Conservation and Empathy design choices in Planet Zoo

Hello all, I am currently doing a lot of thinking on how animal conservation is presented in zoos and in media like planet zoo, particularly the use of empathy to connect people with the animals forming a bond that makes them more likely to want to protect them. It has become a whole active field within zoo education departments and research. In thinking about this I have been comparing planet zoo against zoo tycoon 2 and zoo tycoon 2013 as I think zoo tycoon defiantly had this trajectory towards intractability with zoo keeper mode and marine mammal training in zoo tycoon 2 and then the interaction stations in zoo tycoon 2013 as well as getting updates on animals that are returned to the wild or sent to another zoo. Planet Zoo seems to be more management based, and so I have been thinking on what the game has done to push empathetic responses from players without the ability to interact with the animals in the game. Do the little animated interaction between animals, babies playing with parents, grooming, and breeding interactions, really get that response, or is the game lacking some really obvious design choice that promotes empathy?
I was also curious if you think planet zoo presents conservation well, as from what I can tell it primarily is focused in a few sentences in the zoopedia, the IUCN status, a paragraph of text when setting up conservation signs and how many conservation credits you receive when releasing a species into the wild, and I was curious if that seems to be it, and do you think that is enough?

I dunno. Getting an empathetic response from tiny virtual animals (beyond what's already provided) seems unlikely. I'd like to see some form of emphasis on better breeding and conservation practices - bonuses for keeping your percentage of 'inbred' animals low, for releasing high genetic rare animals to the wild and so on.

Frankly, my focus in the game is entirely on building zoos that work well for the animals (I'm crappy at it as I'm just starting but still...) and goals like breeding albinos for funsies or whatever don't excite me as much as (imagining) that I'm keeping happy animals and helping the (virtual) populations.

Hello all, I am currently doing a lot of thinking on how animal conservation is presented in zoos and in media like planet zoo, particularly the use of empathy to connect people with the animals forming a bond that makes them more likely to want to protect them. It has become a whole active field within zoo education departments and research. In thinking about this I have been comparing planet zoo against zoo tycoon 2 and zoo tycoon 2013 as I think zoo tycoon defiantly had this trajectory towards intractability with zoo keeper mode and marine mammal training in zoo tycoon 2 and then the interaction stations in zoo tycoon 2013 as well as getting updates on animals that are returned to the wild or sent to another zoo. Planet Zoo seems to be more management based, and so I have been thinking on what the game has done to push empathetic responses from players without the ability to interact with the animals in the game. Do the little animated interaction between animals, babies playing with parents, grooming, and breeding interactions, really get that response, or is the game lacking some really obvious design choice that promotes empathy?
I was also curious if you think planet zoo presents conservation well, as from what I can tell it primarily is focused in a few sentences in the zoopedia, the IUCN status, a paragraph of text when setting up conservation signs and how many conservation credits you receive when releasing a species into the wild, and I was curious if that seems to be it, and do you think that is enough?

I posted a thread on conservation no one like it. ;( But i do love the ideas but before any of that can be done the animals need more attention so they can do more things in the zoo and it becomes more alive. But i think sadly it might not be this way unless developer see a point to it. :(

Top Bottom