Distant Worlds II Event [DW2] Distant Worlds 2: Discovery Submissions

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
USE EDPROFILER'S CMDR LOGS TOOL! It will take a link to your screenshots and put them in the log of the system you are in. It actually works really well as a bookmarking tool, as well as a captain's log tool for those who hate alt-tabbing (like those in VR).

I'll make a video about that soon, I think more people need to know.

YES! I have the profiler for VR purposes and definitely need to know more about how this feature you mention works!

Just found a pretty nice Bark Mound site at Traikaae YZ-L b25-0, on body B 1 , inside a canyon under the light of a brown dwarf.

I've also entered it into the database.

Screenshots here:

Jgv7Tqq.jpg

axxmZ77.jpg

BzEIwnZ.jpg

cy2uffs.jpg

CnIX041.jpg

Last edited:
Dr. Kaii

Just wanted to say I figured out the Captains Log and it seems to work beautifully.

Some feedback/suggestions for it:

Is there a way that ED profiler can automatically convert BMP to JPG when saving screenshots?

The thumbnail isn't so much a thumbnail as it is a corner of a thumbnail - (like 1/4 the image, top left). Seeing the full image, even at that smaller size, would work better for recognizing what it is before clicking.

Also, just to clean things up so you don't have a huge file address every time, maybe the words "Image data recorded:" could be made into a hyperlink to the image? (or just a clickable image).

Oh, I also noticed that while the date and time are correct, the DAY is off. It says it's Monday. Is that because it's accounting for what that day will actually land on in 3305?

I'm sure these ideas are far more complicated than they seem to be on the surface, but I figured I'd suggest it anyway.

But I highly recommend this tool for anyone wanting an in-game means of recording your thoughts/observations in a Captain's Log style along the way. Wow, what a difference this makes, even outside of VR I'd be using it. Simple to understand, customizable, and most importantly, used entirely IN GAME despite being a third party piece of software.

Last edited:
Dr. Kaii

Just wanted to say I figured out the Captains Log and it seems to work beautifully.

Is there a way that ED profiler can automatically convert BMP to JPG when saving screenshots?

The thumbnail isn't so much a thumbnail as it is a corner of a thumbnail - (like 1/4 the image, top left). Seeing the full image, even at that smaller size, would work better for recognizing what it is before clicking.

Also, just to clean things up so you don't have a huge file address every time, maybe the words "Image data recorded:" could be made into a hyperlink to the image? (or just a clickable image).

I'm sure these ideas are far more complicated than they seem to be on the surface, but I figured I'd suggest it anyway.

But I highly recommend this tool for anyone wanting an in-game means of recording your thoughts/observations in a Captain's Log style along the way. Wow, what a difference this makes, even outside of VR I'd be using it. Simple to understand, customizable, and most importantly, used entirely IN GAME despite being a third party piece of software.

If you use EDFX, it'll save screenshots as .PNG. You can run it and disable all the post processing options if you want, and still retain the screenshot save feature.

Dr. Kaii

Oh, I also noticed that while the date and time are correct, the DAY is off. It says it's Monday. Is that because it's accounting for what that day will actually land on in 3305?

EDDiscovery does the image conversion together with various file naming options

Dr. Kaii

Ok so: nope sorry this tool can't be used to convert images. There are other tools that do that

Read the ? as it has lots of info. In there it says if you have wrong size images, you need to click the button that let's you put in your windows scaling and choose the right option (it should save forever, or at least until a major update)

Because of the way the tool is written, using rich text box and .txt files, it can't have hyperlinks to files with anything other than the exact file path. Also can't make that thumbnail a link either for same reason.

Day is off? Never noticed this, will investigate. It's giving UTC times, do you live in australia or something? :D

I'm glad you got it working and are enjoying! Made a quick guide last night:

[video=youtube;X0kiz_izBsc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0kiz_izBsc[/video]

One of the things I look for as rare items in the galaxy is planets with extremely large ring systems. Here's one, Smojue IE-X B42-0 A 3, whose outer ring extends all the way out to 2,796,872 km...

HMNW6kz.png

And here's the system data on another where the outer ring was so large and sparse that even with flying around the planet for a while I couldn't find it; it's at Traikaae BE-P B20-4 4...

beTGjfJ.png

Last edited:
Found a system (Omega Sector DM-M B7-16) just over 50 LY from the omega mining base with 2 different lagrange clouds (Roseum & Rubicundum). The Rubicundum is a very dark red / black and is so thick that you cannot see anything while inside it. The clouds contain two different kinds of metal crystals and some metal spheres.

