Does anyone install or have use of the FC Black Market?

Me neither, seeing no purpose of that for my Carrier.

Another very interesting question would be how many players are interested in the regular commodities market, since FDEV decided to put it as a standard service on all FC.
I mean, I can see a lot of beneficial use for what it's not intended to be, but not a lot for what should actually be.
With my Carrier planned to operate far in Deep Space, I'll likely keep a few offers open all the time.
Focus will be on Tritium but mostly also all types of Deep Space legal Salvage (i.e. Escape Pods).

I'll have the Black Market installed to trade things like SAP8 and Trikets of Hidden Fortune... not for the money but to provide rare mats to players. Maybe even more of these will turn out to be useful later on.

Last edited:
The black market would be more useful if the items sold there become clean items in the carrier's inventory. Then again it might give another exploit vector.
Very much this, and the fact it doesnt "launder" or "ring" the stolen goods also brings attention to bow borked the whole black market mechanic has always been. I mean, illegal goods are worth half of their nominal value when you successfully smuggle them into a starport? So I buy a load of narcotics / battle weapons / generic contraband, risk my neck from pirates wanting to alleviate me of the contraband, and risk incurring a fine of the same value as the cargo haul if I get scanned anywhere in the system - most likely on my way into the starport going to the effort of smuggling the goods past station security, and get reimbursed half of what I paid for them from the open market to lose four or five grand a tonne when I "sell" them? Its more like giving them away. The only way smuggling is viable as a play style is if you are running smuggling missions, and those are rare missions, and even they don't use the black market, when you smuggle in contraband for a mission you deiver it to a faction through the mission board, so why have a black market at all?

Yes, I accept that you can sell stolen goods there, but whats the point in dealing in stolen goods? You could pirate some LTD's, but you are genuinely quicker mining the damned things and you make more money for them, and don't have bounties, "wanted" ship and or modules to launder. Or for the degraded emissions cargo drop scenario's often spawning from Unidentified Signal Sources, whoo a dozen canisters of textiles / grain / other low value goods, for which, assuming you don't get scanned and fined, you'll get half of their already low face value. And you only get that after you've mooched around in supercruise for a while waiting for the spawn of and or looking for the signal source, and then dropped in and popped some collector limpets or spent time manually scooping up the cargo. Some genuine trade runs using genuine legit markets and commodities and or mission running is more rewarding gameplay.

Surely a black market should pay over the odds for illegal goods, as they are unobtainable through legitimate regular channels, therefore it requires the services of a criminal to procure them, and criminal's aren't known for altruistically running at a loss while risking fines and or incarceration. If Im to be tempted to the darkside in running illegal goods smuggling, I want to make a proffit at it, not a loss. Mother Theresa was not a drug dealer (and therefore also not a smuggler) - Pablo Escabar was, yet in elite, a career running drugs / guns etc will see you as destitute as Mother Theresa, not as outlandishly rich as Pablo Escabar (or any of the crime lords).

The black market really need reviewed, both as it stands in main game, and the new son of black market implemented for carriers.

You're right about that. The one good standard use I can think of is FC owners setting up next to a mining hotspot and buying low (not too low) and selling high at a system much further away. As a miner I would use that convenience if the price was right.
But it's so easy to find below-max good prices?

Using LTDs as the example, I'll sell at 1 million per ton to a closer station rather than make 10 jumps to sell at 1.6 million.
And like I said... why would you sell for 1m/t (specifically to the FC) when it's so easy to find that?

Close enough to save me 10 or more jumps. Its a convenience that I will use and I can't speak for anyone else.
And back to my original post... it's so easy to find them.

10 jumps is a gross exaggeration as to how far you have to go, unless you're relying on EDDB etc. to tell you where to go.

And back to my original post... it's so easy to find them.

10 jumps is a gross exaggeration as to how far you have to go, unless you're relying on EDDB etc. to tell you where to go.
If its less than 10 jumps I'll go to the station and get full price.

Using LTDs as the example, I'll sell at 1 million per ton to a closer station rather than make 10 jumps to sell at 1.6 million.
I fill up with 522 tonnes of LTD and it takes 3 hours.
If I sell at 1.6m I get 830m credits.
If I sell at 1m I get 520m credits.
That's a difference of 310m, or just over a third of the 830m I could have got. It took 3 hours to mine so if I sell at 1m instead of 1.6m I waste just over one hour.

I would be prepared to make 30 jumps in order to get 1.6m instead of 1m and my ship has a 30+ LY range.
Unless you're mining fewer than 70 tonnes it doesn't make sense to sell at 1m to avoid 10 jumps.

The only use case for carriers I see here is for people in tiny ships or those who don't want to wait until a public holiday comes up. Except that the 1000% limit on buying prices means even this won't ever work, I'm not selling my diamonds for 300k.

I fill up with 522 tonnes of LTD and it takes 3 hours.
If I sell at 1.6m I get 830m credits.
If I sell at 1m I get 520m credits.
That's a difference of 310m, or just over a third of the 830m I could have got. It took 3 hours to mine so if I sell at 1m instead of 1.6m I waste just over one hour.

I would be prepared to make 30 jumps in order to get 1.6m instead of 1m and my ship has a 30+ LY range.
Unless you're mining fewer than 70 tonnes it doesn't make sense to sell at 1m to avoid 10 jumps.

The only use case for carriers I see here is for people in tiny ships or those who don't want to wait until a public holiday comes up. Except that the 1000% limit on buying prices means even this won't ever work, I'm not selling my diamonds for 300k.
Nerds. I play this game for fun and already have more billions than I need. I can't take mining for more than an hour per day. I don't sit around doing the maths to figure out if extra jumps are worth it or not so yeah I guess I waste time by selling short. Oh well.

Nerds. I play this game for fun and already have more billions than I need. I can't take mining for more than an hour per day. I don't sit around doing the maths to figure out if extra jumps are worth it or not so yeah I guess I waste time by selling short. Oh well.
Nerds or not, it fundamentally affects what mechanics are feasible or not. Markets very quickly normalise irrational actors around predictable mechanics like that. Thus, why an FC buying LTDs for 1m in Borann wouldn't really get much trade.

Top Bottom