Could someone test something for me?

Console player, no alpha access, yada yada...

Anyway, now that the alpha is in phase 2 and "we" have the ability to land manually on an atmospheric world... I'd like a brave, intrepid soul (someone with time to waste on this idle curiousity) to give something a go.

I've seen on streams already that there's no atmospheric entry effects on the ships when approaching from Supercruise and transitioning into Glide.

But what about approaching from orbit in normal space?

You could argue (and it has been) that you wouldn't see atmospheric drag and aerodynamic heating when in Glide mode because it's an extension of Supercruise and therefore the warp bubble is still active and preventing drag.

If this were the case it would stand to reason then that this wouldn't apply when (tediously) approaching from normal space.

So, let's put it to the test; let's see if Frontier has still got an eye for detail.

If you feel like indulging this likely waste of time, find yourself the thickest atmosphere you can land on and try approaching the surface from orbit totally in normal space. It could even be velocity dependent, so as another test, it might be worth using the FA-off trick to get your ship up to an orbital velocity before descending.

Then, answers in this thread.

I think I know what the answers will turn up, but I still hold a little bit of hope.

Anyway, cheers if you can spare some time on this.

(And yes, this atmospheric entry effects thing IS the hill I am going to die on)

Last edited:
you knew in advance, didn't you?
I have no advance knowledge, just pessimistic hunches being counterbalanced with a fool's hope.

If I had alpha access I'd test it myself and wouldn't have made the thread, but curiosity got the better of me.

Oh, that's...

☹️

Well thank you for confirming it. It's disappointing, but good to know it's worth continuing to badger Frontier about.

Top Bottom