Distant Worlds 3 ???

Thank you for the heads up! I'm hoping for something in the upcoming dev diaries and announcements that'll tip the balance to "enough new content for DW3" of course, but either way I'll be keeping an eye on these smaller Distant Worlds events!

... and especially planetside exploration on the new revamped worlds that the Odyssey series is bringing to Elite. For this reason its still 50/50 on whether DW3 will happen with Odyssey v1.0 or whether we'll wait to see if more content for explorers is added to later Odyssey updates further down the line.
On the subject of an expedition focused on planetside exploration I just wanted to chip in here to say it's VERY likely that, once Odyssey has bedded down a bit, I'll be organising a sequel to the First Great Planetary Expedition. This was an expedition back in March 3305 where over 50 commanders signed up to completely circumnavigate the planet Kumay in the Chi Herculis system (with around two dozen commanders ultimately completing the journey). As with the more traditional galaxy wide expeditions, we carefully suveyed and plotted a route for the expedition, with waypoints for people to head for that offered sites of particular natural beauty, challenges (mountains to climb, valleys to cross), weekend events (racing, SRV stunt competitions, hide and seek, etc) and more besides.

XG8vjGE.gif

You can still access the 3D interactive map of Kumay that we produced for the expedition over here:

(click and drag on the globe to rotate it, zoom in and out the mousewheel)

Click on the blue title banner at the top of that page to get to the forum thread.

Until we get Odyssey I don't see much point in even starting to consider which planet we might choose this time around but do just keep in mind that this may well be a thing that's happening some time next year.

P.S. don't expect the organisational behemoth of Distant Worlds, I can't be faffed with all that work, but if you're up for some long distance SRV travel with a bunch of like minded commanders then watch this space (that space? ... errr, a space yet to be determined).

On the subject of an expedition focused on planetside exploration I just wanted to chip in here to say it's VERY likely that, once Odyssey has bedded down a bit, I'll be organising a sequel to the First Great Planetary Expedition. This was an expedition back in March 3305 where over 50 commanders signed up to completely circumnavigate the planet Kumay in the Chi Herculis system (with around two dozen commanders ultimately completing the journey). As with the more traditional galaxy wide expeditions, we carefully suveyed and plotted a route for the expedition, with waypoints for people to head for that offered sites of particular natural beauty, challenges (mountains to climb, valleys to cross), weekend events (racing, SRV stunt competitions, hide and seek, etc) and more besides.

XG8vjGE.gif

You can still access the 3D interactive map of Kumay that we produced for the expedition over here:

(click and drag on the globe to rotate it, zoom in and out the mousewheel)

Click on the blue title banner at the top of that page to get to the forum thread.

Until we get Odyssey I don't see much point in even starting to consider which planet we might choose this time around but do just keep in mind that this may well be a thing that's happening some time next year.

P.S. don't expect the organisational behemoth of Distant Worlds, I can't be faffed with all that work, but if you're up for some long distance SRV travel with a bunch of like minded commanders then watch this space (that space? ... errr, a space yet to be determined).

Planetary circumnavigation is something still on my bucket list. :cool:

With thin atmospheric worlds coming, and possibly different terrains to navigate, your expedition is something I'll be signing up for!

Would love to also have an event like this on DW3 when the time comes!

Thank you for the heads up! I'm hoping for something in the upcoming dev diaries and announcements that'll tip the balance to "enough new content for DW3" of course, but either way I'll be keeping an eye on these smaller Distant Worlds events!

If DW3 is delayed to a later update, we'll likely launch a long duration survey event using one of the Distant Worlds Carriers as a homebase. Pretty much going on a slow-pace and casual jaunt around certain galactic regions - looking for potential DW3 basecamp locations. I'll post more about it once Odyssey is out :)

I just want to point out that I am not back from DW 2 yet. I expect to return sometime this coming spring.

Last edited:
I just want to point out that I am not back from DW 2 yet. I expect to return sometime this coming spring.
Neither am I, but I am approaching Colonia and thinking of getting a lift back to the bubble after I've opened up the engineers there on a fleet carrier.

As a supporter of DW1 and DW2 I would like to see what Odyssey can bring to the table. I would certainly want to be a part of it though so lets hope it can happen again.

I think my new ‘epic’ account Commander would like this, gives me time to get engineers and guardian stuff up to snuff in a leisurely manner. Enjoyed DW2, thanks to those who do this stuff, appreciate you even if I am only mostly silent!

Neither am I, but I am approaching Colonia and thinking of getting a lift back to the bubble after I've opened up the engineers there on a fleet carrier.
This is pretty much my status as well, though I’m probably not going to hitch a ride back. I’ve been having trouble squeezing in even one session a week these days (setting up and down for VR takes time, even if the base stations don’t move), so I’m not making very good time. :(

So i guess there's isn't a chance of dw-3 happening any time soon now 😭

So i guess there's isn't a chance of dw-3 happening any time soon now 😭

Well at the very least it won't be until after Odyssey is out for console players. I'd guess Spring 2022 at the earliest (so console players can get the new engineers, etc... unlocked and get geared up).

Thanks for the updates. It makes sense not to go until everyone has Ody. and yes frontier need to bring some exploration love to Ody first (y)(y)

I have been there since the beginning. If there is a DWE3 even being SPECULATED ON, color me there :) Not sure what I can do to help, but if you need me for anything, just let me know.

Whohohou, I'm reporting for duty!

But please, don't make it yet another DWE2... DWE was outstanding success, DSE was great and unforgottable, but DW2 started as gigantic mass-event, worked well up to Sagittarius, but then something wrong happened and it all went into nowhere... I met a lot of confused commanders with the same thoughts... Don't worry to make it in less scale, like was DSE. In some distant world, reachable only via Fleet Carrier... Circumnavigation over planet is a great idea!

Top Bottom