crime Monitor.
JSON:
{ "timestamp":"2021-04-09T17:22:05Z", "event":"RedeemVoucher", "Type":"bounty", "Amount":45840, "Factions":[ { "Faction":"", "Amount":45390 }, { "Faction":"", "Amount":150 }, { "Faction":"", "Amount":300 } ], "BrokerPercentage":25.000000 }
Note the empty faction names.

Until the journal output is corrected, I'm afraid that the Crime Monitor will tend to drift and become less accurate over time if not actively maintained by the commander.
OK, so I've gone out to do more bounty hunting for the CG and the bounties are still not being recorded properly....
1619028731384.png

However, the Journal is reporting a faction...
Code:
{ "timestamp":"2021-04-21T18:06:33Z", "event":"Bounty", "Rewards":[ { "Faction":"The Razor Whips", "Reward":56650 } ], "Target":"vulture", "TotalReward":56650, "VictimFaction":"The Razor Whips" }
{ "timestamp":"2021-04-21T18:07:16Z", "event":"Bounty", "Rewards":[ { "Faction":"The Razor Whips", "Reward":123837 } ], "Target":"typex", "Target_Localised":"Alliance Chieftain", "TotalReward":123837, "VictimFaction":"The Razor Whips" }

As you can see, the reward amounts match the entries, and the faction section states "The Razor Whips". It would appear that there is something going wrong somewhere. Would you like me to open a ticket regarding this?

OK, so I've gone out to do more bounty hunting for the CG and the bounties are still not being recorded properly....

However, the Journal is reporting a faction...
Code:
{ "timestamp":"2021-04-21T18:06:33Z", "event":"Bounty", "Rewards":[ { "Faction":"The Razor Whips", "Reward":56650 } ], "Target":"vulture", "TotalReward":56650, "VictimFaction":"The Razor Whips" }
{ "timestamp":"2021-04-21T18:07:16Z", "event":"Bounty", "Rewards":[ { "Faction":"The Razor Whips", "Reward":123837 } ], "Target":"typex", "Target_Localised":"Alliance Chieftain", "TotalReward":123837, "VictimFaction":"The Razor Whips" }

As you can see, the reward amounts match the entries, and the faction section states "The Razor Whips". It would appear that there is something going wrong somewhere. Would you like me to open a ticket regarding this?
Interesting.
Please open a ticket for this with the applicable eddi.log from your play session and crimemonitor.json (both files located at %appdata%/EDDI).

Last edited:

Additionally I will be bringing the relevant server back up into a good default state as and when I get time.

Excuse me for providing a service for free, one that defaults to a good state when unavailable.

It may surprise you, but my efforts for ED are a part-time hobby and not some sort of paid-for 100% service.

Additionally I will be bringing the relevant server back up into a good default state as and when I get time.

Excuse me for providing a service for free, one that defaults to a good state when unavailable.

It may surprise you, but my efforts for ED are a part-time hobby and not some sort of paid-for 100% service.
@VerticalBlank and @T'kael please do not think that your efforts in maintaining and improving the EDDI player tool go unnoticed or unappreciated. In fact the very opposite is in fact the case.

Elite Dangerous would be my favourite PC game of all time. EDDI adds so much useful voiced information to the experience that, for me, playing without it feels lonely, like leaving your co-pilot at home. It is a most essential add-on that is superior to other similar $paid offerings like the HCS Voice Packs, which I found to be quite corny and not very helpful.

I congratulate and thank you for the work you put in maintaining and improving EDDI. Also, noting that you do this as a part-time hobby, can I suggest you might add the option to "Donate" on GitHub? I would certainly be willing to do so.

@VerticalBlank and @T'kael please do not think that your efforts in maintaining and improving the EDDI player tool go unnoticed or unappreciated. In fact the very opposite is in fact the case.

Elite Dangerous would be my favourite PC game of all time. EDDI adds so much useful voiced information to the experience that, for me, playing without it feels lonely, like leaving your co-pilot at home. It is a most essential add-on that is superior to other similar $paid offerings like the HCS Voice Packs, which I found to be quite corny and not very helpful.

I congratulate and thank you for the work you put in maintaining and improving EDDI. Also, noting that you do this as a part-time hobby, can I suggest you might add the option to "Donate" on GitHub? I would certainly be willing to do so.
I wholeheartedly agree. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for maintaining and continually improving EDDI these last few years since jgm stopped doing it. I love being able to write scripts to do things and make EDDI my own unique personality for Elite. Without it, I certainly wouldn't enjoy Elite half as much. Thank you for the opportunity to do that.

