Release ED ToolBox - A companion app

QUESTION 1

I've added a new station that doesn't exist on EDDB, after adding via EDMC, it has updated EDDB, I've done a refresh of EDTB data but the new station isn't being picked up.

How long do the updates take to be picked up in EDTB?

QUESTION 2

How do I add categories to BOOKMARKS & POINTS OF INTEREST?
HOW_DO_I_ADD_CATEGORIES_.png HOW_DO_I_ADD_CATEGORIES_2.png

UPDATE: I Figured it out, go to DATA POINTS and add from there.

FIGURED_IT_OUT..png

Last edited:
QUESTION 1

I've added a new station that doesn't exist on EDDB, after adding via EDMC, it has updated EDDB, I've done a refresh of EDTB data but the new station isn't being picked up.

How long do the updates take to be picked up in EDTB?

QUESTION 2

<snip>
Question 1:
There are a couple of things that determine when the data from EDDB gets to you:
- EDDB creates a dump of all data at about ~6 am GMT (if I remember correctly).
- My script downloads said files and converts them into csv and compresses them at ten'ish GMT.
- After that the data can be downloaded to your ED ToolBox using the "update station and system data" script (which will be automatic as of the next release, but for now is manual)

So to answer your question: pretty much anything between a few hours to infinity :)

Question 2: indeed, Data Point is your friend here :)

Last edited:
Hi, a little question, probably stupid.......

Is there any way the Log is ordered by date, not by systems?

Thanks for the help!!

Hi, a little question, probably stupid.......

Is there any way the Log is ordered by date, not by systems?

Thanks for the help!!
Hi,

The system specific logs are only visible if you're within a certain distance of that system. If you remove the system name when adding logs, these entries will always be visible and they are sorted by date.

Love the ToolBox, I think it's great!

I have a very small (and kind simple, I think) change is in entering in the Trilateration...

Make the next name in the list of the 4 stars add to clipboard - for example as soon as you select the field for SADR it copies SADR to the clipboard for paste in the search field in the Game's Galactic Map...

Related... if I click 'enter' in the Trilateration number fields it erases the ones I have already done, frustrating. It should just move to the next field, not reset them.

Aside from those I'm loving it. I use a suite of addon apps but I love being able to use the laptop screen as my ship travel log :)

Love the ToolBox, I think it's great!

I have a very small (and kind simple, I think) change is in entering in the Trilateration...

Make the next name in the list of the 4 stars add to clipboard - for example as soon as you select the field for SADR it copies SADR to the clipboard for paste in the search field in the Game's Galactic Map...

Related... if I click 'enter' in the Trilateration number fields it erases the ones I have already done, frustrating. It should just move to the next field, not reset them.

Aside from those I'm loving it. I use a suite of addon apps but I love being able to use the laptop screen as my ship travel log :)
The "copy to clipboard" thing is easy enough if you want to copy stuff to the clipboard of the machine accessing EDTB (in your case the laptop's clipboard) but copying stuff to the server clipboard (which would be extremely useful) might prove trickier. Though I'll sure give it a go once I've reached the next Distant Worlds waypoint :)

There might be something I can do to the other thing as well, though hitting Enter isn't supposed to bring up the next field in the form but rather send the form. You should use the TAB key to move between the fields. Though hitting Enter after filling all the fields only to have the fields emptied would indeed be very annoying, so I'll do something about that. That's not intended.

Hi,

The system specific logs are only visible if you're within a certain distance of that system. If you remove the system name when adding logs, these entries will always be visible and they are sorted by date.

It works!! thanks a lot!!

One last question: log´s entries now are sorted by date, newest the first. Is possible the opposite (oldest the first)?

Thanks one more time

The "copy to clipboard" thing is easy enough if you want to copy stuff to the clipboard of the machine accessing EDTB (in your case the laptop's clipboard) but copying stuff to the server clipboard (which would be extremely useful) might prove trickier. Though I'll sure give it a go once I've reached the next Distant Worlds waypoint :)

There might be something I can do to the other thing as well, though hitting Enter isn't supposed to bring up the next field in the form but rather send the form. You should use the TAB key to move between the fields. Though hitting Enter after filling all the fields only to have the fields emptied would indeed be very annoying, so I'll do something about that. That's not intended.
Well the actual 'paste' part you can leave to the user to be honest. Make us do SOME work :)
Otherwise you would have to open the client and make a series of guesses that certain windows would be up and key pressed are set right.

