"Console development continues behind the scenes with an Autumn release still on schedule"

I hope I'm wrong, but I reckon that we won't be seeing Odyssey on last gen consoles.

I believe that David Braben's post about ditching console development for now (to concentrate on pc) and not giving us any sort of new console release date, is his way of softening the blow for when he (maybe sometime next year) makes another post telling us that either console release is scrapped completely, or they are now only doing it for new gen consoles.

Sadly the console situation is becoming ever more aligned with the macOS experience. Whether by design or accident, Frontier have allowed a situation where console users are incentivised to get a gaming PC if they want to play Odyssey in the near future.
I already have a gaming PC. I'm using it right now... for work. The only game I have on it is Star Citizen (and I rarely touch that).

All my other gaming is done on Playstation, including Elite Dangerous which I've been playing on PS4 since its launch. I've put 2,500+ hours into ED building up a CMDR and a fleet and I'm not going to be switching to PC to play it. Certainly not with FDev's current policy of only transferring credits when migrating accounts to different platforms.

2 and a half months after full release and they still can't get it to work on PC even with throwing the full team behind it. Honestly be glad it's not coming to console because it is nowhere even near ready. It's still in Alpha over there in PC land no matter what they say.

I hope I'm wrong, but I reckon that we won't be seeing Odyssey on last gen consoles.

I believe that David Braben's post about ditching console development for now (to concentrate on pc) and not giving us any sort of new console release date, is his way of softening the blow for when he (maybe sometime next year) makes another post telling us that either console release is scrapped completely, or they are now only doing it for new gen consoles.
it was the bit when David posted
'...but the dates and details of the console platforms are going to change...' that seemed to suggest that last gen consoles were not going to get Odyssey

I think Frontier will delay the console development until there will be not enough players to make it feasible in the first place, and then they'll just say sorry, it's not feasible anymore, we'll stay on PC. Honestly, it just sounds totally outlandish that something that was previously in development for consoles is now suddenly cancelled, with the promise of being developed again some time in the future. I mean come on. I simply cannot believe such a statement.

They have some very serious problems getting the code to work. It doesn't bode well for the future but if they can get it to run on PCs the X series should be fine

At a push, I'll buy a Series X to play Elite on but I'm not moving to PC.
A, cross-saves aren't supported and
B, I just don't want one.
Also C I use Linux
I too don't want a gaming pc just to play Odyssey. I prefer the laptop that I have.

I am not actually a big gamer. I have a few games, but I only really play ED on PS4. At the time, I had some spare cash to buy a new PS4 and ED. I have always loved the Elite franchise and have played on and off since 1986.

As much as I love the game, there is no way that I'd buy a PS5 just to play Odyssey, unless there was going to be a shed load of new content that comes with it, which I can't see happening.

So unless Frontier keeps the Horizon servers open for us console users, so that we can still play (which they probably won't once Odyssey has merged with Horizons) then my Elite experience will end and I'll just go back to NMS, which at least is still being developed for PS4, has free updates, total cross play, etc...

I'm see a glimmer of hope for Odyssey.

I fly both XBSX (finally found one) and PC. Odyssey on my ASUS ROG G752VY plays well now (Philips 43 4k monitor) so, I'm hoping the schedule for console will be re-instated.

Not a fan of ground combat yet, but only because this game has so much to do I cannot get to all of it yet - still have to do serious exploration (EDO looks really good for that), Thargoid hunting and serious PVP. Retired so I can play everyday as much as I want, so space sim fun is my primary objective (7.5K hrs XB/750 hrs PC). Started flying PC to use Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS/Pedals and wing with Power Play discord friends.

XBSX closed the graphics gap and I do have a group of pilots on XB that frequent my FC for Power Play and squadron BGS, so keeping both accounts active is easy. PC still has better graphics and a larger player base to coordinate operations support so it's becoming my go to gaming platform. The EDO GUI is also much better for trading and running missions, so I hope the wait for EDO on console is not too long. The last update appears to be running bug free on my PC so I'm more than encouraged.

And one detail, we don't even receive the Horizons updates from Update 6
They have to launch it yes or yes, since applying the logic, they could not merge oddysey with horizons by console users.

Top Bottom