Crew Members for lone wolf wing use. And Carrier security teams.

Since you can recruit up to 3 of these at great expense and at great lengths to upskill to Elite, why can't we appoint them to fly our fleet of ships, which could be designated to them individually so that they can accompany us on protection detail?

Now imagine having an actual valuable use for them besides a mere fighter that lags everyone out. Although, if this causes lagging also then kiss Open goodbye. 😂

It would be an interesting feature, though, especially if you had to float any rebuys for your own ships should any of your crew get shot out of space. I think the current credit sink with crew members when they are little more than small fighter crew really doesn't add up, especially if you appointed 3 Elite crew members at the lowest rate which would still eat 30% of all take home revenue.

As for Carriers. Imagine having a security team that have your safety as their primary interest. You could pay upkeep on different quality security teams. Intermediate, advanced and Elite! So if you're in a system where you Carrier is stationed that team could come to your aid quickly and being quality dependant would dictate the type of ships and engineering they sport.

I doubt Fontier's code could handle that racket, though. Free for all! Haha.

Nope... we'll never see it I think.

The stance is that when you trade for a couple million per run, which is not exactly exciting, you're supposed to somehow summon another player to be your protection and it would have to be for the LULZ because there's no way to pay them other than wing trade div. This activity would also be incredibly boring and pointless as there is no way to prevent the weaker ship from being attacked first or separately and destroyed or chased off in moments.

Besides, there isn't an NPC flying that poses a serious challenge to a well equipped player ship.

Nope... we'll never see it I think.

The stance is that when you trade for a couple million per run, which is not exactly exciting, you're supposed to somehow summon another player to be your protection and it would have to be for the LULZ because there's no way to pay them other than wing trade div. This activity would also be incredibly boring and pointless as there is no way to prevent the weaker ship from being attacked first or separately and destroyed or chased off in moments.

Besides, there isn't an NPC flying that poses a serious challenge to a well equipped player ship.
Except the wing would be assigned your ships. So if you have engineered some serious ships and you couple them with Elite NPC's, they could easily offer sufficient protection. The only downside is having to pay the credit value should said ships be destroyed. But at least your NPC's would be earning the many millions or hundreds of millions they take for being station bums for the most part.

Inactive wing members taking the full fee always irked me. This shouldn't be the case and if we had better uses of them then it wouldn't be so sore a loss over time.

Except the wing would be assigned your ships. So if you have engineered some serious ships and you couple them with Elite NPC's, they could easily offer sufficient protection.

Not really. Any skilled PvP pilot will wipe the floor with my Elite NPC.

What's stopping an attacker from having a wing of his own? You'd be back at square one.

NPC wings only make sense in the context of PVE, but in the current state that's not needed for a variety of (unfortunate) reasons.

Last edited:
What's stopping an attacker from having a wing of his own? You'd be back at square one.

NPC wings only make sense in the context of PVE, but in the current state that's not needed for a variety of (unfortunate) reasons.
This is true, but why are we allowed to recruit 3 crew members who do nothing but take a whack of cash only to be assigned to tiny fighters and one at a time?

If they could fix the lag when deploying one measly fighter first, then we can look at dropping in 3 NPC wingmates 😛

This is true, but why are we allowed to recruit 3 crew members who do nothing but take a whack of cash only to be assigned to tiny fighters and one at a time?

I think if we were to hire more crew members in the future, maybe FDev would have to rebalance payouts. Even a trained from harmless NPC pilot still takes a fair chunk of salary. 3 and you're probably halving your profits

Not really. Any skilled PvP pilot will wipe the floor with my Elite NPC.

Depends.... an ELITE NPC with fixed Weapons can snipe an SLF over 5km ;)
In a potent Ship with fixed Weapons, a Crew NPC has surprised many unsuspecting CMDRs while the owner had fun in the SLF and enjoyed the show.

It's a very bad idea to underestimate a good NPC/CMDR Combo with the CMDR in the SLF.
(not many use Ship builds like that though and the SLF lag still is a fundamental issue)

Last edited:
Top Bottom