[Controls][HOTAS] Double-function buttons

Hello FDevs,

A simple idea that would significantly increase number of functions that player can assign to his/her HOTAS setup (we never have enough buttons for our needs):
make every button double-function:
  1. short click will work as it works now
  2. long click (holding button for 1s or something like that) would trigger different function
I know that certain buttons (i.e. fire weapon) would not benefit from this, but many would. For example: short click would turn external lights on/off, long click would turn night vision on/off.
Please think about this.

O7,
CMDR Eus Tach

One trick you can do. Is invest in another HOTAS setup for your left hand. My Setup x52 Pro and Saitek ST290 Pro Which is what I have done. Other people use Voice Attack for other controls.

You can use modifier buttons. For example my pinky button (which is bound to go to FAOff while holding it) also is bound together with some other buttons If i use other buttons by themselves, they do one thing. If i hold the pinkie button down and then use the same button, it does something else.

Mind you, your idea is not bad. But i guess the workaround i use is faster than getting this implemented.

Last edited:
Build a button box, HID Compliant controller is only £5 on E-Bay 2019-05-05 16.02.18.jpg

Your suggestion is already do-able using the software which comes with your HOTAS.

TARGET Script uses a TEMPO function to do just what you’re after.
This can also be done using joystick gremlin and most likely via the Logitech software as well.

Clicker

Thank you all for your advice.
I managed to get what I wanted using control manager tool that comes with my CH HOTAS. But I must say it requires some effort to understand and properly use this environment.
For this reason, I would be happy to see the proposed improvement in the Elite, as it would be practically effortless to use, compared to HOTAS soft.

O7

Thank you all for your advice.
I managed to get what I wanted using control manager tool that comes with my CH HOTAS. But I must say it requires some effort to understand and properly use this environment.
For this reason, I would be happy to see the proposed improvement in the Elite, as it would be practically effortless to use, compared to HOTAS soft.

O7
So you want Frontier to make a control managers tool that works for all HOTAS builds. That would be a lot of work for a Game company and it not their responsibility. Frontier did basic control for Most HOTAS builds. Joystick manufacture has to account for their extra buttons, not Frontier.

I use two Saitek Joysticks in Elite dangerous at the same time. So I use Saitek software to manage both sticks.

So you want Frontier to make a control managers tool that works for all HOTAS builds. <CUT>
Nothing so complex. Just a simple function that handles 2 types of clicks for the buttons.
I do not know how much work it is for FDev. If not much I would gladly see it done, otherwise I would prefer for FDev to forget the idea and concentrate their attention on the game content.
Either way, its FDev decision since only they know if the idea is worth the effort. From my perspective it's just a minor improvement, don't know how other players feel about it. Feel free to comment.

cheers and O7.

Top Bottom