Oddly I have a VA command that swaps to the game (already in Galactic Map) and deletes whatever might be there in the search and waits for the next star name to be entered. I am still looking at a 'prompt' that will allow VA to get this far then want for me to enter in the new numbers and then does it again, when I say next.. then when I get them all I say 'done' or 'finished' and it will go back to your page and save it.

Well the actual 'paste' part you can leave to the user to be honest. Make us do SOME work :)
Otherwise you would have to open the client and make a series of guesses that certain windows would be up and key pressed are set right.

Oddly I have a VA command that swaps to the game (already in Galactic Map) and deletes whatever might be there in the search and waits for the next star name to be entered. I am still looking at a 'prompt' that will allow VA to get this far then want for me to enter in the new numbers and then does it again, when I say next.. then when I get them all I say 'done' or 'finished' and it will go back to your page and save it.
I'm a lazy man and I'll happily spend hours automating something that takes minutes to do :) Though I wasn't suggesting automating the whole process, although it would be cool. It would require some fancy macros.

I've looked it up and it seems it's not possible to copy stuff to the server side clipboard using PHP so people who access their ED ToolBox from another machine will have to do it the old fashioned way. I'll add the copy to clipboard option for the 1.0.0 release.

I'm a lazy man and I'll happily spend hours automating something that takes minutes to do :) Though I wasn't suggesting automating the whole process, although it would be cool. It would require some fancy macros.

I've looked it up and it seems it's not possible to copy stuff to the server side clipboard using PHP so people who access their ED ToolBox from another machine will have to do it the old fashioned way. I'll add the copy to clipboard option for the 1.0.0 release.
Thanks on that.
I have some very intricate VA scripts that are basic simple stuff but *I'm* gonna have to use it so it get very intense... like take your VA stuff as an example...
I ask if there is an new headlines.. it replies and if there are some asks if I want to have them read (as you script asks). I can answer "Yes" in a variety of manner or "not right now" in which case it will run a scrip that asks random 10 - 30 min if I want to hear the new news. IF yes, it offers the stories as a newscaster and I can skip the story by saying 'Next story" and it skips on after an apologetic. When it is done it ended with a ask again tomorrow. I can ask for it to repeat the last story as well (altho that's still a bit buggy)

Thanks on that.
I have some very intricate VA scripts that are basic simple stuff but *I'm* gonna have to use it so it get very intense... like take your VA stuff as an example...
I ask if there is an new headlines.. it replies and if there are some asks if I want to have them read (as you script asks). I can answer "Yes" in a variety of manner or "not right now" in which case it will run a scrip that asks random 10 - 30 min if I want to hear the new news. IF yes, it offers the stories as a newscaster and I can skip the story by saying 'Next story" and it skips on after an apologetic. When it is done it ended with a ask again tomorrow. I can ask for it to repeat the last story as well (altho that's still a bit buggy)
Sounds nice! I can't get VA to understand my accent so I just use some button combinations on my X52 to "ask" Marvin stuff :) I was surprised by the number of people who seem to use VA so you'll be happy to know the next release will have some added functionality to Marvin :)

Sounds nice! I can't get VA to understand my accent so I just use some button combinations on my X52 to "ask" Marvin stuff :) I was surprised by the number of people who seem to use VA so you'll be happy to know the next release will have some added functionality to Marvin :)
I use Amy, so I'll never hear your marvin voice :) But more functions always nice.

Hi,

Would there be anyway to do so without removing the system name ? I'v been looking for a tool that allows commander notes for at minimum every time I stop in a station. Some of the other tools pull only the system name and not the station you're in. Is there anyway to pull both system info and station name automatically and allow commander notes for each stop ?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure the net logs don't show station names, so I doubt there will be any tool that can automatically record the station names.

Would there be anyway to do so without removing the system name ? I'v been looking for a tool that allows commander notes for at minimum every time I stop in a station. Some of the other tools pull only the system name and not the station you're in. Is there anyway to pull both system info and station name automatically and allow commander notes for each stop ?

