Does anyone install or have use of the FC Black Market?

The black market would be more useful if the items sold there become clean items in the carrier's inventory. Then again it might give another exploit vector.
This would have to be the way it worked.
No point having one if the goods can't be resold. It must be the way the black markets work in 'lore'.
Whether there ought to be sanctions/risks in doing this another matter. 😉

Nerds or not, it fundamentally affects what mechanics are feasible or not. Markets very quickly normalise irrational actors around predictable mechanics like that. Thus, why an FC buying LTDs for 1m in Borann wouldn't really get much trade.
All I said was I would use a FC in that case. Only speaking for myself. No judgement made on feasibility, predictability blah blah blah.

So you out-nerded the nerds? I don't see why the insult was necessary. Does it really come as a surprise to you that (some) players try to maximize profit when playing a trading game?
One thing this thread has shown me is that there is not a huge demand for the FC Black Market, not even to maximize profit. So if any moderator is watching this derailed thread, please close it. Thanks.

I buy it. It's very useful for the pirating I do. I can stash the stuff on the carrier and be not at the wimps of the missions board. It's still a far cry from what it should have been, but it has it's uses.

Black market has always felt half baked and hardly functional. Still does. No stuff to buy, no extreme profits, no cleaning up items.

Only uses I can think of are for roleplay, if someone is having a shady/pirate carrier, or wants one with all services.

Since when is 'nerd' an insult though?
It isn't. We have even lollies named after us. Jock and cool kids can't say the same.

I agree with the black market.
But that again is one of those unbalanced things in ED where risk and reward are out of whack.
Smuggling barely pays, you lose heaps of rep if caught, etc etc etc. And the profit is barely present to none.
An illegal good should have 150% market price on the black market, not 50%.

But yeah, the black market, literally no use for us, but it'd be interesting to see if anyone else can find something practical for it.
Well, if I had the FC (which at this point I will NOT be an early adopter) to utilize that aspect of it, I'd Park it near a High RES in a HIgh Security system with no black market and use it for two things at once.

A: Combat Support and Fencing before fining.

1) I go in rigged to kill but with empty cargo hold.
2) Once system security builds up, I start scooping loot. (and continue to pick off targets as needed)
3) I pace myself so that I don't kill everyone too quickly, keeping system security too busy to scan me. They scan at end of combat. It also saves ammo.
4) I go back to FC, fence goods and rearm/refuel and repeat.

B: Combat Support and Fencing conveniently located for other players.
1) I let other players do the same with some degree of profit per time spent. Prices are low but not too low.
2) I can sell later at Black Market in another system. I can use my primary ship to make a smuggling run, or just let it build up for a while.

Could be pretty dull if this is all you do. However, it could make a few bucks more then you could without the FC.

;'{P~~~

Very much this, and the fact it doesnt "launder" or "ring" the stolen goods also brings attention to bow borked the whole black market mechanic has always been. I mean, illegal goods are worth half of their nominal value when you successfully smuggle them into a starport? So I buy a load of narcotics / battle weapons / generic contraband, risk my neck from pirates wanting to alleviate me of the contraband, and risk incurring a fine of the same value as the cargo haul if I get scanned anywhere in the system - most likely on my way into the starport going to the effort of smuggling the goods past station security, and get reimbursed half of what I paid for them from the open market to lose four or five grand a tonne when I "sell" them? Its more like giving them away. The only way smuggling is viable as a play style is if you are running smuggling missions, and those are rare missions, and even they don't use the black market, when you smuggle in contraband for a mission you deiver it to a faction through the mission board, so why have a black market at all?

Yes, I accept that you can sell stolen goods there, but whats the point in dealing in stolen goods? You could pirate some LTD's, but you are genuinely quicker mining the damned things and you make more money for them, and don't have bounties, "wanted" ship and or modules to launder. Or for the degraded emissions cargo drop scenario's often spawning from Unidentified Signal Sources, whoo a dozen canisters of textiles / grain / other low value goods, for which, assuming you don't get scanned and fined, you'll get half of their already low face value. And you only get that after you've mooched around in supercruise for a while waiting for the spawn of and or looking for the signal source, and then dropped in and popped some collector limpets or spent time manually scooping up the cargo. Some genuine trade runs using genuine legit markets and commodities and or mission running is more rewarding gameplay.

Surely a black market should pay over the odds for illegal goods, as they are unobtainable through legitimate regular channels, therefore it requires the services of a criminal to procure them, and criminal's aren't known for altruistically running at a loss while risking fines and or incarceration. If Im to be tempted to the darkside in running illegal goods smuggling, I want to make a proffit at it, not a loss. Mother Theresa was not a drug dealer (and therefore also not a smuggler) - Pablo Escabar was, yet in elite, a career running drugs / guns etc will see you as destitute as Mother Theresa, not as outlandishly rich as Pablo Escabar (or any of the crime lords).

The black market really need reviewed, both as it stands in main game, and the new son of black market implemented for carriers.
Two kinds of illegal goods:

1) Stolen. Always sells below worth to fence. Fence also sells below market, that is how he/she gets buyers. Sometimes thieves are their own fences.
2) Illegal. If demand is high markup can be extremely high (10 times or so can even happen real world) If demand is low, not a lot of markup. Higher demand usually means harder to smuggle in versus amount of potential customers. Lower demand usually means easy to get into market, because who cares if it is technically illegal.

If both cases apply, Illegal usually overrides stolen. If it is illegal to begin with, who really cares if it was stolen?

But you are correct in asserting that the entire Black Market and Smuggling is jacked up...

;'{P~~~

1) Stolen. Always sells below worth to fence. Fence also sells below market, that is how he/she gets buyers. Sometimes thieves are their own fences.
2) Illegal. If demand is high markup can be extremely high (10 times or so can even happen real world) If demand is low, not a lot of markup. Higher demand usually means harder to smuggle in versus amount of potential customers. Lower demand usually means easy to get into market, because who cares if it is technically illegal.

If both cases apply, Illegal usually overrides stolen. If it is illegal to begin with, who really cares if it was stolen?

But you are correct in asserting that the entire Black Market and Smuggling is jacked up...

;'{P~~~
Because of the loss-making, I've never bothered with the black markets since ~2.0, and erm, some ua bombing, but moving on ever so swiftly... Are you saying if you work the BGS state and the goods you smuggle you CAN make a profit from the black market? Or are you saying that you SHOULD be able to make a profit that way?

Wont' speak to the BGS state, (hush hush, big secrets) but I make some off of illegal and/or stolen goods. Usually when doing a low value run to a station with a Black Market and I come across a USS degraded signals threat 3, which often has a single ton of painite or maybe multiple tones of personal effects...

That does not make money fast. It is not hard, but can be tedious, if that is all you do. I run a big ship, so running legit cargo generally is the most profitable for the time spent, but still I do it to keep my scooping skills sharp and just to change things up a bit...

;'{P~~~

;'{P~~~
BTW, in this scenario, you could also be supporting miners, offering a possibly more convenient place to unload what they have mined and a place to buy more limpets, etc. Maybe some of them would even donate Tritium, although I would expect them to want to sell it instead...

;'{P~~~

Top Bottom