Release EDDI 3.3 - Bring your cockpit to life

Hi all,

How can I disable the TTS from speaking what ever text is in the local chat?
Hi Meridian,

If you haven't already, you will first need to make a copy of the default EDDI personality. Go to the 'Speech Responder' tab and click the 'Copy personality' button to create a version you can edit.

Next, scroll down to the 'Message Received' event script in the 'Speech Responder' tab. This is where you can change what messages EDDI reads out to you. The instructions are at the top of the script, but basically you will just need to change line 13, where it says "local": true, and make it "local": false,.

Bear in mind that this will stop ALL chat in the local channel. If you want only some types of chat to be stopped, then you can change the settings in the 'Sources' section of the script instead. So from line 23 onwards.

Hope that helps! :)

-=] Darkcyde [=-

We are aware of a problem whereby the process of logging on to the Frontier API ends up with an alert about EDDI being already running rather than completing as designed.

In effect, we asked to be called back upon OAuth completion, on our custom eddi:\\ protocol but for some reason the OS is trying to launch a new instance of EDDI rather than calling back to the existing one. We are attempting to narrow down exacly what went wrong there.

Last edited:
EDDI will update itself ? Or do we need to download and run the latest release *.exe file from github ?
In general, yes, when EDDI detects that an update is available it will give you a voice notification and enable a button on the "EDDI" tab of the UI that will automate the download and update for you. You may of course be asked to give it permission depending on your UAC settings.

That said, EDDI will only offer beta versions to you if you check the box "Access beta versions of EDDI" on the "EDDI" tab.

We are please to announce that EDDI version 3.5.3-b3 is now available, either in the app or here. The full change log is available here. This release contains several bug fixes and optimizations, updates a number of crime and mission monitor related scripts, and updates the community translation of the default personality for the Brazilian Portuguese localization. 🙂

I've been getting "I could not connect to my update server ... If this recurs please refer to the forum to see if it is a known problem" every time I start EDDI - either through VA or directly - tried updating to 3.5.3-b3 but no change... Not sure if this is 'the forum' to which the message referrs!

Also, as a note, it might be better if the message was "EDDI could not connect to my update server" - as when running through VA I wasn't sure if it was EDDI or VA giving me the message...

I've been getting "I could not connect to my update server ... If this recurs please refer to the forum to see if it is a known problem" every time I start EDDI - either through VA or directly - tried updating to 3.5.3-b3 but no change... Not sure if this is 'the forum' to which the message referrs!

Also, as a note, it might be better if the message was "EDDI could not connect to my update server" - as when running through VA I wasn't sure if it was EDDI or VA giving me the message...
Thanks for the report and yes this is the right place. This would have been due to a termporary inability to reach the server on GitHub. Please try again and let us know if it is still a problem.

Good call re making the message more specific, we'll make that change.

Hello, is there a way I can get the current jump range to use in a voiceattack script ? I couldn't find that in the doc.
First, check out the EDDI Git Hub Wiki -- lots of information there -- link in VerticleBlank's sig, bottom left link

So, this is a slightly more advanced use of EDDI in VoiceAttack, but should be simple to understand with a pic, provided you cross reference with the GitHub EDDI Wiki - particularly the page dealing with VoiceAttack (click here) and also the page dealing with EDDI Events (click here)

You first set a parameter variable (a VA Text Variable) to one of the required parameters of the 'jumpdetails' plugin function, in this case we use 'next', then you execute the EDDI plugin (providing this variable) and then gather the info provided (in this case, a decimal variable of the distance possible for the next jump). Then we can access this info in any way we want, just refer to {DEC:Ship jump detail distance}

In the example below, I have made this command into an EDDI Event Trigger -- just for helping you understand what could be done here -- whenever the FSD is engaged, it will check the distance of the next jump, and using TTS, will say, "Next jump distance is {DEC:Ship jump detail distance} light years." where the decimal is replaced by EDDI:
**(picture edited, trigger event was bad example of usage)

