Community Challegne - Primates

I believe shirandhak asks why there is no in-game info about the animals. When you go to the community challenge tab there are only CC listed as the rewards, even below chart showing if you are in top 10% players have no info about animals. Not everyone reads forum posts, they just play the game - and the game doesn't seem to communicate quite well
The question seemed to be "If you don't know the prize until the challenge ends, why did people know about it beforehand last time?"
We'll have to wait until they come back to know for sure I guess

Thank you for your answers :)

Both of you are right! :)
It confuses me, if there is a "challenge" in the game, but no info about it ingame - because that is where I go looking for answers. And I was even more confused, because some people seemed to know.

Planet Zoo is very challenging in getting yourself information about specific "problems" as everything is different as in other games and it is not very "outgoing" in telling you what to do - you just have to "know". If you haven't played PlanCo or JWE before (like me), even the smallest things tend to putting you down in the beginning. Without YouTube; I would have quitted the game right the first week.

I can’t really claim to be be a huge franchise player as I personally prefer sandbox. I would occasionally participate in the challenges tho to receive the avatar costume but since they announced there wouldn’t be any avatar costume I really no longer have any interest anymore. I know some liked the costume and some did not but less people seem interested now imo. Could be wrong here but I do wonder just how much this will affect future challenges.

I can’t really claim to be be a huge franchise player as I personally prefer sandbox. I would occasionally participate in the challenges tho to receive the avatar costume but since they announced there wouldn’t be any avatar costume I really no longer have any interest anymore. I know some liked the costume and some did not but less people seem interested now imo. Could be wrong here but I do wonder just how much this will affect future challenges.
I'm not even sure what the Avatar costumes were supposed to be.

5EFBBE64-00D6-47D7-8106-651CFC7B8747.png

I can’t really say honestly other then just a funny little suit for your avatar. I know some have stated on other forums they found them sort of creepy. I liked them from a collection stand point. Me personally I’d much rather be rewarded these over cc and albino animals any day. As I stated I can’t claim to be a huge franchise player but the avatar costume offered something unique imo.

It confuses me, if there is a "challenge" in the game, but no info about it ingame - because that is where I go looking for answers. And I was even more confused, because some people seemed to know.
The notification board on the main menu, should've been used for this one. You want the community to participate in the community challenge. So a little bit more communication would've been nice.

Planet Zoo is very challenging in getting yourself information about specific "problems" as everything is different as in other games and it is not very "outgoing" in telling you what to do - you just have to "know". If you haven't played PlanCo or JWE before (like me), even the smallest things tend to putting you down in the beginning. Without YouTube; I would have quitted the game right the first week.
I think having some experience with multiple management games helps a lot. When I played during Beta (so no YT videos), I only played JWE for only a few hours. So this whole building system was new to me.
Personally I like the challenge of exploring the game and it's features (even if you have to struggle to understand some of the basics) BUT I'm pretty sure that the majority of players do not share my views on this matter.

I lost a lot of interest of participating in this challenge too (just like the previous one). I don't want albino animals and have enough CC. I was expecting a change in reward - but I personally don't like it the change. (you know at some point, new animal costumes will become an issue) It's great for people who are a big fan of albino and don't have the CC to afford these. (maybe just starting out)

A bit offtopic but somewhat expected (edit) different rewards for other parts as well. You know, when you complete a scenario a statue of an animal is showing. At first I expected this meant a statue unlock for your game. Quickly obvious it wasn't.

Last edited:
bit offtopic but somewhat expecting different rewards for other parts as well. You know, when you complete a scenario a statue of an animal is showing. At first I expected this meant a statue unlock for your game. Quickly obvious it wasn't.
It would be awesome if we could get them. I need the Orangutan Statue

I think one of the reasons this challenge and the orangutan challenge failed is the interbirth period Bug. Female primates can only be pregnant again after their current baby matured. This makes breeding apes and some of the mokeys much more time intensive than the zoopedia intended. Thus the primate challenge has to be played with a dedicated breeding zoo, where the player farms babies with the fast time setting and no other animals to manage. But most players won't do it, because it is a waste of time.

A fun challenge should be playable with a normal zoo like the Asian animal or the lion challenge

I think a lot of people (like myself) also got tired of the constant lag and unresponsiveness in franchise, especially the animal market, and went to play challenge or sandbox instead. So there are less people taking part in the community challenge than before, and I'm pretty sure the endless repetition of "release this" and "breed that" also doesn't help when it comes to keeping people interested...