Additionally, being 70% blind, EDDI's reporting of information is invaluable to me. As I can't see the whole screen at once, I miss the things that go on around the edges, like comms messages, bounty rewards, or when I become wanted. Without EDDI informing me of these, I'd never know. I can tell you, recently being told by EDDI I had just gained a fine in the middle of combat (by accidentally hitting a friendly ship too much, a hazard of my eyesight) I was able to bug out sooner and only take minimal damage, rather then get my butt handed to me. ;)

Thanks again @T'kael and @VerticalBlank. While it goes unsaid most of the time, I am sure that every single user of EDDI greatly appreciates all of your efforts in maintaining it. Don't ever think otherwise. (y)☺️

I have question that I'm hoping someone can help with. While I've been out collecting Guardian items for this weeks CG, I've had EDDI/VA crash on me a few times. It seems to happen when I target my own ship while in my SRV, but it doesn't always happen. Sometimes I can target it a dozen times with no ill effect, but then I can do it and it crashes on the first one after log in.

There is an error in the eddi.log about an unhandled exception, which seems to be the culprit. See attached log.

I've not yet tried this with the default personality, mainly because it's so random, and I can't seem to make it happen when I want to. I will try with the default tomorrow, and also without VA, but looking at the error, it it seems it may be VA related? Also, I'm not sure if it's worth creating a ticket on GitHub just yet, I thought I'd get some opinions first.

Attachments

• eddi1.log
    10 KB · Views: 14
I have question that I'm hoping someone can help with. While I've been out collecting Guardian items for this weeks CG, I've had EDDI/VA crash on me a few times. It seems to happen when I target my own ship while in my SRV, but it doesn't always happen. Sometimes I can target it a dozen times with no ill effect, but then I can do it and it crashes on the first one after log in.

There is an error in the eddi.log about an unhandled exception, which seems to be the culprit. See attached log.

I've not yet tried this with the default personality, mainly because it's so random, and I can't seem to make it happen when I want to. I will try with the default tomorrow, and also without VA, but looking at the error, it it seems it may be VA related? Also, I'm not sure if it's worth creating a ticket on GitHub just yet, I thought I'd get some opinions first.
I don't think it's EDDI. The stack trace is referencing VoiceAttack methods. You might want to run some tests to determine if the issue is specific to how you've set up your VoiceAttack profile.

I don't think it's EDDI. The stack trace is referencing VoiceAttack methods. You might want to run some tests to determine if the issue is specific to how you've set up your VoiceAttack profile.
Thanks T'kael. I wasn't sure if it was actually EDDI or VA crashing. I only noticed it when EDDI faded out the "Your target is clean" speech (from my personality) when it shutdown on targeting my ship, so that led me to think it might have been EDDI. However, the eddi.log does seem to suggest it shuts down cleanly after the unhandled exception, which made me wonder if it was really VA that had crashed.

As I don't really know VA very well, most of my VA commands are pretty basic. In this case, my ((EDDI ship targeted)) command simply checks a couple of EDDI state variables, and if their conditions are met, it presses the 'cycle next subsystem' key. This works perfectly when targeting other ships, but randomly crashes when I target my own ship. It's part of my 'auto-select a wanted ship's subsystem' code. Maybe the circular coding is the problem. When I target a ship (EDDI event 'ship targeted'), if it's wanted, then I set some variables for the VA command. It then goes back and forth between EDDI and VA (as the cycle next subsystem triggers the EDDI event again) until the chosen subsystem is selected, or all subsystems have been cycled through.

I'll have a play around with it today. I'm really not sure what I'd be looking for in VA to trace the problem though. I might see if I can move all my 'auto-target' code over to VA, so there's no back and forth anymore, and see if that helps. Still, it doesn't happen all the time, and only when I target my own ship, which I'm not going to be doing very often. If I can't figure it out, I'll just have to live with it.

EDIT: Well, I couldn't move my code to VA as I still need EDDI to set up the variables. Instead, I've added a 0.1 second pause at the start of the VA command to delay it a fraction of a second, as I wondered if it may be a timing issue, and so far I've not had it happen again after playing all day. So, hopefully that small delay has fixed my problem. :)

Last edited:
Thanks T'kael. I wasn't sure if it was actually EDDI or VA crashing. I only noticed it when EDDI faded out the "Your target is clean" speech (from my personality) when it shutdown on targeting my ship, so that led me to think it might have been EDDI. However, the eddi.log does seem to suggest it shuts down cleanly after the unhandled exception, which made me wonder if it was really VA that had crashed.