Thanks
Sure, you can go to the settings panel an set the "log_range" variable to something like 66000, that way all your logs should be visible even if you're at Beagle Point :)

Automatically pulling the station you're in is not possible with the way the netLog currently works, though it would be possible using the companion API. I fully intend to look into the API, just haven't had the time yet :)

Love the program, pretty close to exsactly what i wanted. Have a few questions tho for it.

When i run it (as admin), works fine and stuff. But when i try to browse it with a driod i get a, Forbidden. You don't have permission to access / on this server. That is with using a ip of 10.0.0.2/3001. *.2 being the host machine on the network. Works fine looking at it on the host computer with a browser tho. I looked through the info you had on getting access via another machine on a network, added the program to firewall (both in and out just to be sure) and when i tried to look at it via another device i would always time out. After droping the firewall total on my host machine i could get a server responce, but id get that forbidden/access error. Ive tried it with 3 devices and all had the same problem. The only differnece is the host is on a wired connection to my router, while the 3 others are on wifi, but they all have a interal 10.* ip. Probably something im over looking since my systems are always a bit wonky ;)

As for my one question, is it posible to trilaterate with this and have it send to edsm? I did the find distance one, submited query, jumped out, looked at my stats on edsm for that system and didnt see it ploted out, while if i did it via ediscovery it would be up there right away.

Love the program, pretty close to exsactly what i wanted. Have a few questions tho for it.

When i run it (as admin), works fine and stuff. But when i try to browse it with a driod i get a, Forbidden. You don't have permission to access / on this server. That is with using a ip of 10.0.0.2/3001. *.2 being the host machine on the network. Works fine looking at it on the host computer with a browser tho. I looked through the info you had on getting access via another machine on a network, added the program to firewall (both in and out just to be sure) and when i tried to look at it via another device i would always time out. After droping the firewall total on my host machine i could get a server responce, but id get that forbidden/access error. Ive tried it with 3 devices and all had the same problem. The only differnece is the host is on a wired connection to my router, while the 3 others are on wifi, but they all have a interal 10.* ip. Probably something im over looking since my systems are always a bit wonky ;)
By default the ED ToolBox apache web server allows connections from IP addresses starting with 192.168.0, 192.168.1 or 192.168.2. You'll need to edit the \bin\apache\conf\httpd.conf file to allow connections from your "wonky" IP :)
To do this, open the file and locate the following line:
Code:
Require ip 192.168.2
Add a line below it:
Code:
Require ip 10.0.0
Assuming your internal IP's all start with 10.0.0.
As for my one question, is it posible to trilaterate with this and have it send to edsm? I did the find distance one, submited query, jumped out, looked at my stats on edsm for that system and didnt see it ploted out, while if i did it via ediscovery it would be up there right away.
Yes, go to the settings panel and set your EDSM api key, username and the "edsm_export" variable to "true". If a system has no known coordinates there will be a calculator icon and clicking that will open the trilateration form.

By default the ED ToolBox apache web server allows connections from IP addresses starting with 192.168.0, 192.168.1 or 192.168.2. You'll need to edit the \bin\apache\conf\httpd.conf file to allow connections from your "wonky" IP :)
To do this, open the file and locate the following line:
Code:
Require ip 192.168.2
Add a line below it:
Code:
Require ip 10.0.0
Assuming your internal IP's all start with 10.0.0.

Yes, go to the settings panel and set your EDSM api key, username and the "edsm_export" variable to "true". If a system has no known coordinates there will be a calculator icon and clicking that will open the trilateration form.
Aha, bingo. Works fine now. Its been 16 or so year since ive messed with apache that i didnt even think to look at the configs there, lol. I switched isp's last month and went back to comcast and it defaults to the 10.0.* range for lan. Back in 98 or so i always used that isntead of the 192.* range for some reason.

Ill mess more with the trilateration form later on to see. I had tossed in my api key, cmdr name and switched it to true. I know it was updating my route fine, just didnt see it update the couple systems i tried to trilaterate on. Pretty high chace that it is a error between keyboard and chair tho.

Thanks for the ip help there. Back to plotting my last 60 jumps before sleep.

Top Bottom