This challenge won't fail - it is already completed.
But I think, Nioell is right: Sandbox is surely more fun for me. Franchise is very repetitiv (and laggy).

I think a lot of people (like myself) also got tired of the constant lag and unresponsiveness in franchise, especially the animal market, and went to play challenge or sandbox instead. So there are less people taking part in the community challenge than before, and I'm pretty sure the endless repetition of "release this" and "breed that" also doesn't help when it comes to keeping people interested...
I agree that the release/breed x is not very inviting anymore.

Also the lag when you have a few habitats or a couple of thousend guests make the game alsmost unplayable (even on an above recommended computer!). And yes I know you can limit the guests ammount, but that will also reduce your income, so in a bit larger zoo you simply can not do that, and thus the lag makes the game unplayable :(

The zoo I did the challenge in got limited to 6K people and at peak I had 170 to 180 animals... I was commonly at 30 FPS or less. I had plenty of real estate to add even more had things not struggled when I was around 7K people. I've said this on other threads... with my new zoo for animals that I have never done with exact same settings on the video card, intake fans and exhaust fans I am using the video card 99% of the time. This drops to 40 to 50% usage when the zoos are the size of above described zoo. And I do get tired of clicking 4, 5, 10 times in the market to get an animal or even just to see the specs on it.

Also forgot to mention the delivering animals from Trade Center... to deliver 7 animals took about 50 to 60 clicks.

Last edited:
I think one of the reasons this challenge and the orangutan challenge failed is the interbirth period Bug. Female primates can only be pregnant again after their current baby matured. This makes breeding apes and some of the mokeys much more time intensive than the zoopedia intended. Thus the primate challenge has to be played with a dedicated breeding zoo, where the player farms babies with the fast time setting and no other animals to manage. But most players won't do it, because it is a waste of time.

A fun challenge should be playable with a normal zoo like the Asian animal or the lion challenge
But both those challenges didn't fail. And it isn't a bug that they don't breed till baby is matured. There are a few animals that are the same way. It goes to how they raise their young being priority over interbirth period. If you remove the young they will breed again after interbirth period.

It goes to how they raise their young being priority over interbirth period. If you remove the young they will breed again after interbirth period.
Do you have a source that this is a conscious design decision by Frontier and not an exploit?
Planet zoo describes itself as "a world where animal welfare and conservation comes first." And there are consequences in the game when animals are harmed. For example, inbreeding can cause infertile animals and low welfare causes protesters and less donations.

Separating baby animals from their mother to reduce her interbirth period can be done in real live. Animal abusers like Joe Exotic do it. But it causes stress for the mother and can cause behavioural disorders for the pubs, because they have no paragon an wont learn their natural behaviours. If prematurely separating the young from their family were a game mechanic, frontier would have implemented some adverse consequences for it.

Last edited:
Do you have a source that this is a conscious design decision by Frontier and not an exploit?
Planet zoo describes itself as "a world where animal welfare and conservation comes first." And there are consequences in the game when animals are harmed. For example, inbreeding can cause infertile animals and low welfare causes protesters and less donations.

Separating baby animals from their mother to reduce her interbirth period can be done in real live. Animal abusers like Joe Exotic do it. But it causes stress for the mother and can cause behavioural disorders for the pubs, because they have no paragon an wont learn their natural behaviours. If prematurely separating the young from their family were a game mechanic, frontier would have implemented some adverse consequences for it.
Honestly, you are taking it way too seriously. First, inbreeding in game can also cause perfect 100% quality animals. So that isn't a good standard to use to compare other in game mechanics. Ideally, you should keep the young with mother till it is an adult. Separating them won't cause any issue in game because there are other reasons to do so. Putting them in trade center haults aging too, which isn't realistic. Game mechanics over realism.

It does not shorten their interbirth period either. Just allows them to breed once that period is over. If it bothers you personally to do that, then don't and wait till the animal is an adult. For this challenge Lemurs count anyways and are way faster to breed than the larger primates. During the Orangatan challenge I had two enclosures, one for breeding adults and one for babies to go to. I kept two adults in there just for personal preference cause I didn't like the idea of babies being alone and wanted them to age outside of trade center.

The problem with that for many species in the game is that many animals can have babys up until they die, wich mean a female can give birth and then die shortly after. Another problem is that the young ones are at "baby" stage right until they reach adulthood, long after the female would have given it up in real life. So it woudn't really work or be natural for the babys in the game to stay with their mother untill they grow up (not to mention the fact that many animals will start fighting eachother the second the babys grow up, so you almost have to move them before that)

Top Bottom