Crew : What is the point

Hi,

I've been back in elite for a couple a couple of months, and I've loved it, maybe made my best progress in it this time around.
I now feel happy with my diamondback exploring, beluga mining, and python bounty hunting.. The beluga mining was shockingly profitable, no idea why i hadn't tried mining before!
Anyway, i thought i would try putting an anaconda together, which i have done and it works fine.

Then i thought i would try having crew to fly fighters.

Disappointments:

1. although i can have 2 fighters in my ship, i can only have one crew.
2. although i can have 3 crew, i can only use one at a time.
3. although 2 of of my crew get to stay at home, they still get full hazard pay!
4. I sacked my little gang less than an hour after hiring them.
5. I sold the fighter bay.
6. I've been sitting here wondering how to make this work so long I've done very little flying this evening.

What a stupid broken system the crew thing is,
Tomorrow, I will put it from my mind and pretend it doesn't exist but for the remainder of today i'm going to sulk!

If anything for immersion I would like to have a 'crew'. The SLF thing has been broached many a times with various explanations/excuses

I always enjoy having my elite crew flying cover for me

Points 1,2 are good. Point 3 is not accurate, they dont get full pay when they are inactive, but they still get some pay.

One would think all turrets could be man-able by npc crew and behave better than "auto" mode. Make them have a base "upkeep" (salary) so that players wont just get them all the time just to buff turrets ...but they can be functionally utilized in that way on particular occasions where they can be useful (particularly hard mission).

What's stupider than npc crew is multi-player crew. Basically every aspect of it doesn't make much sense.

Points 1,2 are good. Point 3 is not accurate, they dont get full pay when they are inactive, but they still get some pay.
Thanks Darth, that is some good news! I was thinking it didn't add up when I saw comments in other posts with people having 3 elite crew.

I've found a new disappointment though.

7. Do they consume 50% of experience points gained?

Once you're elite, it doesn't matter. I'm thinking the point is to not have to lean on npcs to learn the ropes when starting with the game. I always keep my 2 (had them since the feature was added). They've accrued well over a billion credits

OMG, that would be a dream come true if you could have both SLFs out manned by your NPC crew. I could finally treat my Type 10 as a mini carrier. Honestly, would it really make that much of a difference if you could do it? I think only a handful of ships have the capacity to do this sort of thing and they are among the biggest of ships out there. Might as well let them all act as mini carriers. All it really does by letting both fighters out is to add one more gun to a fight. Yes it would make things perhaps a bit too easy in a CZ but then, you could always move up a notch and start going after the big Thargoid ships.

As it stands now, there's no reason to have more than one hired crew. You can have two fighters active at once, it's just that one of them has to be flown by a player. Otherwise, the second bay is just so you have more spares or one for you to fly if you don't like what the crew flies.

Hired crew are actually useful once you train them up especially if you're in a ship that's not very fast. You can send them off to tag a ship that might get blown up before you can reach it. That way you still get the bounty.

OMG, that would be a dream come true if you could have both SLFs out manned by your NPC crew. I could finally treat my Type 10 as a mini carrier. Honestly, would it really make that much of a difference if you could do it? I think only a handful of ships have the capacity to do this sort of thing and they are among the biggest of ships out there. Might as well let them all act as mini carriers. All it really does by letting both fighters out is to add one more gun to a fight. Yes it would make things perhaps a bit too easy in a CZ but then, you could always move up a notch and start going after the big Thargoid ships.
When designing a game, it's best to assume players are going to do the least amount of work to achieve any goal. That none are going to go out of their way to make their game harder unless they have to (even if that thing is more fun).

You could balance big ships like this for sure, but you'd have to make the regular activity available in these cz's and res sites not profitable for such a ship. You'd have to make the cost of having such a ship higher than the profits you can easily get farming.

You'd have to assign a cost to npc crew above and beyond the cut they get when you make money so that their use requires the participation in activities beyond the easy ones.

That means you'd have to scale the profit from activities different than they are now. easy grindy activities in cz's and res sites and such would have to be capped at low income (lower than it is now). Then you'd have to make the much harder activities (fighting larger thargoid ships, fighting spec ops ships etc) worth much more than they are now.

I wish now that fighters exist, fdev would do a total rebalance of large ships so that they behaved their size. Get rid of the small ship / large ship hit point handicap and make large ships prefer equipping turrets because they turn too slow for other weapons to be effective. But those weapons should be devastating to small ships if they land. Small ships would be like annoying flies to bigger ships unless in large numbers.

Then larger ships would lean on fighters to defend itself against small ships, and their weapons would be geared towards combat with larger ships (since their larger turrets wouldn't be too effective at hitting tiny fast moving targets).

things are balanced the way they are now as if fighters still dont exist. It's beyond time to change that.