The example shows a voice command requesting info on the current (mass adjusted) range possible for the next jump, using the return VA token provided by EDDI for the TTS phrase:
eddiPluginFunctionExample.PNG

*(@eddi, if I got something wrong here, please let me know and I'll edit/correct it - I actually can't fire up this example command for a test to be sure, so I'm counting on 5+ years of experience working with ED/EDDI/VA)

**(this is just an example, and could be improved in many ways including redundant checks for valid return information (not equal to last return, for example) or even some dynamic variation on the TTS itself)

edit:
***Darkcyde makes a good point, I'll not bother adding a new reply ... edited this to include this image - the various options for the required parameter of the jumpdetails function can be tweaked to whatever it is you are trying to understand, and again, this does NOT need to be on an EDDI trigger, for 'FSD engaged', was just a (bad) example - could just as easily be on a verbal request, like When I Say: "What is my current jump range?"
eddi_jumpdetails_function.PNG

Attachments

Last edited:
First, check out the EDDI Git Hub Wiki -- lots of information there -- link in VerticleBlank's sig, bottom left link

So, this is a slightly more advanced use of EDDI in VoiceAttack, but should be simple to understand with a pic, provided you cross reference with the GitHub EDDI Wiki - particularly the page dealing with VoiceAttack (click here) and also the page dealing with EDDI Events (click here)

You first set a parameter variable (a VA Text Variable) to one of the required parameters of the 'jumpdetails' plugin function, in this case we use 'next', then you execute the EDDI plugin (providing this variable) and then gather the info provided (in this case, a decimal variable of the distance for the next jump). Then we can access this info in any way we want, just refer to {DEC:Ship jump detail distance}

In the example below, I have made this command into an EDDI Event Trigger -- just for helping you understand what could be done here -- whenever the FSD is engaged, it will check the distance of the next jump, and using TTS, will say, "Next jump distance is {DEC:Ship jump detail distance} light years." where the decimal is replaced by EDDI:
View attachment 176800

*(@eddi, if I got something wrong here, please let me know and I'll edit/correct it - I actually can't fire up this example command for a test to be sure, so I'm counting on 5+ years of experience working with ED/EDDI/VA)

**(this is just an example, and could be improved in many ways including redundant checks for valid return information (not equal to last return, for example) or even some dynamic variation on the TTS itself)
I think the question needs a little more detail. @Thyast asks for the 'jump range', but does that mean the overall jump range of the ship? Or the just the current jump range based on current fuel? Or, as you have answered, just the distance of the next jump?

Thanks for your answer but I was meaning ship's current jump range as given by the game in the ship status. And I've read the wiki. That's what I meant talking about the doc

Thanks for your answer but I was meaning ship's current jump range as given by the game in the ship status. And I've read the wiki. That's what I meant talking about the doc
Right. And this info in is the 'doc', no offense intended at all, it just answers your question so I thought it might be a misunderstanding of methods, and the advanced actions on VA such as executing a plugin to get a return value .. and this example will give you the jump range adjusted for current fuel and laden mass. Why is that not sufficient? Have you run this command? It doesn't need to be on a trigger, again, that was just example -- toss actions with those top two lines in your script, and access the value with {DEC:Ship jump detail distance}

Should be different each time you add/jettison cargo, or gain/lose fuel... Did you mean the stated/rated max jump range of your current ship (the unchanging value, unless re-outfitted) with no mass calculations?

edit - I think there is a miscommunication here, regarding definition of terms
Or, as you have answered, just the distance of the next jump?
I did not answer the distance of the next jump, I answered a means to get the range of next jump adjusted for current fuel mass and laden mass.

Getting the distance to a 'hard set' jump, like you already set something in Galaxy Map, would not at all be this function - as that would have no need to adjust for fuel or laden mass - that is just a number (hard set distance between you and the star you're going to). This use of the words "next jump" is throwing it off, and now that I think of it, so is my example of tossing this plugin function inside an event for FSD engaged as this is NOT when you'd use "next" as the parameter... my bad. Was trying to cobble up a simple example for the guts, and the add-on usage example failed...