As I don't really know VA very well, most of my VA commands are pretty basic. In this case, my ((EDDI ship targeted)) command simply checks a couple of EDDI state variables, and if their conditions are met, it presses the 'cycle next subsystem' key. This works perfectly when targeting other ships, but randomly crashes when I target my own ship. It's part of my 'auto-select a wanted ship's subsystem' code. Maybe the circular coding is the problem. When I target a ship (EDDI event 'ship targeted'), if it's wanted, then I set some variables for the VA command. It then goes back and forth between EDDI and VA (as the cycle next subsystem triggers the EDDI event again) until the chosen subsystem is selected, or all subsystems have been cycled through.

I'll have a play around with it today. I'm really not sure what I'd be looking for in VA to trace the problem though. I might see if I can move all my 'auto-target' code over to VA, so there's no back and forth anymore, and see if that helps. Still, it doesn't happen all the time, and only when I target my own ship, which I'm not going to be doing very often. If I can't figure it out, I'll just have to live with it.
If you find yourself having to "just live with it", I suggest using a crash monitor that can restart VA to your EDDI/ED profile so that you don't find yourself saying commands over and over only to realize that VA is not running. I wrote a simple tool in Powershell that can be turned into an ".exe" with a custom icon, using something like PS2EXE-GUI. I use this crash monitor tool daily, since I develop profiles for VA and mistakes can happen on my end causing instability OR the fact that I have an always-on PC and leave VA in an always-on state for weeks on end.

I also use high UAC (user account control) settings in Windows, and I need to run VoiceAttack as Administrator, so I use a Windows Task method to launch VA as Admin and bypass the screen-black forced "yes/no" pop-up by UAC. I'll link both below, any questions, send me a private message and I'd be happy to help!

VoiceAttack Crash Monitor - Powershell example
Pastebin Post: Monitor VoiceAttack for Crash and Restart as Admin with UAC at High via Scheduled Task
*(to be clear - this code example would need to be modified per user, shown here launching VA via a task on my pc using the method below)

VoiceAttack Launch Method - Run as Admin under High UAC settings with no UAC prompt
VA Forums Topic: How to Launch VoiceAttack as Admin with no UAC prompt - Task Method

Last edited:
If you find yourself having to "just live with it", I suggest using a crash monitor that can restart VA to your EDDI/ED profile so that you don't find yourself saying commands over and over only to realize that VA is not running. I wrote a simple tool in Powershell that can be turned into an ".exe" with a custom icon, using something like PS2EXE-GUI. I use this crash monitor tool daily, since I develop profiles for VA and mistakes can happen on my end causing instability OR the fact that I have an always-on PC and leave VA in an always-on state for weeks on end.

I also use high UAC (user account control) settings in Windows, and I need to run VoiceAttack as Administrator, so I use a Windows Task method to launch VA as Admin and bypass the screen-black forced "yes/no" pop-up by UAC. I'll link both below, any questions, send me a private message and I'd be happy to help!

VoiceAttack Crash Monitor - Powershell example
Pastebin Post: Monitor VoiceAttack for Crash and Restart as Admin with UAC at High via Scheduled Task
*(to be clear - this code example would need to be modified per user, shown here launching VA via a task on my pc using the method below)

VoiceAttack Launch Method - Run as Admin under High UAC settings with no UAC prompt
VA Forums Topic: How to Launch VoiceAttack as Admin with no UAC prompt - Task Method
Thanks for the info. I might have to look into those. :)
Although, for now, as per my edit to my post, I think I've found a way around it crashing for the moment.

For reference, the reason that every release of EDDI has a mysterious PDBs.zip file attached on GitHub, is that it provides debug symbols for apps that use EDDI as plugin (currently that is only VoiceAttack).

So if you are ever in touch with VA devs about any kind of crash report concerning EDDI, please point them to those PDBs.zip files. They will certainly thank you.

One might expect that the PDBs (debug symbol databases) could be reproduced verbatim by recompiling the source code from the exact same Git tag, but in practice the many variations in compiler version and environment, let alone security mitigations, have long ago made that a thing of the past among compiler vendors.

Hence, each build gets its own UUID which is used to tie back to the relevant PDB files.

Thus, we need to upload our PDBs together with our build, if we want to let software such as VA interpret any debug info.

Last edited:
Top Bottom