You can have two fighters active at once, it's just that one of them has to be flown by a player.
I never knew this!!! I have 2 Fighter bays and potential 3 crew on my Federal Corvette. I hire and fire a 150k fighter pilot every time I was to take it into combat. I always just take one pilot and let him fly the Trident SLF as a 2 man mini wing, I fly the Vette.

Sooo, in theory, if you can do this then your first statement is incorrect, because if there are just two of you, and you are both in SLF's the Vette is "pilotless" ?

But if you had 2 NPC expert 150k crew, 1 NPC SLF pilot, yourself as an SLF pilot, and the 2nd NPC pilot to fly the Vette?

I will try this over the next few days. A 3 man mini wing from 1 CMDR in a HAZ RES sounds interesting. Not sure if i trust an NPC flying my Vette in combat though while i'm in a SLF. Do the NPC's pilots know how to use chaff and SCB's , etc when they are flying the SLF mothership?

I never knew this!!! I have 2 Fighter bays and potential 3 crew on my Federal Corvette. I hire and fire a 150k fighter pilot every time I was to take it into combat. I always just take one pilot and let him fly the Trident SLF as a 2 man mini wing, I fly the Vette.

Sooo, in theory, if you can do this then your first statement is incorrect, because if there are just two of you, and you are both in SLF's the Vette is "pilotless" ?

But if you had 2 NPC expert 150k crew, 1 NPC SLF pilot, yourself as an SLF pilot, and the 2nd NPC pilot to fly the Vette?

I will try this over the next few days. A 3 man mini wing from 1 CMDR in a HAZ RES sounds interesting. Not sure if i trust an NPC flying my Vette in combat though while i'm in a SLF. Do the NPC's pilots know how to use chaff and SCB's , etc when they are flying the SLF mothership?
This is not what I meant, although it may be possible. I've not really experimented with this at all, but from what I've read, you can have a commander join you via multicrew and fly one SLF, and have your hired crew fly the other.

As I said though, I've never actually tried this so take it with a grain of salt. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in and tell me if this is true.

This is not what I meant, although it may be possible. I've not really experimented with this at all, but from what I've read, you can have a commander join you and fly one SLF, and have your hired crew fly the other.

As I said though, I've never actually tried this so take it with a grain of salt. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in and tell me if this is true.
I have taken the vette out with no NPC pilots, and parked it a fair way from a MEGA HAULER, 4 pips to shileds, then took a SLF out myself to inspect the MEGASHIPS turrets. That works, the vette just sits there pilotless.

You can equip your main ship with laser turrets, set them on auto-fire and then you and your slf crew pilot the fighters while the main ship is following you on auto-pilot shooting everything that moves.

A T-10 with a size 7 SLF BAY may work nicely :)

Hiring a crew member was great until the novelty wore off.

I recently hired another one to level up though... for something to do and to see if anything had changed... nope... same.

If actual player engagement was supported properly, you wouldn't need AI crew members. You should still be able to have some however and they should be beneficial, not a burden. That little SLF is like a mosquito. Give that thing some strength and make the big ships king of the hill again. Balance is fine, but big ships should be big trouble, not lumbering targets that can be picked apart by a nimble small pad ship.

Disappointments:

1. although i can have 2 fighters in my ship, i can only have one crew. Agreed it's dumb but alternative is worse, see below
2. although i can have 3 crew, i can only use one at a time. Ditto
3. although 2 of of my crew get to stay at home, they still get full hazard pay!. Common misconception and lack of knowledge leading to false conclusions, see below.
So, crew size and limitation. As people tend to say that FDEVs are disconnected and make dumb decissons - this one I support. Simply: if you could use more than one crew to pilot your SLFs then it's became mandatory standard as anything than max crew would mean everything less: protection/firepower/pew-pew. Using just one instead of 2 or 3 would be like installing size 1 pulse lasers into Corvette's large slots.

That would make combat even more broken where obvious advantage would have bigger ships - not only bigger with more armor and fire power but also bigger SLF support. Limiting to one is rather logical thing in an attempt to somewhat balance the outcome. Not saying it works as intended but at least it's constant along the board.

For the pay for inactive crew - quick reverse the table situation.

I'm the boss, you're the NPC but IRL. I hire you to do some paperwork for me. Then I go for a 3 month vacation without actually giving you the papers to work on. So for 3 months you just sit idly and do nothing. Your contract forbids you to take another job, you are bound to me exclusively. By your logic I shouldn't pay you anything for those 3 months since you didn't work.

Right?

I'm the Employer, you're the worker. I hire you to do some paperwork for me. Then I go for a 3 month vacation without actually giving you the papers to work on. So for 3 months you just sit idly and do nothing. Your contract forbids you to take another job, you are bound to me exclusively. By your logic I shouldn't pay you anything for those 3 months since you didn't work.

Right?
Funny enough, this perfectly describes whats wrong with UK Zero hours contracts used by big companies / Supermarkets. This is how they work in real life!!

Top Bottom