The use of the "When I say" 'What is my current jump range?' is far more fitting...

*I've edited the picture above and noted it, my bad :coffee:

Last edited:
The way EDDI runs reminds me of malware...

because of undesired behaviour such as:

1. telemetry reporting -- EDDI is sending data to third party services that you are probably not aware of

• EDDI is sending information to a third party service (rollbar.com). While telemetry is mentioned in the licence, users are not specifically warned or asked for their consent.
  • It is not possible to turn this off in the app.
  • According to the devs (and the licence), all that is sent are logs of unhandled exceptions that . However, in my case EDDI was causing traffic to rollbar at a rate of ~350KB per minute. I haven't found any apparent connection between the data and error entries in the logs. I've seen it sending data without any recent errors at all. The number of error logs does not explain the amount of data sent.
  • This is probably only a bug that resends the log entries repeatedly but as the devs say it works "as intended", they are unlikely to fix it.
  • Possible workarounds are adding an entry to Window's firewall to block outgoing traffic to rollbar and recompiling the code yourself (my guess is that removing the rollbar api key suffices)

2. running in background as Voiceattack plugin

• EDDI keeps running in the background regardless of whether it's actually used or not. That includes telemetry connections, disk polling, everything it normally does. The only way to put EDDI to sleep is to close Voiceattack or disable the plugin. That means if you intend to use Voiceattack for anything other that Elite, EDDI could prove to be more of a nuisance.
  • If EDDI runs in the background on a laptop that is hooked to mobile data, it could consume sizeable portion of your data plan (0.5-1 GB per 24 hours for telemetry only).

3. non-stop filesystem access

• EDDI constantly polls your Elite logs, meaning it opens the files, checks for changes in the logs and reacts accordingly. However, EDDI does not check whether Elite is running or not. It continues polling your files indefinitely.
  • EDDI does not appear to use the Windows FilesystemWatcher API for monitoring file changes as one would expect

The way EDDI runs reminds me of malware...

because of undesired behaviour such as:

1. telemetry reporting -- EDDI is sending data to third party services that you are probably not aware of

• EDDI is sending information to a third party service (rollbar.com). While telemetry is mentioned in the licence, users are not specifically warned or asked for their consent.
  • It is not possible to turn this off in the app.
  • According to the devs (and the licence), all that is sent are logs of unhandled exceptions that . However, in my case EDDI was causing traffic to rollbar at a rate of ~350KB per minute. I haven't found any apparent connection between the data and error entries in the logs. I've seen it sending data without any recent errors at all. The number of error logs does not explain the amount of data sent.
  • This is probably only a bug that resends the log entries repeatedly but as the devs say it works "as intended", they are unlikely to fix it.
  • Possible workarounds are adding an entry to Window's firewall to block outgoing traffic to rollbar and recompiling the code yourself (my guess is that removing the rollbar api key suffices)

2. running in background as Voiceattack plugin

• EDDI keeps running in the background regardless of whether it's actually used or not. That includes telemetry connections, disk polling, everything it normally does. The only way to put EDDI to sleep is to close Voiceattack or disable the plugin. That means if you intend to use Voiceattack for anything other that Elite, EDDI could prove to be more of a nuisance.
  • If EDDI runs in the background on a laptop that is hooked to mobile data, it could consume sizeable portion of your data plan (0.5-1 GB per 24 hours for telemetry only).

3. non-stop filesystem access

• EDDI constantly polls your Elite logs, meaning it opens the files, checks for changes in the logs and reacts accordingly. However, EDDI does not check whether Elite is running or not. It continues polling your files indefinitely.
  • EDDI does not appear to use the Windows FilesystemWatcher API for monitoring file changes as one would expect
Well here's a thought for you, if you are so paranoid about your"data" there is a simple solution, don't use EDDI at all, problem solved and the rest of us happy users can get on with our gameplay faves?.

Top Bottom