Do I really have to toot a horn about no-fire zones?

You buy a carrier and hire all necessary personnel to operate it. It would make sense then that you are partially responsible for defending the carrier against gankers, pirates, aliens, or whatever conceivable threat, and in addition, it would defend you. After all, you and the carrier are... on the same team... right?

However, your station will kill you, your squad mates, and your wing mates, if you or any of them fire on another ship or player within the no-fire zone.

duuuuhhhh ok.......

Have been testing this. Depends on where in system the carrier is located. If the Carrier is orbiting a body with a station, you'll see authority patrol ships from that faction, treat the carrier the same as any policed station. The carrier will defend you against attacks, do not fire at ships when within the zone, leave it to the carrier, as you have found out, the firepower is brutal.

You can jump the carrier to another body in the system (no station in orbit or planet side) You can shoot away, the carrier will defend you if anyone shoots back. It is still not advisable to shoot innocents, and a stray shot hitting the carrier is instant death.

Full Anarchy systems, anything goes, do not fire at the carrier.

Carrier defence range should be increased beyond the no fire zone, npc pirates can drop out behind you way beyond the nfz.

edit - I also discovered npc's can jump with the landing gear down. blowing up freighters and checking material drops.

Last edited:
The reason of this is what it's not your own fleet carrier. I mean, you rent it services, and that's all. Sitting in hangar, look around. You will notice ads banners. Entire hangar full of them. They say you: it's not your own carrier. And we will kill you if you open fire in no fire zone.

The reason of this is what it's not your own fleet carrier. I mean, you rent it services, and that's all. Sitting in hangar, look around. You will notice ads banners. Entire hangar full of them. They say you: it's not your own carrier. And we will kill you if you open fire in no fire zone.
Brewer Corp offer a 100% refund on deposits during leases, pay extra for upgrades to future models. Sounds more like a luxury yacht service.

Yup that's their job, just like the turret guns on a carrier
...and it's the job of your security service (in this case the Carrier) to protect you (the alleged owner) and support you in any gunfire within range... you pay the bills they do the job, and that doesn't include kill everyone that's firing.
Well perhaps it does mean that, but it's dumb, I'd wan't my side to be my side not (lawful good)... anyone gonna call their Carrier the 'Annoying Paladin'

I have to admit that I am a bit disappointed here.

9,000 Light years out of the bubble and I still get told to mind my speed and stow my weapons. For one I'm not taking out my weapons; I need to honk the horn to see whether the system contains more than stars, which will require me to use my FSD drive to scan further. There should at least be the option to turn these off (even if it is just the audio cue and breaking such infractions still results in consequences); if I want to slam into the carrier at 800 m/s with my Imperial Courier I don't want any lip from them about it!

You do not own the carrier.
You are only leasing it, and it has a kick mule deposit to allow you to do that.
This is exactly what I thought when the new decommissioning charge was announced.

You pay a very large security deposit, and then you pay week-by-week for using the carrier. When you decommission it you get most of your security deposit back. That's a lease, not a purchase. This would explain a lot: it's a vessel whose services you've contracted, so you don't fly it yourself and you're not allowed on the bridge.

I have to admit that I am a bit disappointed here.

9,000 Light years out of the bubble and I still get told to mind my speed and stow my weapons. For one I'm not taking out my weapons; I need to honk the horn to see whether the system contains more than stars, which will require me to use my FSD drive to scan further. There should at least be the option to turn these off (even if it is just the audio cue and breaking such infractions still results in consequences); if I want to slam into the carrier at 800 m/s with my Imperial Courier I don't want any lip from them about it!
I only bother to honk in supercruise anyway so don’t get that ticking off, and anyway with the barely hearable and almost unintelligible nature of the carriers announcements mean that I probably wouldn’t notice it anyway.

This is exactly what I thought when the new decommissioning charge was announced.

You pay a very large security deposit, and then you pay week-by-week for using the carrier. When you decommission it you get most of your security deposit back. That's a lease, not a purchase. This would explain a lot: it's a vessel whose services you've contracted, so you don't fly it yourself and you're not allowed on the bridge.
If it truly is just a lease then FDev should state that much, not leave it up to the players to come up with a 'lore' to suit their predicament, to be honest I'm a bit peeved with FDev's half r'sd tight lipped way of dealing with things, a bit of communication wouldn't go amiss

If it truly is just a lease then FDev should state that much, not leave it up to the players to come up with a 'lore' to suit their predicament, to be honest I'm a bit peeved with FDev's half r'sd tight lipped way of dealing with things, a bit of communication wouldn't go amiss
No argument on the last point, but what I've done here is just to look at the facts and add them up. The Brewer Corporation seems like a pack of fast-talking used car salesmen to me.

This gave me a good chuckle: "sitting in hangar" - this is all it takes to make me feel like the red headed stepchild.

Last edited:
While I don't like the idea of it being a lease, it does make sense.

Even if I 100% owned the Fleet Carrier, I need a full crews cooperation to be able to use it, which means there would still be restrictions on using it where it would affect the crew in a negative manner, since they likely want to live and not die on account of a bad decision by me.

I wouldn't really mind it being gamey and unrealistic though and just saying I 100% own the Fleet Carrier and the crew is basically an extension of my own will, happy to do whatever I ask without question, including burning my speeding tickets to keep themselves warm since I can't afford to pay the Tritium bill..

The point about forced adverts is a good one; in fact while all the lights dim during the jump sequence, the adverts keep well lit and easy to read (and the drama of the jump sequence is dulled a little because of that in my opinion), all while I sit in my ship and not on the deck....it probably isn't even a lease, more like chartered?

The security is a response from the system to your carrier- it should become gradually more onerous the more wanted you are with the faction in charge. The carrier defends itself, but will not defend you* if you are attacked by security, or your attack security.

*the carrier will fire on security NPCs, but the lasers will do no damage.

If it was a lease there would be a time period to sign up for, 1 Month/1 Year/10 Year/99 Year etc after which it goes back to the supplier or you renegotiate.
The carrier is a business and it can be seized if that business goes bankrupt but if you don't let it get into debt it is yours for as long as you want.

If it was a lease there would be a time period to sign up for, 1 Month/1 Year/10 Year/99 Year etc after which it goes back to the supplier or you renegotiate.
The carrier is a business and it can be seized if that business goes bankrupt but if you don't let it get into debt it is yours for as long as you want.
"Open ended lease".

Top Bottom