7STfXCe

Ok so: nope sorry this tool can't be used to convert images. There are other tools that do that

Read the ? as it has lots of info. In there it says if you have wrong size images, you need to click the button that let's you put in your windows scaling and choose the right option (it should save forever, or at least until a major update)

Because of the way the tool is written, using rich text box and .txt files, it can't have hyperlinks to files with anything other than the exact file path. Also can't make that thumbnail a link either for same reason.

Day is off? Never noticed this, will investigate. It's giving UTC times, do you live in australia or something? :D

Thanks for the resource, Dr. Kaii!

i mess up an entry, Grypos was my ED second account ID, not the name of a phenomenon, the proper entry should be "Prasinum Metallic Crystal". the entry is new so its likely to be on the bottom

Bleia Dryiae HG-W c18-1 - Notable for the number of bodies, 62.

This system has everything. Geologicals, Rings, Belts, grown men in wedding dresses, a cat from a bodega, puppets in disguise, German smurfs, and MTV's Dan Cortese.

https://imgur.com/AQU5DRd

Last edited:
Ok, so it's just another planet with Bark Mounds, not the first I've seen either but oh, the view.

Not only does this showcase alien life in the form of Bark Mounds, but the most sublime image, rings, nebulae and the mighty galactic plane. This single spot encompasses so much of what distant worlds really means in one single snapshot.

Lagoon Sector FW-W d1-83 AB 4 c Rough Coordinates: -1.43, 177.64

BarkMoundView.png

thanks. A few have been mentioned. Will look into one.

this is less of an issue if the images are full size like in your video, so no worries.

Canada. But it said it was Monday when it was Wednesday, so I don't think that's it. ;)

Thanks. One last hiccup seems to be the images sometimes getting posted before a log entry update. For example, I enter a system, take a picture, then write a log, the photo comes before the data update listing my new location (making it seem like it's from the last system. Presumably this is because screen capture isn't tied to the data fetch request as the log. If there isn't an easy way to do so you might want to recommend people post a log entry before any screen captures?

Hi!
I just found 3 clouds in the same system, Trifid Sector DL-Y d157. The system in itself is part of the Trifid Nebula.
All three are logged in the Form, look for the system name and you should find 3 different entries.

Stay safe in the black!
CMDR Winter

Here is my codex, first time confirmation for all 3 for me :)

2019-01-17 21-47-16 Trifid Sector DL-Y d157.png2019-01-17 21-47-23 Trifid Sector DL-Y d157.png2019-01-17 21-47-38 Trifid Sector DL-Y d157.png

And some images of the clouds:

2019-01-17 21-29-41 Trifid Sector DL-Y d157.png2019-01-17 21-33-20 Trifid Sector DL-Y d157.png2019-01-17 21-43-35 Trifid Sector DL-Y d157.png

Not sure if this is the kind of thing to put in this thread, but I found a planet & moon with a fairly fast orbit (2.3D). You can actually see it moving with the naked eye, so I just had to position my ship to capture it partially eclipsing the star it orbits and fully eclipsing a star further away. I know there are planets out there which have been discovered with faster orbits, but this is the first time I have discovered a planet orbiting so quickly myself.

The system is: BLEAE THUA KH-M d7-20 planet B 1

I did try to get closer to the planet so I could witness it fully eclipse the star it was orbiting but it didn't work because getting that close pulls you into the planets gravity well and you end up moving with the planet.

Anyway, here is a video I took of the eclipses taking place.

[video=youtube_share;49FJefzdE4Q]https://youtu.be/49FJefzdE4Q[/video]

Last edited:
Found a system (Omega Sector DM-M B7-16) just over 50 LY from the omega mining base with 2 different lagrange clouds (Roseum & Rubicundum). The Rubicundum is a very dark red / black and is so thick that you cannot see anything while inside it. The clouds contain two different kinds of metal crystals and some metal spheres.

Just visited this Lagrange cloud (the Rubicundum one) and you weren't kidding. You can't see ANYTHING! Had to use night vision to navigate through it! Awesome find.

Don't know if this is the right place to put it seeing as this is a bit of an old discovery of mine but oh well. In the Traikoa MV-Y D42 system the 3rd planet, sharing orbit with a class 3 gas giant is a high metal content world with no atmosphere. This planet is capable of planetary landings with a radius of 6,894 KM and a gravity of 1.31Gs it is by all accounts quite ordinary at first glance. What makes this and unusual find is that it is also listed as a Terraforming Candidate. While I do realize that in reality this is most likely a bug in the stellar forge program, I also thing that this and other worlds like it could provide an interesting point in the narrative of Elite Dangerous and the development of the game itself. By establishing an outpost inside one of the larger mist filled crater this could serve as an in game testing ground for developing assets for making atmospheric worlds while presenting itself in game as researchers studying methods of terraforming a barren world.Traikoa.jpg

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom