Crystalline Clusters Vanishing?

I’m there at the moment. I’ve just filled up on Technetium and can confirm that I’ve seen zero shurikens and that every cluster that did drop was the sea urchin type. This seems different to my previous trip when both types of shards would drop.
I’m still getting disappearing clusters but it doesn’t seem quite as bad as the last time I was here. After an initial spate of disappearing clusters it seems to be a, rough, rate of 1 in 3 or 1 in 4. I seem to remember it being a 1 in 2 or 1 in 3 rate on that last trip but I didn’t make notes so can’t confirm that.

I’ll try and take note of drop rates and behaviour as I go around the rest of the sites.
Yeah the overall drop rate is not entirely bad, it's just that while the shurikens were still dropping, one site was more than enough to collect 150 units of materials, now the yield of a single site is more like 120 or 130.

Your estimate tallies perfectly with my experience last night. I picked up 125 technetium from my first site and then had to move on to a second site. I can take that more than the frustration of shooting at stuff just for it to pop out of existence like it’s screwing with me....when crystalline shards start gaslighting folk things are getting weird.🥺

I've just got home and thought I'd do a quick whizz around for some tellurium. All shards are dropping and space shurikens are back....at least on this planet.
Then maybe they managed to (re)fix it today. I won't be able to check it out myself as I'm def not going to be able to bring myself to do the super boring 37 jumps long trip there anytime soon :)

Then maybe they managed to (re)fix it today. I won't be able to check it out myself as I'm def not going to be able to bring myself to do the super boring 37 jumps long trip there anytime soon :)
It’s 26 jumps in my Phantom from Ray Gateway which I didn’t think was too bad, it’s normally kept in Ngobe but the station is under repair so no RAW mat trader at the moment. It definitely appears fixed as I’ve cleaned up in one system and am supercruising in Outotz-whateveritis to the next two planets. Very quick and enjoyable in VR.

It does look like I’ll be doing some work tonight though as it seems I’ve given over the rest of today to play:rolleyes:

Used to get this in HIP 36601 all the time prior to the recent patch.
It's always been a bug regardless how it's been spun.
Myself and a friend flew to the same site landed then both went to solo.
He filled up at that location, I had to visit a further 2 sites.
I did bug it ages ago but it seems the issue has cleared for me after Arx patch although it looks like it has spread to others.

There was no patch note information regarding this problem.
If you care to bug report perhaps it will get noticed.

It's in the thread. If you've never been to a biological site to harvest high grade mats, you likely haven't seen the issue.
I have gone to biological sites and collected materials. I have not seen those materials simply vanish.
I have gone to geological sites and collected materials. I have not seen those materials simply vanish.

With the singular exception of: If I return to the same site, after having harvested materials from that site, then I have seen materials not spawn. And if I return to that site after, say, visiting another site, in a different system, I have seen materials not spawn, until the following week, at which time they spawn normally again.

If you don't mind please report your findings afterwards. I've been there last weekend, so I won't get back there so soon, but I'm still curious.
For me it’s all working as ( I assume it’s) intended.

I went out last night and tried to gather technetium and there were no shuriken type crystals, also some crystals disappeared; as in they never dropped after shooting them.

This afternoon after the patch all the sites I visited dropped both types of crystal shards and everything I shot dropped a shard.

I’m now on my way back to the bubble completely full of RAW mats - well, the ones you can get there anyway.

It certainly seems to have been fixed.(y)

I have gone to biological sites and collected materials. I have not seen those materials simply vanish.
I have gone to geological sites and collected materials. I have not seen those materials simply vanish.

With the singular exception of: If I return to the same site, after having harvested materials from that site, then I have seen materials not spawn. And if I return to that site after, say, visiting another site, in a different system, I have seen materials not spawn, until the following week, at which time they spawn normally again.
It simply depends on when you went there. I've been there a few days before patch #2, and there were no problems. Went there right after said patch and the problem was present everywhere. Now after patch #3 apparently it's working again, according to ppl who visited the sites today. I really don't get what's so hard to understand about it.

The issue isn't about spawn rate or spawning at all. It's about the crystalline clusters actually showing up on your contact list. You can target the cluster and shoot it. The target will disappear but nothing drops. That's been explained ad nauseam in the thread, complete with videos and descriptions.

If someone could post a link to the patch notes that mentions this that would be enough to put this to rest I think. I'm sure everyone's getting tired of seeing this on the front page of the Forum.

Last edited:
The problem is not clear communication from FD. I see two choices:
  1. It is a bug and it needs fixing
  2. The materials are treated like fruits, so sometimes they are too immature, their "shell" is too fragile and when you shoot them they burst. If this is the case, some time later they'll grow enough to become the spikey things that don't explode and after some more time we get the full grown substance.
All I can say is that 2 weeks ago I (after patch 1) I filled up with raw materials by visiting those two systems (the one with 4 and the other with 2 materials, I can't remember their proper names) without a single disappearing material. Lots of spikey things but no casualties. I've not tried since.

The issue isn't about spawn rate or spawning at all. It's about the crystalline clusters actually showing up on your contact list. You can target the cluster and shoot it. The target will disappear but nothing drops. That's been explained ad nauseam in the thread, complete with videos and descriptions.

If someone could post a link to the patch notes that mentions this that would be enough to put this to rest I think. I'm sure everyone's getting tired of seeing this on the front page of the Forum.
Ok, thank you for the clarification.. that makes a universe of difference. If there was a video of this in here, it probably slipped in somewhere I just didn't see.
I'd suspect this to potentially be bug-like, though possibly intended if this happens after the first visit to a site. If it happens on the first visit, then this definitely sounds like a bug.

Ok, thank you for the clarification.. that makes a universe of difference. If there was a video of this in here, it probably slipped in somewhere I just didn't see.
I'd suspect this to potentially be bug-like, though possibly intended if this happens after the first visit to a site. If it happens on the first visit, then this definitely sounds like a bug.
The video was posted in this thread exactly twice iirc :)

And whether the bug was present at the first visit or only subsequent ones is utterly irrelevant, because it had nothing to do with the (re)spawning of the shards. The shards were there, they only failed to drop materials.

Last edited:
The video was posted in this thread exactly twice iirc :)

And whether the bug was present at the first visit or only subsequent ones is utterly irrelevant, because it had nothing to do with the (re)spawning of the shards. The shards were there, they only failed to drop materials.
I am aware of the presence of the shards - I did not intend to imply the shard themselves were missing. I was referring to the absence of collectible materials spawned from those shards when shot. Now I'm going to have to scroll backwards through this and find one of these videos....

I am aware of the presence of the shards - I did not intend to imply the shard themselves were missing. I was referring to the absence of collectible materials spawned from those shards when shot. Now I'm going to have to scroll backwards through this and find one of these videos....
That's not how respawning works. If a site is exhausted (i.e. shards had not yet respawned), then there are no shards, so there's nothing to target and shoot at. But once the shards are there, they are supposed to drop materials.

That's not how respawning works. If a site is exhausted (i.e. shards had not yet respawned), then there are no shards, so there's nothing to target and shoot at. But once the shards are there, they are supposed to drop materials.
My choice of language may be an contributing factor here, so let me clarify.

When we enter a region like this (I did go watch the video, and it did prove to be what I suspected it might), those Crystal Shards are "spawned" throughout the region they occupy, can be targeted and shot.

The act of shooting them is then supposed to "spawn" a material that can be collected.

In this particular case, the shards themselves "spawn" and can be targeted and shot, but they fail (not all, but some) to produce (spawn) a collectible material.

This is consistent with my experience with an exhausted site, however I do not believe this is how this is intended to function, as with Geological Sites, the various shootable objects simply do not spawn in the first place.

I suspect one of the following to be taking place:

1. The materials to be spawned are generated from a list which contains a null entry, causing no material to spawn.
2. The material is being spawned, but either too far above or too far below the player to be seen. I have seen this happen with surface rocks where a material will spawn below the planet's surface and continue to fall away until it is out of range.
3. The targetable portion of these crystal structures is spawning when it should not.

...so let me clarify...
This is not about general bio or geo sites.
This is (was) specifically about Crystalline Shards.

Have you actually been to a Crystalline Shard site? I think not, else you'd be well aware of this issue.
At least watch that movies posted right here in this thread

This is not about general bio or geo sites.
This is (was) specifically about Crystalline Shards.

Have you actually been to a Crystalline Shard site? I think not, else you'd be well aware of this issue.
At least watch that movies posted right here in this thread
I have, actually. What I have not done is spend time harvesting materials from them. I merely mentioned the Bio and Geo sites, as they have exhibited similar behaviors for quite some time, and I did watch at least one of the videos, specifically the one with the 0/2 - wt! notation. Next time you want to "think not", please do so in the most Descartian way possible.

It was fairly obviously a fetching / rendering bug. When working correctly, you get one of two models. When not, you only get one, the other fails to appear.

Still, could be worse, you might have gotten the wrong model entirely, like 50% "hedgehog" and 50% Thargoid Cyclops or whatever. And if that had triggered the "what does a Thargoid Cyclops do" routine, that would have been problematic.

Top Bottom